THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Who makes the black paint that gives that "stringy" effect on stocks?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who makes the black paint that gives that "stringy" effect on stocks?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looks like webbing over a solid color?

Thanks, Rob

Posts: 1690 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted Hide Post
Look around on Brownell's, think they've got paint like that. It's called the "crinkle" finish.
Either that or just wrap up your rifle with black duct tape, that'll be all stringy enough!

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Pull back the lining of your GM automobile trunk area and look at the spray finish there. If you are talking about the spider web appearing paint, that is available at one of your auto parts supply stores or auto body repair shop. Local smith has finished synthetic stocks for some years now using it and it does a nice job if you like that type of finish. Durable and am told it is solvent proof.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
don't know - always liked the dull oil kind Big Grin

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
testors... seriously...

get a small bottle of gloss black... pour it into a wide cup... just before it sets up (you will have minutes, not seconds to work) you can get a coffee stirrer "Straw" and dip it in, then drizzle it over the stock...

OR, just use a small squeeze bottle to do the same, and would increase the pot life some

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39661 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Recoil Rob:
Looks like webbing over a solid color?

Thanks, Rob

Back when I was doing custom auto body and paint work (mid 1970's) it was called "spider webbing". You achieved the effect by shooting thick lacquer on a very low pressure setting. Today's stuff looks to be the same.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My stock painter uses Polane by Sherwin Williams.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree with Butchlambert. Unthinned Polane will spiderweb whether you want it to or not. The only way to stop it from spiderwebbing is to thin it. (this is when spraying it). It's really tough too. It was used at one time to paint pay phone wall units.

Posts: 220 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unthinned Polane will spiderweb whether you want it to or not.

No, not really. It will splatter, but it will not spiderweb unless you mix something else with it.

It definitely is tough stuff.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Krylon Webbing Spray I have used the black over the textured Krylon.

Posts: 39 | Location: Oregon USA | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In collegiate shotgun competition a friends son had black spider webbing on a lime green Beretta semiauto which he used while on the Purdue University team.Most didn't remember his name but when they saw that Beretta in the rack they all knew Jordan M was there.Vandalia Ohio collegiate shooters got to know that shotgun also.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Krylon. I have used it for decorative projects in painting decor and it works well. I don't know how hard it is by it will work just fine.
If you really want to use Poulan it can be done with a spray gun. A booth really helps as it gets messy. Thinned or unthinned doesn't really matter but a 10% thinning gives results I prefer. A little lighter and less texture. You can create a gun that will spit by ruining a needle or by fouling your gun.
You can ruin a needle by taking a file to one edge of the tip and creating a flat that will not stop the flow of paint once the air is added.
You can foul a tip by letting some of the paint dry on the tip and inside the tip where the needle travels. This also prevents the flow of paint from completely stopping when the trigger is released.
It is this continued flow of paint under various degrees of air pressure that gives the spitting or webbing effect. The rest is practice in moving the gun back and forth beyond the edges of the target area.

In any case you want the gun to begin spitting as soon as air is added. Either a siphon feed or gravity feed will work but having an air control other that the trigger is best. I use a small pressure regulator that sits on the bottom of the gun and by changing the amount of air pressure I am able to dictate the size of the spitting and webbing effect. A little spatter once in a while doesn't hurt either to blend.
The target must dry rather quickly so an air source helps and a heated air source is better. Again practice will tell you how close to be. You don't want the air source to affect the paint pattern but you don't want the paint the flow out flat either.

See why the Krylon is a better source. Just shake it and press the button to spray. They have already figured out how the tip needs to be altered and how much pressure needs to be in the can.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CAS II:
quote:
Unthinned Polane will spiderweb whether you want it to or not.

No, not really. It will splatter, but it will not spiderweb unless you mix something else with it.

It definitely is tough stuff.

Forgot to mention I was using a Binks 2001 gun with an internal mix nozzel.
I'll bet it would just splatter with an external mix nozzel. Smiler

I sure wasn't trying for the spiderweb effect when I discovered this. Big Grin

Posts: 220 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the issue is with the definition of "spiderweb". I have sprayed gallons of the stuff, with several different setups, and have never seen it spiderweb (by my definition) without adding something to cause it.

The two on the right are what I would define as spiderweb: