New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 Lapua Mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What action would be best to build a 338 Lapua Magnum on? The purpose of this rifle would be long range target/varmint.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that the Lapua .338 was designed as a long range anti-personnel round.

I believe that in that use, it's effective.

Still, due to recoil it would be an unusual choice for a target rifle.

That said, I was hanging around last year when a gunsmith friend--target smith, actually--rebarreled an Accuracy International. When he finished--and the rifle was very accurate--he referred to it as "Your average 20lb rifle."

LOL.

flaco

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just buy a Sako TRG-42 and go shooting. Out of the box the will shoot with most custom rifles. I also had an HS Precision 338 Lapua and it was a good rifle, but I sold it because the Sako is a great rifle..................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
anything that will take a rigby case.

recoil is not about the same as a 416 rigby, in a 10# gun...

so, enfield, cz 550 mag, ruger RSM, bauska bbk 02, big weatherby, then the higher dollar stuff.

incredible round, and very fast
jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'Day fella's,

Heavy Barrel, I have a factory Rem 700 MLR, in .338 Lap mag, and I'm exceedingly happy with this combo!
It still has the factory 26" barrel but I have lapped the bolt locking lugs and lightened the trigger to 2 1/2pound!
Even I can shoot the occasional 3/4" 5 shot group with Hornady hunting bullets,and I'm no BR shooter!!!

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

Lick the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity Just Once and You Will Suck For Life!

Posts: 459 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the Montana PH action will take a Rigby case. You might check that out.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have an Armalite AR-30, actually the first one made, serial number 7 and it is very accurate. People build 338s on REmington 700s and PGS makes bolts; others say not to.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
My ideal combo would be a Stillers Tac 338 action with a Shilen match grade barrel 30" long, McMillian A5 stock, and a very good piece of glass like a Schmidt and bender (SP?)
That is $1500 less the glass
But at $4 a round for the cheapest ammo and $1 per round reloaded for consumables only. I think i'll have my reality check now and move on to something else.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I second the AR-30. Out of the box value can't be beat.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
cheapest way would be the Savage. I would still take the 338 edge over it any day.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1088 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
True; the Savage is the best value going and will be superbly accurate. As for alternatives, consider the 338 RUM; it gives about the same ballistics and everything is cheaper; brass and rifles anyway. I have both.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What kind of varmints do you hunt with a .338?

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Defiance Machine actions

Posts: 528 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leo L.:
What kind of varmints do you hunt with a .338?

Two legged type.

Or the other smart arse remark "Anything I want".

I want one just to have. then try to learn to shoot at a decent range. There is nothing like getting your dope dialed in at 750 yards. Shoot ten rounds and go look at your target to see you stitched the sucker with a group you can cover with your hand.
I wouldn't mind trying that at 1200 yards.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the real difference in it and the 338 Ultra Mag?

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Based solely on reloading data and factory ballistics. The .338 RUM tops out with a 250 grain bullet at about 2860 fps where as the .338 Lapua with the same bullet will kick it out at at 2980 to 3000 fps but the .338 is rated for up to a 300 grain bullet at 2750 fps where the RUM is not recommended for heavier bullets I don't know why but maybe it's pressure.
Case capacity of the RUM is 1 gr of water short of the Lapua. so they are essentially identical but no ojne wants to hear that. It's the same reason I have a .220 swift instead of a .22-250 I wanted to be different. SSo different in fact that a box of factory loads is double the cost of the .22-250 I'm still kicking myself over that one. Oh well when it's time to rebarrel I guess it will be a reality check.

The real difference is about $2 a shot difference in good factory loads. the Lapua being more expensive.
Each are around a $1 to reload after the cost of brass and dies are discounted.

The Lapua is the same as me wanting a .416 Rigby. I have no use for it, I seriously doubt I'll be getting over to Africa anytime soon. But damn that thing will get your attention when shooting it.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
Other actions to consider if you are interested in LR shooting would be:

Stiller Tac 338
Lawton 8500
BAT L2R
Defiance XL action
Surgeon 1581 XL

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1088 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
What is the real difference in it and the 338 Ultra Mag?

In my opinion the real difference is in the quality Brass available for the Lapua....Lapua Brass....specifically.

The big case head creates some issues for sure. It is basically a scaled up 308Win....pretty well balanced and easy to get accurate with a wide range of powders and bullets.

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I use the same loads in both to keep it simple; only difference is that the RUM will fit into actions that you have to squeeze the Lapua into. Depends on how different you want to be; that is why I have both. Couldn't decide. But the RUM is more practical for a lot of reasons. Don't let that stop you from getting a Lap.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hvy Barrel:

If you are actually ONLY looking for the action at this point, not a pre-built rifle, look at the 338 LM tab at this link - http://www.elr-resources.com/R...20All%2011252012.xls

You will NOT find Remington, Savage, or Weatherby as none of them, as best I am able to determine, sell actions direct to end users (thru an FFL of course) but all sell 338 LM-based rifles.

IMHO, a 338 Norma Magnum would be a better "solution" for which to chamber the associated rifle. The shorter cartridge OAL will allow more projectile options and the ballistics are almost identical - tending to favor the NM in all comparative reviews I have seen.

ELR Researcher
www.elr-resources.com
Not a commercial business.
ELR...anything shorter is point blank!
NRA Endowment Member
CRPA Life Member

Posts: 77 | Location: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: 02 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Remington certainly does sell actions although it is often cheaper to buy a rifle and strip it for the action. (check Brownells)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I built mine on a Surgeon repeater 1581XL. Wonderful action, I especially like the integral rail.