THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    FACTORY RIFLE .458 LOTT WITH FULL LENGHT CARTRIDGES

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FACTORY RIFLE .458 LOTT WITH FULL LENGHT CARTRIDGES
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BER007
posted
Hi All,

As you know Ruger'll produced a .458 Lott factory rifle, and Winchester do the same thing but in custom M70.

I already have a CZ rechambered in .458 Lott, I used full lenght cartridges 2.850" to do my Lott rounds without problem.

I want to purchase a factory rifle in .458 Lott a Ruger or a M70. But can I used my full lenght cartridges in these models?

Or my gunsmith need to do job on it.

Thanks for you input.

------------------
BER007
Keep the faith in any circumstances
------------------------
BBER007@HOTMAIL.COM

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ber,
I don't know about the Ruger, but all of my Model 70 magnum long-actions allow a cartridge overall length of 3.6" (with bullet).

Check your loaded rounds and see if they are 3.6" or less.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
I would bet that the chamber will accept brass out to 2.870 or more in length, simply as an obvious safety issue.

GeorgeS has a good question, though. The express M70 has a 3.600 magazine length in all other calibers. Your CZ probably will accept 3.660 long loaded rounds.

I'd bet the factory length ammo and magazines will be 3.600 long.

Don

one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
GeorgeS and Don G,

Thanks for your reply. If I have done no mistakes the total lenght of my .458 Lott is 3.690".

I have one more question, I'm sure it's de dumb question. The Ruger's action accept a .416 Rigby cartridge too. This is a maximum lenght of 3.720". In this way what's wrong with my 3.690" lenght of my .458 Lott cartridge? (this is the dumb question). Thanks to light me on this.

I would bet that the chamber will accept brass out to 2.870 or more in length, simply as an obvious safety issue.

GeorgeS has a good question, though. The express M70 has a 3.600 magazine length in all other calibers. Your CZ probably will accept 3.660 long loaded rounds.

I'd bet the factory length ammo and magazines will be 3.600 long.

Don[/QUOTE]

------------------
BER007
Keep the faith in any circumstances
------------------------
BBER007@HOTMAIL.COM

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
The Ruger might be able to handle the 3.75 inch cartridges. I'm not sure about the M70 from the custom shop, maybe they will open it up to 3.65 or 3.75 inches, but that's getting pretty long for an M70.

QuickLoad and Cartridges of the World both list the "standard" length for the 458 Lott to be 3.60 inches, so I'll bet the M70 will stop there. The magazine on my 416 Rem Mag M70 is exactly 3.600 inches long. I really wish it was 3.65 or longer.

In that respect I think you may be better off keeping the CZ!

Don