THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Why Is The 338 Win Mag A "Difficult" Cartridge To Chamber For?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why Is The 338 Win Mag A "Difficult" Cartridge To Chamber For?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Sparticus, no problem.

I think you're right!

Brad

<JOHAN>
posted
Hmm

I had two rifles in 338 win mag.

One old Sako Finnbear and a Sako Safari.Both of them ate everything from 300 grains winchester ammo to 210gr nosler partitions.

Accuracy was 1 inch at 100 meters with everything from the Finnbear. The Safari was quite spectacular. 250 grain partions and Lapua miras went into 1-1/4 inch at 300 meters. I was almost affraid to use up it's luck.

The only cartridge in the Family that I find more attractive is 340 Wby. A fantastic round. I have to have one, or maybe a dakota 330.

I you find a accurate 338 that you like get it. I'm sure you will like it the more you use it.

/ JOHAN

[This message has been edited by JOHAN (edited 04-11-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Johan-I can hook you up with a fella who'll barrel you up a fantastic 340 if you need.

He's done a few for me and they shoot like a house a fire!

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A canadian friend of mine just e-mailed me a note about his .338's. Here is how his rifles are shooting:

"... went out to play with the 338's as discussed. All groups shot at 200 meters. Best load of the day: 225 Swift, RL-22, Fed 215, F-C Nickel =�2 shots into 1/4" at 200 meters, only 2 shots fired as I was sighting in and changing scope settings after 2 rounds. -repeated with two 2-shot 3/4" groups as I shifted the scope around�at 200 meters."

I erased the powder charge for obvious reasons, but he is always getting very small groups at 200 meters with 225-grain bullets.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote