New
Find
Notify
Tools

SXS 30.06 to rimmed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi, I have an opportunity to aquire a Baikal SXS in 30.06 could anyone suggest a rimmed case using roughly the same dimensions of a 30.06 case, like what are the choices in 30cal. chamberings.thanks........

Posts: 147 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tracks,
Your talking a potentially expensive route to go on something like a Baikal. But ... you could do a 30/06 Rimmed using the same case dimensions but using 400/350NE brass as your parent brass. Basically a 30/06 with a rim. But why not just stick with the 30/06 and a 220gr RN??
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Con, yeah I know it's only a Baikal but they are bloody solid, I know of one which has been customised and it shoots like a bolt and was regulated for 150gn at about 2500, this one I'm looking at has a asking price $500 I think new they are about 1300 and they haven't been out for long, the reason for a rimmed case is for ease of extraction if I remember the one above was modified for ejection on a rimmed case, just testing the water mate, it seems for 500 I shouldn't pass it up.....

Posts: 147 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Basic dimensions for the .400/.350 are the same as the 9.3X74R, so that would work. I make .400/.350 and .400/.360 from 9.3 brass.

A .30R Blaser reamer would clean up a .30-06 chamber, and the CIP max pressure for both cartridges is the same. This would seem the obvious choice.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tracks,
Let me know if you pass on that Baikal. Just buy it and set it up for a 220gr Woodleigh RN ... and chase some Sambar in thick fire regrowth areas. It would be a blast! Finding a reamer for a rimmed 30/06 or duplicate may not be easy over here, I certainly dont know of anything floating about. A rimmed 30/06 though using 400/350 brass could be done by "just" cutting a rim recess and then I assume some work on the extraction system would follow. Damn though I wish they made this rifle in 9.3x74R.
Cheers...
Con

One of Us
posted Hide Post
how about the .30 super, also known as the .300 H&H flanged. Its qa great round, though components are a bit spendy.
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tracks:
Hi, I have an opportunity to aquire a Baikal SXS in 30.06 could anyone suggest a rimmed case using roughly the same dimensions of a 30.06 case, like what are the choices in 30cal. chamberings.thanks........

Either the 7X65R or 8X65R case can be used. Just run them through a .30/'06 FL die, and trim to 63mm....... It is easier using one of these vs the 9.3X74R because there's a lot less neck trimming involved. The rim diameter is 0.520", and the shell holder (RCBS) is # 26.

I use RWS 7X65R cases to make 8X60RS brass. I have to trim the necks to 59mm, and running the cases through an 8X60S die shoves the shoulder back some. I don't know if your shoulders will be moved, but since your rounds will be headspacing on the rim on the first shot, anyway, it will not matter.....

I get my RWS cases from http://www.huntingtons.com/cases_rws.html

But, you may have a source in Australia.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies guys, will discuss some of your advice with my smith now I have somewhere to start,
Con I think McDonalds Gunshop has a new one in stock well he did a couple of weeks ago, he's the one who gave me the load info to regulate the barrels, thanks again.........

one of us
posted Hide Post
tracks,
Whitehorse Arms had one that was stiff to open. I think Bob DeVries (or Rolf Bachnick?) relieved it a bit to make it smoother to open and cleaned it up a bit. Testing then determined the bugger was a near MOA shooter. Rough around the edges ... but with a little work they scrub up pretty well. Ease of regulation with the jack screw was a revelation.
If I had the $$$, I'd buy one as a knock around hunting rifle for sure.
Cheers...
Con

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 7.62 x 54 R would give the same performance with stock dies and components. Its short and fat and so isn't dimensionally similar.

DT

Posts: 196 | Location: NC | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
quote:
Originally posted by tracks:

Either the 7X65R or 8X65R case can be used. Just run them through a .30/'06 FL die, and trim to 63mm....... It is easier using one of these vs the 9.3X74R because there's a lot less neck trimming involved. The rim diameter is 0.520", and the shell holder (RCBS) is # 26.

I use RWS 7X65R cases to make 8X60RS brass. I have to trim the necks to 59mm, and running the cases through an 8X60S die shoves the shoulder back some. I don't know if your shoulders will be moved, but since your rounds will be headspacing on the rim on the first shot, anyway, it will not matter.....

But, you may have a source in Australia.....

Bump. I am doing just this for my double ought six. I have 7x65R brass that I will be putting through my -06 dies and then drop it off at the gunsmith to have the rebates put in barrels/ejectors for the rimmed brass.Here is my question: what do I have the gunsmith put on the barrels?? I don't know what the rules or naming conventions are.

"7x65R-06"??

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just add 'RIMMED' to the 30-06 designation.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
Just add 'RIMMED' to the 30-06 designation.
Regards, Joe

That was my first thought ".30-06R" but then I run into the brass matching the gun problem. If I want to take the gun anywhere other than the UK, they will have to match. The brass I have is headstamped as "7x65R" so I thought if I had the gun stamped and just added the "-06" a cheeky mm or two to the right, the airline/customs folks (who are not trained gun people) would match the two numbers and be happy. I would think its easier to stamp the gun than the brass.

Would that work?

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote