New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spiral Fluted barrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A while back I saw a custom rifle on Gun Auction with a spiral interrupted fluted barrel. It just caught my fancy for some reason. Does anyone know who offers a barrel done this way? Thanks!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
E. R. Shaw also does a spiral flute job.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just be advised, E.R. Shaw was granted a patent on spiral fluting of rifle barrels. The sent me a letter through there attorney advising me that I had to stop advertising and selling spiral fluted barrels or they would take legal action. Hence the "temporarily unavailable" on our web site. You will also notice that on the twisted barrel web site he does not offer spiral fluting of barrels. He offers spiral bolts, and snake and diamond barrels, but not spiral. I suspect he received a similar letter.

Personally, I think it is BS and if I had the choice of using a shaw barrel of doing without the spiral flutes, I'd get a good barrel and do without the flutes.

John

Posts: 557 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tose type barrels might be asthetic to some people,but there is no advantage to them,and i would hate to have to inlet one. VAN

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by van:
Tose type barrels might be asthetic to some people,but there is no advantage to them,and i would hate to have to inlet one. VAN

The inletting would be no different than usual.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I think he means if you inlet for the spiral. PIA if you think about it.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
I think he means if you inlet for the spiral. PIA if you think about it.

Yeah, that would suck. Smiler

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gasgunner:
Just be advised, E.R. Shaw was granted a patent on spiral fluting of rifle barrels.
John

Oh WOW... now let's see.. this is nothing but universal dividing head work along the barrel.. basically long helical gear cutting..

and they got a PATENT for it?

Anyone tell Brown and Sharpe?

now this is, imnsho, a DUMB patent

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gasgunner:
Just be advised, E.R. Shaw was granted a patent on spiral fluting of rifle barrels. They sent me a letter through there attorney advising me that I had to stop advertising and selling spiral fluted barrels or they would take legal action.

John

If one person can prove that they cut a twisted barrel and had it in use/possible for public view/use for one year before Shaw applied for a patent then Shaw's patent will not stand up in court. In other words if anyone can find a pic of one in a gun magazine that predates his patent application by one year then Shaw wasted thousands of dollars on a lawyer.

If he really can prove in court that he is the first to do this then no one can legally make their own.

Patent law reads under 271. Infringement of Patent

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this title, whoever without authority makes, uses or sells any patented invention, within the United States during the term of the patent therefore, infringes the patent.
(b) Whoever actively induces infringement of a patent shall be liable as an infringer.

In other words if Shaw has a watertight patent and you pay some machinist to spiral flute your barrel you could be sued by Shaw. Agian this is asuming that the patent is water tight. I doubt that it is.......... I could be wrong.

Does anyone have the patent #

gunmaker

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1852 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gasgunner, I believe Frank White of Compass Lake did this a few years ago as well as Douglas. Somebody else has been doing it for a while. I will try to find his website as I have been to it before.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to www.kampfeldcustom.com, another shop that is doing it.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why would anyone want to do something like this to an otherwise decent looking rifle?

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be interesting to know when Shaw has applied. I can inform that we has been making spiralfluted barrels since 1998. But on the other hand, that is in Europe, so i dont know how it affects a US patent

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
http://patft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&S...S=AN/shaw+AND+barrel

Now everyone can read it and make their own conclusions so we don't have to go on hearsay evidence.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That certainly clears things up, OH YEA.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch,
Frank got a letter just a few weeks after I did. He now has "temporarily unavailable" on his web site as well.

Shaw claims they have defended it 5 times in court and won each time. I suspect they are just using it to intimidate the small time guys like me and Frank who do not have the money to fight them.

I agree is is BS, but I got better things to do than fight them over someting that we only sell a dozen or so a year of.

John

Posts: 557 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I particularly like this passage in the patent under "Background of the invention"

"Therefore, it is an object of the present invention to provide a strong, lightweight, and accurate gun barrel."

Really??? Since when did E.R. Shaw care about the quality of a gun barrel??? There are still gunsmiths flinching today whenever the name E.R. Shaw and the word accuracy are used in the same article... If the addition of spiral flutes will produce an accurate barrel, one wonders why Shaw didn't think about this years and years and years ago. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Looks like it was filed July 9,1999.

If anyone including Shaw, built one a year or more before and can prove it with pictures, receipts, wittnesses, the patent should not hold up in court. If anyone here is making money at this they should go on a fishing trip around the internet forums, get the pics/proof and send them to Shaw's lawyer.

Again, if Shaw built one before July 1998 and showed it to someone then that would void the patent.

gunmaker

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1852 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
At the 1965 National High Power Championships, Mid Tompkins had a spiral fluted barrel on his "Across-the-Course" bolt rifle. Anyone living in Prescott, AZ should be able to verify that contacting Mid. I saw the rifle and made a remark to him about it so, it isn't here-say.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote