Find
Notify
Tools

New Ruger Trigger
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted
Who makes a good replacement trigger for a Ruger 77? How difficult are they to put in?

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
which ruger?
the original is somewhat more complicated, but all of them are easy to install.

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Not sure....bought the rifle used and it is the first Ruger 77 I have owned. Is there a way to determine which one I have?

We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
what calier and is the safety on the tang or the side of the action

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
It is a LH action in 7x57...custom job. Safety is on the side.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ROSCOE:
Who makes a good replacement trigger for a Ruger 77? How difficult are they to put in?

You might consider having the original trigger reworked. They can be made to perform as good, if not better than the aftermarkets, and, it generally includes full function and safety tests. And for not a whole lot more than you would pay for the aftermarket trigger.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim Cloward of Lake Stevens, WA did a Ruger trigger for me. It was superbly crisp and the job cost about $35 a few years ago.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

one of us
posted Hide Post
Had a LH .270 that had the classic lawyer trigger and one of our local San Antonio 'smiths smoothed it from 7 lbs down to my requested force of 3.5 lbs--and for less than $50 as I remember. However, the trigger job didn't cure the piece of being a "4 here and one somewhere else" grouper, so I sold it.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
If it's a left-handed action then it's a 77MKII as Ruger never made the M77 in left-hand. I also recommend having the trigger tuned instead of replaced. It usually takes only a half-hour or so to get one to be crisp and light. Limiting over-travel takes more work but is also possible by installing a set screw.

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
I put a rifle basic trigger in mine a piece of cake maybe 45min at most and it adjusts to 1.5lbs with no over travel, it worked out to be about same as reworking my trigger which would not be adjustable.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GA DEER HUNTER
posted Hide Post
I installed a Timney trigger on my Ruger with no problem. Cost was about $100 for the trigger.

Posts: 392 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
thanks all...I asked the question because this trigger pull must be 8 pounds or more. I would send it to a smith but hate to spend $$ if I can install a new trigger myself. I may give it a go!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why would you want to spend a 100 bucks on a replacement trigger. When you can have the factory one fixed for 35 bucks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The advantage of installing a Timney is that the result is fully adjustable for weight, creep, sear engagement, overtravel, etc., so you can really fine tune it.

I had my 'smith 'smooth' the original trigger, and while it was OK, it left a lot to be desired. The Timney fixed that.

I'm not a fanatical benchrester, but I do appreciate a really good trigger, and many friends have commented on the great 'feel' of the Timney...

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put Spec teck triggers in mine 4 or 5 of them easy to install they work well.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that old 77 trigger is about the easiest thing in the world to redo. Just smooth the bearing surfaces a bit and change the spring. takes longer to pull it out of the stock and replace it than it does to do the trigger

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
Go to the midway site and use there customer rating system you will get a better handel which trigger to use, some drop in some take some grinding.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lfaler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
that old 77 trigger is about the easiest thing in the world to redo. Just smooth the bearing surfaces a bit and change the spring. takes longer to pull it out of the stock and replace it than it does to do the trigger

Where does one find replacment springs?

Posts: 163 | Location: Missouri by way of Mississippi | Registered: 19 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You don't need to change the spring on a MKII, just change the angle so it doesn't depress the spring as you pull the trigger back. Take the stock off and you'll see what I mean. They are easy to work on.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lfaler
posted Hide Post
Mine is an old tang safety model, not a II

Posts: 163 | Location: Missouri by way of Mississippi | Registered: 19 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jstevens:
You don't need to change the spring on a MKII, just change the angle so it doesn't depress the spring as you pull the trigger back. Take the stock off and you'll see what I mean. They are easy to work on.

Got a link with pictures? I have the same problem as the thread originator on my new MKII. I pulled the action from the stock and it looked like I would be grinding out the pins (peened in place) to disassemble it to do any real work...I put it right back together since I wasn't prepared to do that to my new toy just yet.

What's I miss?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,
I pulled the trigger and took a file to the sear surfaces and got the pull I am looking for. Feels around 3-4 lbs...much better! CDH there are two drift pins that hold the trigger and sear assemply in place. Pop those out and the trigger will fall out. As stated above a very easy project.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The timney trigger for a ruger MK2 is Excelent, I have timney triggers in 2 mausers a springfireld and a mk2 ruger. te ruger is really to good, I had to reinstall the factory spring to get it to where I thought it was safe. ...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ROSCOE:
CDH there are two drift pins that hold the trigger and sear assemply in place. Pop those out and the trigger will fall out. As stated above a very easy project.

They appeared to be peened into place, judging from the flaring on one end. A light rap with a punch didn't budge it, and I didn't try a bigger hammer. Big Grin

So you're telling me that the pins are not pressed/peened in place and should drive out without much trouble?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They shouldn't be peened in place, you should be able to push them out with a punch in the palm of your hand. On mine, don't even need a little hammer. Sometimes they are loose enough that it causes some creep in the trigger and need to be tightened up. Of course someone may have been there before you and peened them to keep them from moving. You never can tell.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CDH

I knew the pix were here somewhere. www.centerfirecentral.com/77trigger.html has instructions and pictures of the trigger assy. on the Ruger MKII.

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll look it over again. I'll be pulling the action soon to install pillars anyways... A light tap with a punch and small hammer didn't budge it, and one side shows the distinct 'X' from a chisel being used to flare the end. Is is a factory new rifle I purchased a couple of months ago.

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
CDH,
The Pins in my rifle were very easy to push out. I used a small punch and it took very little pressure to get them out. One post above recomends changing the angle...I was not sure what surface to change the angle to 45 degrees so all I did was smooth the surfaces with a file. They were very ruff and once I did this my trigger is much better. It is by no means a bench rest trigger, but this will work for a hunting rifle. Good luck.

One of Us
Picture of Laner
posted Hide Post
I just had mine apart last night. Seems to me the pins in my are flared on one end. Flip it over and try to push them through from the other side. Worked for me.

Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics; even if you win, you're still retarded.

Posts: 99 | Location: Hays, Kansas | Registered: 02 August 2005Reply With Quote