New
Find
Notify
Tools

Canadian exchange and gunsmiths
 Login/Join

<Daryl Elder>
posted
Just curious; have you fellows from our south thought about using Canadian(that is they live/work here)gunsmiths? The exchange is very favorable.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Daryl,
I think the main concern here is one of logistics. I have contactedthe BATF and Us customs about getting an FFL in Idaho or Montana then bringing rifles across the border for work. Everybody seemed to think that in general it wouldn't be a problem. There are immediate problems that may arise though. Temporary registration in Canada and taxation questions are a couple that come to mind. If our federal government really cared about promoting Canadian based businesses they might try to address some of these issues with the Americans. In reality though our government would be just as happy if there were no Canadian gunsmiths or gun businesses so I won't hold my breath.
What work I have done for Americans they have brought the rifles across and payed the fee at the border (50.00cdn) and I did the work while they were here. This arrangement is fine for a straight forward rebarreling job or action work or anything else that can be done in a day or two but there are obviously limitations. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3534 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Daryl Elder>
posted
Hey, Bill. Is there a fee for arms if they are shipped into Canada? Are these arms required to be registered if work is being done here? Yes, I agree that "they" would be happier than a pig in sh*t if all of our gunsmiths were put out of business.Thanks for the info.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill this is a somewhat related question. Do you know what hoops I have to jump thru to purchase a rifle in Canada? I have an FFL and have found if the rifle is less than $500 there is no importer license reqmt. when coming from Canada. I was specifically thinking of a BRNO 21, or 2 or 3 or 14. God I love those and when I last checked they are fairly reasonable up there.

By the way, I don't know if the exchange rate was in my favor for snow fall but I just got back from Whistler on Sunday evening. It was incredible up there. A bit picey for things but the skiing was world classand the Canadians were their typical wonderful selves.

Chic

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic,
I think that with your ffl your primary concern would be import requirements on the US side. I can't honestly say what might be required for you to accquire the rifle in Canada. The last time I was involved with a retail operation was 8 years ago and regulations may have changed. I must admit that in the past I frequently operated under the "don't ask, don't tell" code and things worked really well!
I once sold a couple of rifles to a guy from Switzerland and upon learning that Canada at the time require no export permits, simply put them in the mail. Worked good! Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3534 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote