Find
Notify
Tools

'Best' stock wood choice?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The details first:
I'd like to build a light 250 Savage on a Kimber 84M. The metal work details are hazy, but not really that important at the moment. What I would like is some informed opinions on stock wood.

Being a 250 savage, I'd like it fairly light - not Kevlar stock light, but appropriate for the caliber. Stock shape will help that, but wood choice could make a difference. I'd like a nice pretty stock, with figure and color. It seems that Juglans regia is the top choice, but the price may be out of range for the figure I like. Are there other acceptable woods for this caliber/situation that give more figure/per$?

I can't put a dollar figure on the blank, mainly because I've seen $275 blanks I like and $1200 blanks I like. I suppose less than $400-500? I'm partial to the lesser amount of course.

As well, a few walnut dealers names would be helpful (pm your secrets). I live in Canada so the internet will be as close as I can come to seeing the wood. This will be a lengthy project, completed over time, so the wood could dry.

Posts: 109 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
IMHO, generally claro will be lighter than black, than english, than turkish, than bastone...

GENERALLY

Claro will have the best color and figure for the buck.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Call Adam at Luxus Walnut and ask him for a nice light peice in your price range. I'll bet he'll have an excellent stick of Turkish you will like in your price range.
Claro has the most color and figure especially for the money, but it often has larger pores and isn't as stable as Juglan Regia (Turkish,French,English,California English etc. )........................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
You can find something you like for less than $400-$500. Try http://www.presliksgunstocks.com/ and have him email some pics in your price range. I don't think he checks his email everyday so give him a few days.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
dj

I like some a that Oregon walnut.. nice color in it. We'll see how it works soon.

Rich

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
I really like claro walnut for a light weight stock and you can relieve some weight in places after the routing.

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are looking at lightweight, consider Paulownia. It is very light and very strong. I have thought in back of my mind that I would build a lightweight carry rifle with a Paulownia stock{19 oz.} a titanium receiver and so on. I am talking a working rifle not a guild rifle.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You should be able to find a knock out blank in the $400 - $500 range.

I'm a sucker for English walnut, but don't be to concerned with the geographic prefix for J.regia as I prefer to judge each blank on its individual merits. I like bastogne too. I've had positive dealings with Steve Heilmann and the Dressels for most of my wood purchasing.

Lastly, If possibly I'd recommend getting to Reno for the ACGG and SCI conventions at the end of January. There will be a mind boggling array of wood there as well as the opportunity to touch, feel and hand select the blank you want.

Heilmann

Dressel's

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm keen on going to Reno, but don't have time this year. I went to the shotshow & Vegas Gunshow last year, while cool, I'd think Reno would be a mind bender.

The lightness is important, but having the figure and color is probably more important. My thoughts were that wood that is less suitable for a heavy kicker could be used for this round.

It will be hunted for sure. You just have to be more careful - stumbling over a root or cliff whilst gazing fondly upon your rifle is very foolish.

It seems that I will just keep my eyes open for something that looks right, and worry less about the type of wood.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not think you will find much difference in the weight of the stock no matter what variety you use. I have had more headaches and wood problems with Claro than any other and avoid it whenever possible. I have had some good blanks in it but far more that I was dissatisfied with.

Check with Dressels and ask for a light weight english blank. Sharon will find you one.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I'd have to second Chic's sentiments.

Claro does tend to have more figure for the price but, it also tends to run soft. This is of course a genrelality but like Chic about 15% of the claro balnks I've come acrross have been acceptible (by my standards). I've seen some that was as hard as any English I've used (once). Also saw some that was heavier than any other blank except mesquite but it was still soft.

I asked Sharon for a light piece of Turkish for a Mannlicher project of mine. She delivered a nice hard piece that weighed about as much as most standard length blanks. A real deal. Hard to beat the level of attention you receive.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'd rather have a dense hard stock blank than a light one, no matter the weight requirement. Make a trimmer stock, or remove some wood from the butt and under the barrel. Go with quality wood, "light" blanks can be problem blanks. The overall weight of the rifle is unlikely to vary by more than a very few ounces.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The weight of the blank isn't really that big an issue. The action is light, the barrel will be slim and short(ish), and the stock shape will be slim and trim. The rifle will end up light enough.

I only mentioned the weight factor because of the caliber and style in mind - and the fact more options might be available due to limited recoil.

I would much prefer a sweet English/Turkish/etc blank. I will shop around and take my time. I do like the idea of shopping from a trusted source - due to my limited knowledge in grain and layout requirements.

Thanks again for the info.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to try also, Great American Gunstock Co. They specialize in walnuts. #530-671-4570. VAN

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Check with Dressels and ask for a light weight english blank. Sharon will find you one.

I looked at every species under the sun when looking for my blank. Chic helped a lot, but in the end the Regia [English] was my pick and I was not an English liker in the beginning. I choose wood from NZ Walnut [Brian Kerr] in New Zealand because they had a piece I loved and it was cheap. The wood is dense and fine grained and an cuts nice. A lot of the other woods will not make a durable long term stock. I deal with a lot of exotics and cannot recommend anything but walnut and maple, but I still have hopes for the perfect cherry!

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote