Find
Notify
Tools

Is this stock repairable? (large pics)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted
This was the first gun I ever owned. It was from my Dad, complete with the 'you are a big boy now' talk when I was about 13, so it has huge sentimental value. I probably have put 1000 rounds through it, with no appreciable increase in the crack, but it has been a safe queen for 10+ years now.

Out of nostalgia I want to use it this fall. I have never tried to improve the repair job done by a previous owner. What are my options? Repair? Replace the stock? With what...??? Put it on the wall and don't touch it again? Where could I get a stock to fit it? The numbers on the wood match the metal...everything has serial numbers stamped on it. The pitting is not too deep, and the bore it truely like glass! It patterns well and comes to the shoulder very well.

Finally, I have never had a reliable ID of the exact model. I think it is a Stevens 'Springfield' which became the Stevens 311. The smooth pistol grip would make it a pre WWI version, if the book I read can be trusted.

Suggestions welcomed, and as always, thanks in advance!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by bobc:

quote:
Originally posted by bobc:
I've used a gunsmith in Waco Tx who refinished an old brit 12 bore shotgun for me who does amazing work repairing broken stocks. He does much of the stock work for Briley, does stuff for Turnbull. If you're interested, email me and I'll get Dave's # for you. Bob

Note: I've seen this recommendation but have not used him.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Aint bad hurt, to tell you the truth. Any decent smith can "fix" that..

i would seriously thinkabout talking with boyds, as their catalog lists several stevens models and how to ID them.

http://www.boydsboys.com
or
http://www.boydboys.com

and dirt cheap

Give your old friend some new legs

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just get it fixed.

A bit of AcraGlas, with proper prepping, and maybe a spot refinish: better than new.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool

CHD,

Good shotgun and the stock can be easily repaired with almost/virtually no noticeable after effects by a compentent gunsmith.

IMO get it done so you can use and enjoy your heirloom piece. The crack looks like it has been caused by the trigger guard tang not being fit correctly initially so as it is being fixed may require a tweak here & there to make it right anyway.

Boyd's is the right address for a replacement stock if you would like (very economical) and especially for I.D'ing that Stevens.

Have fun with it!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave Wolf is at 254-848-4199. He's excellent, but not cheap. He mostly works on high end guns and does a fabulous job. He also doesn't do 'half way' jobs.

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Was the wood patch on the side of the safety done already when your dad gave it to you? If so, it's part of the guns history and I would leave it, probably just glass in the tang area so it doesn't get worse.

If it was done after you got the gun, then it's a different story, many companies can make you an inexpensive replacement but I'd stay away from Great American Gunstock.

The names mentioned here to repair the stock are good craftsmen, I'm sure, and I realize the gun has inestimable sentimental value, but having a guy that works on high end guns repair it will cost way more than the guns current market value.

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! The patch of wood was before my time. I was chiefly interested in this not getting worse, and had thoughts ranging from a crossbolt right behind the tang to rawhide wraps! Then I thought about doing it right...sooooo

What's the 'usual' method? Should I try and drill a few hidden holes down the crack from the inside the tang slot to fill it with epoxy? Add a crossbolt to hold it together? Fitting a new patch I can handle, getting it to stick and be solid is trickier I know.

It sure would be nice to have somewhat matching wood, history or not. I could always add my own flair to the history. I'm not a bad woodworker, but home repair/carpentry/furniture refinishing is a bit different from stockwork I understand!

Jeffe, could your duplicator churn out a short stock like this?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Everybody has their pet tricks. If it were me, I would drill down inside as you mentioned. Try to bisect the crack with the bit and don't break out to the outside (you ant a blind hole). Probably have to use an electricians bit. Use a 1/4" bit then butter up a length of hardwood dowel with epoxy and drive into place. Cut a couple of shallow grooves up the side of the dowel to let air out. Try to work some epoxy into the crack itself, then let it harden while setting on its butt. Use a coping saw and round rasp to clean up, fill the crack on the outside with epoxy and you should be good.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it doesn't have a matching crack at the rear of the receiver, it's not too serious. Get some thinned epoxy into the crack and wrap the stock tightly with surgical tubing to compress and close the crack. After it cures, relieve the triggerguard inletting a few thousandths and put it back together.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote