Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

action castings? heard of them?
 Login/Join

posted
Hey I saw a advertisement the other day for a company out of Trinadad, Colorado. I was called Action Castings. Has anyone had any dealings with these fellows? They were selling Farquharson single shot action kits. Any stories of the quality of service or products would be appreciated.

Posts: 10 | Location: Fort Mcmurray Alberta | Registered: 24 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quick google...
follow a couple links

http://www.actioncastings.us/My_Homepage_Files/Page1.html

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
If you do a search in this and the single shot forum there should be many posts on this subject. The two people involved are the retired benchmetal instructor that used to teach a class on building this from scratch and a student I was in school with there. The instructor started gunmaking at 14yrs old working for H&H. I think they are offering summer NRA classes on putting one of these casting kits together.
gunmaker

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of these but haven't done anything with it yet. My main concern is having the parts enough oversize so that they can be cleaned up properly and it appears that they are. It's not a project for the inexperienced as their is a lot of work to be done. They come with large sprues left on the castings that are supposed to be left to aid in workholding during maching. The first you'll want to do is remove them, but don't. The instructions clearly state this. The kit comes with the nine major parts (I think it's nine) you have to build the rest which includes all of the springs and screws and a few small parts. It comes in 8620, 4140 and stainless, (416 I think).

I also bought the instructions/drawings for building one from scratch, and honestly if you have a well equipped machine shop this may be the better way to go. Wouldn't want to discourage anyone from buying one just trying to let you know what your getting into. Hopefully before my hair turns gray I'll have it finished. They are very nice and straightforward people to deal with.

Shane Thompson

Posts: 125 | Location: Soda Springs, ID 83276 | Registered: 25 August 2005Reply With Quote