New
Find
Notify
Tools

Timney installation
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have a M70 Classic with a terrible gritty trigger. Been to the smith twice and he couldn't clean it up without slamfire problems. I just want the usual clean break at 3#, no take up. I like the Timney prices but can a guy with limited gunsmithing experience install one himself? Having it done would likely take it out of my price range. Thanks for the input.

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With reasonable mechanical ability and carefull work it is quite straight forward to do yourself. I have done this swap with no problems and minimal experience. Just follow the instructions and ask some of the Guys on the board if you have any questions. Should be no problem

------------------
Growler

Posts: 95 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 23 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Growler,
With the shop rate of the local smiths I'm not far behind just doing the job myself. I think I'll pick up the Timney. Let you know how she goes.

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You may want to have Timney do it for you. I think they charge $35 and it's worth it if you're inexperienced. I didn't check my classic but some M70's have the round sear hole through the action. If that's the case that hole will have to be elongated. Also the bolt stop retaining pin needs to be cut down or the hole can be taped with a 2 sided 6-48 tapered tap. Timney supplies the screw to replace the pin. One last thing, you may also get into safety adjustment problems that can be delicate. I'm not discouraging you but be aware it's not always a simple job. The Timney people are great if you need technical advise but you have to understand what they're talking about. Good luck.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snowcat, I think you will be suprised. It's not that hard. Hope it turns out well. Let me know how it turns out.

------------------
Growler

Posts: 95 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 23 March 2001Reply With Quote