Find
Notify
Tools

Experience with Warne Premier Rings?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I am thinking of using these on a 7X64 that has a wierd integral mount. I figured out that I have just enough metal to re-machine the receiver bridges to work with the Warnes (but not the Talley's). I spoke with Dave at Warne on the phone, and he was extremely helpful and pleasant to deal with. My question is what is the quality of their product?

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<yorick>
posted
While the Warne people were very nice about it, and replaced the product at no charge, I have had 2 sets of QD Sako rings break on my 338 Lapua.

The QD rings were very nicely made, seemed solid at time of installation, and fit well, but they just couldn't stand up to the recoil of the 8lb rifle with a 30mm scope....maybe its an unfair to expect any QD ring to hold up to that though....

Nice folks though........

posted Hide Post
My Warne rings would not stand upto the recoil of my .308 Sako...suspect that it was a combination of heavy scope and the sako rails acting like a wedge on the bases.

I did get a full refund; nice people at Warne though......

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I've been using Warne premier rings and bases on everything up to and including my 585 Nyati. No problems ever. The trick is to lap the rings and reduce any strain on the scope. Mounted properly they are perfectly adequate.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only rings I use. I've had nothing but good luck with them. Fit and finish are excellent. Good and solid product.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I use them on everything including my new 585 NYATI. You need to lap them properly.Done right I've not had a problem yet.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
Top notch. IMO you won't find a better ring anywhere. Price is not too bad either. I have well over a dozen sets and have been completely satisfied with all their rings, permanent, QD, Premier, and Maxima. Great customer service too if you should ever need it.

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I won't use them anymore they almost got me et by a Buffalo...

The recoil bounced the levers around until they blocked the bolt uplift on my Mauser...I taped them in place for the remainder of the hunt and sold them all when I got home...I'm an unforgiving soul when something like that happens...I now have all Talleys...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41838 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
loud-n-boomer--

I like Warnes. But before you cut up a unique old rifle why not investigate making a set of rings for it. If it was done once there's no reason not to do it again.

No ring is strong enough for a wedging system like the Sako. Those dovetails were designed completely wrong for strength and accuracy.

Hey Ray!! I TOLD you the levers go on the left side!!

posted Hide Post
Jack,

"No ring is strong enough for a wedging system like the Sako. Those dovetails were designed completely wrong for strength and accuracy."

The Sako wedge shaped rail is a very good system providing the correct style bases are used. I too disliked the early Sako bases, but the new ones (where the rings have a plastic insert) are truely excelllent. Basically you have a wedge sliding in a wedge such that screws end up taking very little strain...The only down side is the cost for the Sako's. I can't comment on mounts made by other aftermarket companies for the Sako system as I have only tried the Warnes and one other who's name escapes me right now....

Regards,

Peter

[This message has been edited by Pete E (edited 04-04-2002).]

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
I am in the process of changing all my rings to Talley's,now that he makes the bases for Sako's.
geejay
www.shooting-hunting .com