Find
Notify
Tools

Questions on .416 Rigby on std. Mauser action
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted
I was out in the shop yesterday and spotted some .378 WTBY brass in a box and decided to chuck a couple of them in the lathe and turn the belts off to make up some dummy rounds to play with. For simplicity, I left them .375 but the idea is to use them to see what needs to be done to open a standard Mauser to work as a 416 Rigby. I have a Mark X that I had already opened fore and aft for a Lott and, outside of opening the front of the rails a bit for release, it looks fairly straightforward. If you use the Mark X T/G, it looks like either you need to convert it to inline feed with only a two round capacity, or go to custom bottom metal. I remember seeing articles on a famous PH's original Rigby(his name escapes me) That was on a standard, but I never saw any mention of how the bottom metal was reworked. I was looking on Cabelas and they have a .378 WTBY on a Mark X but no mention of capacity and I am curious if anyone can tell me what is usually done. Thanks, Lee.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2271 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The famous PH was Harry Manners or Selby??? His rifle was built by Rigby and as I recall, he bought it in Africa. Rigby obviously would be a place to inquire. especially since they are primarily based in Paso Robles, CA. Actually, although most people will advise against this, I would check with PreciseMetalsmithing, D'Arcy Echols, Ted Blackburn, or Tom Burgess if you are bound & determined to do it.

Posts: 33 | Location: SW Oklahoma | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I can't tell you specifically how it is done, other than opening at the front & rear, but I did see a Mark X in 416Rigby at a Houston gun show a couple years ago and I've seen pics of Harry Selby's Rigby, so it can be done on a standard length.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Opening the action at the front and rear is pretty much standard, the Rigby is only slightly longer than the 375 H&H. I can handle that. I also saw the MK X that you saw at the Houston show, but the seller was tied up with a customer and I was in a hurry, I wish I could have gotten a closer look at the bottom metal. Dropping the dummies into a MK X box, there is almost no stagger, so it looks like to use it, you would have to fabricate some feed lips to the stock box and make it a single stack. Thats why I was curious about how they did it pre-war and if it was custom metal with a wider box. I was guessing that if they built it on a standard Mauser, they might have adapted the standard mag too. I figured with all the experience on this board, someone had done it!

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Let me invite you to come shoot my 416ar or my 550 express (which is a belt "rigby" in the form of a weatherby case, shortened)... then you can understand what a super long single stock would look like, and what you would have to do to build a stock.

the 416 AR matches the rigby factory loads, easily.

feeding will be as NIGHTMARE in a stagger mag...

seriously, a nightmare.

that it is only "slightly" longer is like being slightly pregnant.. the 375HH length (3.65) is .300 LONGER than a 30-06 ...

that it seems doable is actually a voice of a wood worker, not a metal worker... .400 (the additional rigby length) and .585 diameter rounds (bv .532) means the box and rails HAVE to be .100 wider than an HH based round.

if I could be talked into it (NO BILLY), it would have to be single stack... as you mention..

and, without a major stock rework, would hold TWO down...

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IIRC (and my memory isn't what it used to be) there was a article about making the Rigby work in a standard magazine. Anyway I seem to remember that to get it the proper geometery it required using the stock wood itself for the sidewall of the magazine.
I don't remember if it was a 98 or a MK-X action that was used, but if you tape a 5-pack of brass together in a staggered (3-2) configuration you will get a real good idea of how wide the box needs to be.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
I thought I had more pics of Selby's 416. This is the only one I can find at the moment;

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could use a .416 Remington.

Posts: 431 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I already have a .416 Rem, I am interested in doing a Rigby myself just because I would like to do it. I was inspired by Selby's rifle and just like the idea of one on a standard size action. I was, however, looking at my Lott on a pre-64 M-70 and it looks like it would be a bit easier! Bottom metal seems to be the bugaboo right now, I will call Blackburn Machine and see what they say. Jeff, thanks for the invite, I am always up for shooting big bores! Lee.

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.