New
Find
Notify
Tools

brownells oxpho-blue
 Login/Join

<OTTO>
posted
Any body try brownells oxpho-blue paste? Suggestions for best results are welcome.

------------------
From my cold, dead hands!
Thanks Chuck!

<Don G>
posted
I use the liquid. Clean steel with alcohol then soap and hot water. I mop on with a linen patch, then wipe over and over with steel wool. Multiple coats get it darker, and it seems to work best with matte (bead blast is best) finished steel. If you are after smooth and shiny use a different product, as this will look mottled.

Smooth or matte this is the best rust protection you can get IMHO.

Don

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
In my humble opinion, the very most bestest way of applying cold bluing is with a toothbrush and scrub the heck out of it.

(oh that just reminded me of a joke- How do you make Holy Water? You boil the hell out of it...)

But the toothbrush gives the most even coverage, I pour the blue into a small container and dip the brush into it. Plus it gets into all the little corners. You still have to steel wool everything and use multiple coats, but it works far better than rags or paper towels.

And like Don said, you can't get the metal too clean before you start.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
<Paladin>
posted
I've used both their gel and their liquid. The gel sucks, but the liquid really works very well and I like it a lot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I find if you warm up the barrell a little it really helps a lot. Smokey

Posts: 160 | Location: Whitehorse Yukon Canada | Registered: 20 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Smokey:
I find if you warm up the barrell a little it really helps a lot. Smokey

After thoroughly degreasing I put barrel, receiver etc in oven to heat to about 200 degrees. Apply liquid with clean cotton balls in a circular motion. Finish with 0000 steel wool and liquid applied in a circular motion. I then put piece in a damp shower while it rusts.

Repeat until you get a beautful finish.

A pain in the ass but sometimes a good alternative.

Don't forget to protect the bore!

Wally

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
<OTTO>
posted
Thanks for the advice. Here is what I did. I cleaned the barrel with starting fluid. What a great degreaser and it dries very fast. Stinks some so I did it in the yard. Applied bluing paste with a tooth brush wiped off with a cotton rag and let dry. The paste clings to the steel so it's easy to apply and move around. It did come out somewhat mottled but that cleaned up with some scrubbing using 000 steel wool. it took 6 coats until I got the look I wanted. It worked great for me.

------------------
From my cold, dead hands!
Thanks Chuck!