Find
Notify
Tools

Re: The rarest Mauser 98 system??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted
The .280 Halger produced high pressures and could not pass proof in a standard length action so as far as I know all of them were built on magnum length actions. I own one numbered 120, and have been told that Halger started numbering from 100, but I do not know how many were made.
I would think that the .505 double-square bridge with a solid left wall would be as rare as any, but .505 was a popular option for a dangerous game rifle for someone not wanting to pay the price of a double.

Posts: 3307 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Alf,

I just want to say that I have been reading your posts for quite awhile and you never cease to amaze me. The wealth of Mauser knowledge you bring to the table is incredible. Truly sir, I want to be you someday, if I ever grow up!

Thanks for lending us your brain.

Tex

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alf,

what is the charge again to take a look at your collection? is the blindfolded trip from the airport to your house still part of the deal?

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Kurz Mauser for sale on GunsAmerica:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976539813.htm

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
ALF,

What is the type designation on the rifle you have shown us?
I also have a mauser actioned rifle with the slanted magazine, but always thought it wasn't really a '98. All of my other '98 actioned rifles have their magazines directly below the bolt opening in the action - straight down. The one with the slanted magazine is chambered in 45-70, so maybe the slant does help with keeping rimmed cartridges from overlapping at the rear.
Also, I know that Mauser did not assemble Halger rifles, but I assume sold the actions to them for them to barrel and stock. Was this the arrangement with other makers such as Rigby, Gibbs, Westley Richards etc. or did Mauser build rifles for them as complete units? The reason I ask is that I once owned a Cogswell & Harrison chambered in 10.75X68 and it looked just like a type B commercial Mauser (all of the metal anyway) but the stock was in the English fashion.
Anyone interested in my Halger?

Thank You All,

HUVIUS

Posts: 3307 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your slant mag 45-70 is probably a Siamese Mauser that has been rebarreled. The conversion of the Siam 98 to 45-70 is relatively common .

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

It might be a Slanted Box Magazine Short Intermediate for the Rimmed 303 British Round. See if you can get a copy of Jon Speed Oberndorf Sporting Rifles book. A wealth of knowledge but I like Alf's better. His photos of Brno and Mausere sporters make grown men drool.

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Post deleted by 2mp

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Post deleted by 2mp

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
PM sent.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Post deleted by 2mp

<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

I have a new vote, one of my friends votes for

280 Halger Magnum in the Mauser Magnum System

Burkhard

Isn't the .280 Halger merely an overloaded .280 Ross cartridge? I do know the .240 Halger is just an overloaded version of the 6X57mm Mauser (6mm Remington.....) ALL of Halbe and Gerlich's "inventions" were loaded to pressures over what we'd consider safe maximiums today... I remember Phil Sharpe descibed them pretty thoroughly in a Gun Digest back in the 50's....

<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

The rarest of all Mausers is the Model 1933 Sporting Mauser

The rifle unfortunately never went into production and one exists as per Jon Speed.

it is an extension to the very rare ( rarest military model 1929 rifle)

THE RIFLES OF HALBE AND GERLICH (HALGER) ARE NOT TRUE MAUSERS !
They are proprietary rifles built on Mauser actions by halbe and Gerlich of Kiel. aka Halger rifles with their own proprietary cartirdges.

Now as far as the more standard Genuine mausers rifles go: the intermediate actioned rifles were built for Rigby thus wear rigby and British markings. However Mauser held a small ( ? <100 rifles )limited number out complete with mauser markings etc.

Here is one from my collection:

ALF, what is the full name of that magazine you posted that has that article in it? Looks very interesting!

<eldeguello>
posted
Looks to me like they cut a dovetail in the top of the receiver ring on that 300 Savage Kurtz for sale on GunsAmerica.... If so, it is ruined!

<eldeguello>
posted
Wow! A Sprigfield action on a rifle built by Mauser. That is really interesting. I doubt many people even realize such things exist!

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Michael

Is this the same origin of the rifle you have pictured?

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=27088849

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is turning into a mess and I apologize from bringing this subject up.

For the record, I am not the person selling the Whelen drawing, so please do not get us confused.

2MP Michael Petrov /Alaska

mjpetrov@acsalaska.net

one of us
posted Hide Post
Idared, Thanks for your kind words, I have been trying to preserve the history of the custom gunmakers and need to get out of this discussion. IT WAS NOTHING YOU SAID! Sometimes the net is a good place to exchange information other times not. The Whelen info and the Mauser 1903 info have both been published and if you want copies write me.

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

On 21 December 1926 a 280 Halger was shot at the Berlin Hallensee proofing grounds shooting a 5 shot group of 3/8 inch spread at 109.4 yards with a muzzle velocity of 3825 fps.

Question how accurate where chronographs back then? My understanding is they weren�t� very and many velocity claims where nothing more then �educated� guesses and totally unreliable.

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don�t you think it�s not only possible but also proabable that Mauser had rifles and actions from many makers for testing, examination, and experimentation? I wonder if some of these examples couldn�t have fallen into the hands of people and they where �thought� to be commercially produced? It certainly stands to reason that the Mauser people were tinkers and who knows what they would have put together in their PLAY time!! Would not Mauser have experimented with the time and cost associated with producing a Springfield action? I can certainly see the military wanting such information. How long, how much how difficult to produce?

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not surprised that Whelen may have talked Oberndorf into making an 06 on a 1903 (American made) action, Germans were broke after WWI and were interested in sales in the US. Before WWII Newton was having stuff made in Germany. For my part I nominate as a standard not one-off Mauser rarity the slant magazine action for the rimmed .350 No. 2 Rigby, I owned a Rigby double for this cartridge and for 35 years looked for a bolt action. Only located one and it was shot out. Emphatically NOT for the .350 Rigby Magnum of near identical ballistics which was rimless.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2mp,
Please do not apologize for bringing this subject up, I am very much interested in the history of the Mauser and Springfield rifles. Any info you can share is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Craig

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope Jon Speed has learned that Griffin in Griffin & Howe is not spelled Griffen.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Craigster, What I am trying to keep from happing is to be confused with the person selling the Whelen drawings and a 1903 marked Mauser.

If I can answer any question drop me a line at
mjpetrov@acsalaska.net

one of us
posted Hide Post
ther are some sporters made up on very early small rings mostly in 8x57 or 7x57 these in nice original condition are nice but arent easy to find ,i do own a rigby 303. biult with the slantbox it is original and unmolested at all and no pitting whatsoever built about 1913 this gun built by mauser would be rarer another model would be the "african" model by mauser i think it had a 28" barrel stocked almost to the muzzle also a 9.3x62 by mauser with the semi drop box single trigger ,26" barrel type A would be pretty rare too. these guns can be found but it is not easy it is not so bad when you find one that has had the bolt altered ,its when they cut the stock to fit it that makes you sick ............paul

Posts: 78 | Location: massachusetts,USA | Registered: 19 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And this is exactly why I frequent this forum only. The amount of knowledge, good and bad, that is available here is simply amazing. Thanks.

... For he today, that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

Posts: 614 | Location: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: 02 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Alf

Great info Smiler Thanks

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote