THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    AVOID "Bud's Gun Shop" On Gunbroker! BAD DEALER!!

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AVOID "Bud's Gun Shop" On Gunbroker! BAD DEALER!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
AVOID "Bud's Gun Shop" On Gunbroker! BAD DEALER!

------------------------

The following comes from a member of BSB -

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wanted to let everyone know the results I had from spending $1400.00 on a Weatherby 340 Accumark with "Buds Gun Shop".

The gun was advertised by them as coming with an Accubrake. I confirmed this with them by phone. The gun arrived without a brake and their response was "send it back, but we'll charge a 20% restocking fee". That's almost $300.00 - the brake costs only $150.00 factory installed.

They admit their add was wrong. Their excuse? Their ads are not always accurate because they post alot of them, I should have known that. Check out 41432244 and remember - they admit what you see (and read) isn't what you get.

I asked them to reduce the cost by the amount of the factory installed brake - and I'd even pay the shipping to Weatherby to have it done - and they said no. They offered to drop the 20%, but I'd still be out transfer & other costs - about $75.00.

All I wanted was what they advertised and what I paid for - what could be simpler?

Finally, they wrote an e-mail threatening to change their positive feedback on me to negative if I posted complaint. Safe to say no more "Buds Gun Shop" for me - ever.

------------------------------------------------------

below is a link to the discussion in question:

http://www.baitshopboyz.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9720&PN=1&TPN=1

-------------

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
you've learned your lesson - the hard way... send them the gun back and take the $75 pop as evidence of learning such a lesson.

sorry, but thanks for letting the rest of us know!

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
FWIW the big auction/sale houses are far more worried about the good will of the sellers than the buyers. That's who makes the money for them. And it's hard to blame them; for every legit complaint there a probably a dozen more related to "buyer's remorse" (remember, bunches of folks shop dead-drunk on the internet and commit to things they can't afford or don't want when sober). They are a for-profit business.

A lot of folks have found out the hard way that if you leave bad feedback for high volume sellers, the buyer gets banned.

The only protection you have is similar to buying from an individual. Pay with a US Postal money order and wherever possible get them to ship USPS. AT least then you have a resource on your side that they will fear. And in the not-so-unusual situation where the buyer is really in the wrong, the Postal Inspectors won't harass a legit seller. Not saying this is one of those at all. It sounds like Bud needs a 340 Wby enema.

I won't buy a gun from ANYONE who won't take a postal money order and I never use a credit card unless I have a prior relationship with the seller or it's a national house like Cabela's.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
tas

get in touch with your states attorny general. that is fraud to the max.

i've heard about these buttheads from other sources but can't place my finger on them.

good luck bub.

PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS, HANDICAPPED TYPIST.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

IT'S OK......I'VE STARTED UP MY MEDS AGAIN. THEY SHOULD TAKE EFFECT IN ABOUT A WEEK. (STACI-2006)

HAPPY TRAILS

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

BILL

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
new_guy - i'm not the one who bought it, it was one of the members at my website. you're right though...lesson learned!

tigger - i agree!

stinger - thanks for the advice, i will pass it on!

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I know whereof I speak. I posted a moderatly unpleasent (by my flaming asshole standards, anyway) comment about a retailer with about 2500 feedbacks, about 11% negative. That's a lot of negatives for an internet house.

Ever since I can't open thumbnails or navigate the site beyond the main pages and the house won't return any emails about it.

GunsAmerica, FWIW. Lesson learned.

Last effort, I thanked them for the improvement in my bank statement.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What can you lose by contesting the charge with your credit card company? It seems to me that your situation cannot worse.
...just my 2 cents.........

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Credit card companies will support you about the item you purchased but not when you get into the more esoteric things about shipping, etc. Also, they often need a written warranty and written terms of sale before they will move into action. A lot of the savier internet sellers know they have more loopholes in that regard.

Hence my comment about the national houses. They operate in so many states and are so large that they have volumes of terms of sale that conform to every state's laws in the union. It's not worth their time or effort to fight one problem like this and they cooperate with the buyer unless they smell obvious fraud.

The PO cuts no one slack. They work off of simpler issues because they can't be sued by the seller.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
if the item is not materially the same as offered (including options) prior to sale (removing shipping issues) and the guy won't make it right, it is then mail fraud.

i would have sent it back for the xfer charge, and BLASTED the guy on feedback

total bull$hit

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a similar problem with a seller last fall. The gun sold was a parts gun, not the presentation piece it was passed off as. The tip off was the machine marks left on the bolt face. Winchester would have never left those there.
Next, the year of manufacture stampped on the barrel was newer than the serial number on the action.
Last, was the calibre. It couldn't have been presented at that time in that calibre as the 338 wasn't available for two more years. Shame on me for making that novice mistake.
Nuff' said, I sent it back as per instructions, but suprise suprise no refund. A phnoe call or three resolved nothing and the store manager gave me attitude, so my next communication was with the State Attorney General and the B.A.T.F. My refund arrived one week later!

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I've generally had nothing but excellent luck doing gun business online. I've NEVER had a problem dealing thru classifieds on sites like AR. I've only purchased one firearm via aa site like gunbroker and it went well. I've had poor work done twice by two Smiths via interent contact but both made it right. It really ticks me off when a place like "Buds" pulls this crap. It's my feeling we should police "our own". I'll certainly email this guy and let him know my thoughts. These people think they have a degree of security not having to face down a customer in person and fail to realize the internet works both ways. It can be a great tool to expand ones business and it can also be a great way to keep track of these people via sites like this one and the others.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dont know If this thread is refering Guns America related crap.
But GA is a weird site. I have never once got a reply from any seller on that site on imfo on a gun I was interested in. And the site comfermation email that your question was sent is pretty weird too. Like they cater to crooks or something, or allow known crooks to advertize anyway.

How do they expect to sell a gun if they wont even frikin answer a question?

Ran a seller search,,There is no seller "bud's gun shop" on gunbroker

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?item=41432244

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I looked at the budsgunshop.com website and found this a little strange (they are located in KY):

"For Kentucky customers: To pick up or look at an item from the retail store, please allow 4 days to prepare the item. Add $25 to the internet price if you want to pick up a gun in our retail store. Out of state customers may pick up handguns or non-guns for the amount specified during website-checkout."

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was sold bell ultra high speed internet over the phone by a bell salesperson 2 years ago and recently had spoke to a bell technician on the phone who told me that it is technically impossible to have that in my area.They own me around 1500$ and don't want to pay me.I was sold a service over the phone by them that they never provided.Three of their technicians so far have confirmed this.I had one of their representatives tell me that I was going to get refunded in a week six months ago, and three others who stall or don't get back,or say that I am crazy and in the end never get back.I don't think Bud's Gun Shop will remain in business very long doing things like that.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have sold some expensive rifles on Gunsamerica.com. Values up to $3,000. I also have bought and sold on Gunbrokers. Also bought and sold on the AR forum. Knock on wood every dealing I had was professional and ethical. But there can be bad apples anywhere.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive bought several from gunbroker or auction arms and have had good luck except one guy. Lied about the condition.Got most my money back but he riped me of some of my money.

Ask alot of questions before you bid. If he is wishy washy or acts ignorant or wont give a landline phone number, or just takes too long to email back . Dont bid.
Communication is the key. If its flakey communication pass. Dont send a flake your money.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
I looked at the budsgunshop.com website and found this a little strange (they are located in KY):

"For Kentucky customers: To pick up or look at an item from the retail store, please allow 4 days to prepare the item. Add $25 to the internet price if you want to pick up a gun in our retail store. Out of state customers may pick up handguns or non-guns for the amount specified during website-checkout."

Sounds like they charge the locals for background checks. Maybe there's more paperwork in KY? There are places like CDNN that won't even let you in the building unless you have a signed FFL. Then I think it still takes advance notification.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use two ways to winnow down the huge number of possibilities.

I ask for a new picture of some specific part. If they won't/can't provide it, then I move on. I like to see the barrel set in the barrel channel anyway, and that's not a typical picture folks have prepared. If it has sights, I get a close-up of that, too. At least I know the seller actually has the piece in his possession.

I also ask very specific questions: "I wonder if you could address the specifics: Worn bluing, mars, nicks, wood dings, condition of bore, flattened checkering, wood to metal fit, and whether the barrel is in the center of the barrel channel."

Most often, the seller responds with something like, "It's in great condition," and stops there. If he isn't even interested in answering my questions, I just move on, and don't even reply. I used to give them a second chance, until a woman in Colorado called me an "a$$hole," and that she'd already answered all my questions. Still studying to be a lady, I guess... Lots of classes left to go...

My needs are broad, and with hundreds of pieces to choose from, I can move on with no real pain. For those who are looking for one specific item that's rare and hard to find, you might need to put up with more guff from sellers.

I agree with a comment above about non-responsive sellers, though. About half of the pieces I ask about don't draw a reply to my email question. I suspect these pieces are left up on the sites the way merchants park their delivery van in the front parking lots of shopping centers. They serve as billboards so folks will remember them. My favorite is a rifle on Gunbroker with "three days remaining," but which information was "last updated in 2003."

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't buy any gun upon which I cannot lay my hands prior the purchase. Period.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I must be living on borrowed time. I've bought guns mainly on GunBroker, but also on AuctionArms and via GunsAmerica. Only GunsAmerica has given me nervous feelings in my gut over transactions, but all have turned out okay. I think there is a lot to be said for prior communications, knowing your merchandise, and knowing when to back off from a deal. When the offering sounds too good to pass up, I'd pass, cause it probably is a rip off. Recently I've seen several instances of rip offs with people trying to sell sporterized rifles as genuine commercial items, so yes, caveat emptor is alive and well online!!
LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
The ad said it had a muzzle break, further inquire confirmed it had the muzzle break, purchaser made the deal. Not sure what further communications or knowing of the merchandise there was to do. He should however had inspected the package and not taken possession of it untill he was sure it was correct. Still on the dealer IMO.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Yes and no. They still have your money and unless you have an iron clad contract clause, they can withold part for shipping and handling on the return.

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Didnt know they were here in Kentucky. Guess if I get over towards Paris I will know to avoid them.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
actually, jarrod - if you do get over tehre, tell them that the entire internet knows how they do business, and isn't impressed! shame

one of us
posted Hide Post
I talked to them about a BAR 25-06. They told me they don't stock many of the items they sell, and order them after the customer buys online. They are overpriced on most items, pushy in person, and overall not very nice. Don't go there.

Jimno

Liberals make me puke.

Posts: 209 | Location: Heart of the Bluegrass, KY | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I sent them A Email if you would like A copy of what they sent back email me skwilliams@mymtnhome.com The responce they sent does not match your story. I cant stand it when someone tryes to rip off A fellow shooter!!!!!!!! you should get what you paid for or they should adj the price accordligly
any how I'm new to the board but am A vet to many other hunting and BR sights . Good luck

posted Hide Post
Did you get everythig sorted out with Buds Gun shop???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just ordered a new model Winchester from them and they told me it was in stock. I will post the results when or if the rifle ever comes to me

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote