New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pilkingtons stain
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is Pilkingtons english red a Alcohol base stain?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes as far as I'm aware of does it say Spirit stain ?.Which is a Aniline Powder Stain (Dye Type) If so it is . They are solvent soluble stains Lacquer ,Alcohol , and several other solvents .

Go here and see what some professional wood finishers use . I like their stuff as it's TOP quality and complete systems for doing WHAT EVER wood type finishing one has in mind .Except floor finishes then I use Bona Kemi products .

www.mohawk-finishing.com/catalog_browse.asp?ictNbr=23

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried this stain ONCE...soon as I applied "Ship n' Shore Sealer" it all washed away

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Which one Duane, the Pilkingtons or Mohawk?

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes they are alcohol based, but xylyl alcohol. not the methyl, ethy, and isopropyl we are used to seeing.

<xs headspace>
posted
Seems like I remember trying to dilute the Pilkington's Pre 64 red, and finding out I had to use Xylene to cut it. Works nicely on bare wood, but touching up over a finish will get somewhat dissolved by the next coat of finish. Depends on what the solvent is in the finish.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bottle says "classic spirit stain" and in handwriting "English Red" and is marketed by the Pilkinton Gun Company. Careful with Xylene...this stuff will turn your liver into a door stop..VERY dangeous chemical!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane, if Pilkingtons washes off, what do you recommend for a redish stain?

I saved this link that someone posted. Anyone tryed this crap stuff?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11448

Alkanet root dye?http://www.naturalpigments.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=455-12S

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The root link is just for the root. You need to make the stain using th eroot. It takes about 6 months to really set up. it can be used earlier but seems to get better and better with age. 6 months has show me to be the soonest of the goodest results. 2 months is the minimum brew time.

I have many hundred dollars sunk into finsih and stain compnenets. There are tons of recipies and each piece of wood responds differently to different recipies. I have one thta is good for my eye over a wid erange, so that is what I like.

You can go to

DoubleGunshop.com

and search for "alkanet root stain" and similar words. This has been beaten todeath on th eboard with over a hundered pages on the topic of traditional stains and finsihes. So a couple of searches will fix you up.

FWIW, I do not like the Pilkington's English Red stain. I always got a better stain on my fingers than I could get on the wood. I went through 3 bottles and was only happy with one stock. And even it was not the look I was after. Could very well have been that my various application and finishing methods did not jive with it. I don't know, but I got tired of trying to get it to work for me.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Re Read my original post .

Professional means just that . major Furniture manufactures use that stuff . Washing off isn't an option . Staining wood is some what of an art .
Like stock making is or gunsmithing is Etc. .

If one experiences a Washed out or diluted dye color when sealing , try a slightly darker application of stain .Then wipe with a solvent to get what color your looking for and set the stain . Then seal with an appropriate sealer which WILL NOT LIFT .

There isn't a color which can't be matched with Mohawk Products , from Antique Museum pieces to your project.

Wear latex or better Nitrile gloves when working with Chemicals , your fingers will appreciate it not to mention your Wives !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alkenet root is a spice...well, no taste, just adds red color You can get it from Yankee Grocery, Hamden CT FAX 203 776 1089

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GSP,
You can try Behlens Solar Lux Blood Red. It works for me. Analine based and I think MEK is the carrier solvent.

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Yeti and SDH, Behlens Blood Red looked like a good "experiment". Found a local wood finish supply that has Behlens stains to play with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BTW, I use the Blood Red to tint toward red, if it's a light chunk of wood, the Red stain will leave a pinkish tone. Like you said - experiment!

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote