Find
Notify
Tools

1917 Eddystone ?'s
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted
I have a sporterized Eddystone Enfield 30-06 that I'm thinking about stripping down for the action. The rear sights have been milled, but it hasn't been drilled/tapped for scope mounts.

I'm thinking of building something between 416 Rigby and 495 A Square...in that range of rounds, but haven't decided yet.

I've read some things about the Eddystone actions...will it be suitable for this? Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot of big bore rifles have been built on the 1917 Enfield action. Some pooh-poohed the Eddystone, but they seem to be on plenty of big bores I have seen. Most older big bore rounds are relatively low pressure compared to some of the super magnums of today. My biggest suggestion would be to buy the best barrel you can afford and get a great smith to chamber and install it.

Good luck! This sounds like a great project. Headed to Africa soon? This makes a good excuse!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Africa will be a few years yet...getting all my personal debt cleared outta the way right now. And my 404 Jeff seems lonely in the safe.

I'll likely go with either a Krieger or Lothar Walther bbl and Roy Bedeaux of Albuquerque will do the metal work. I have a straight-grained piece of English walnut with some tight fiddle for the stock. Does anyone make aftermarket bottom metal for these? All my other bolt rifles are CZ's and I have no experience with the Enfields for custom rifles.

Considering:

416 Rigby
470 Capstick
460 A Square short
450 Rigby
495 A Square
500 Jeffery

as well as taking a look at the AR line of cartridges.

What all needs to be done to these actions to make them into a good DGR?

Good hunting,

Andy

Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy,

I don't know if anyone makes bottome metal for the 17. I will query Duane Weibe. I would like some for my project. Your rifle will look alot better with a new bolt handle and perhaps a model 70 style safety. Ed Lapour makes the safeties. Half Moon makes a great bolt handle. I suggest a barrel band and if you feel really wealthy, a integral 1/4 rib on the barrel.

Just remember there is no end to the amount of money you can spend!

I suggest you go to the " on "find" and type in Enfield, you will get all of the threads on this subject...a bunch!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
mauser bottom metal works, but requires a custom stock.. at least, custom bottom inletted

here's mine, the first 500 AR

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jeffe!

Hey Jim,

I know there's been lots of threads about these actions...just thought it would be fun to talk through it again. When I hang out here it's more for the interaction than it is just for information. Apparently, though, nobody else wants to rehash, so I'll drop it.

Good hunting,

Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy,

As I get mine started and working I will post some pictures here for all to see. I will gladly share info with you and others. Best of luck.

Jim

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post

A long time ago i built a 7STW on a Winchester Enfield on an NRA action (never been barreled). I had a Fajan straight bottom metal stock laying around, so as simple as it was i made up this jig and cut the metal of the guard and welded it up straight. Used Dunlaps book if i remember right to sporterize it. Turned out to be a fine rifle and shot better than i do! No. pictures, before the digital camera came out. but did get a newspaper artical wrote up with it showing an unfinished near completed stage... fun stuff.
Good Luck and enjoy!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
here's a .416 taylor...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2833 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Andy,
keep the safety as is.. polish is some, but really, though I like ed's safeties, it is hard to beat the enfield safety

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eddystones are not as desirable as Winchester or Remington 1917 actions. Cracked receiver rings occur. It is thought that this is because the issue barrels were installed and overtightened with power vises. The receivers can also be damaged when these overtight barrels are removed, unless they are relieved by first cutting a ring around the chamber just ahead of the receiver. Others claim the heat treatment and/or metallurgy is not as good, which, frankly, I doubt. My own view is that since Rem and Win actions are around, why start with an Eddystone?

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vigillinus:
...why start with an Eddystone?
Because I have one lying around not doing anything!

Good hunting,

Andy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some of the eddystones are real hard, take a center punch and try to dent the acion, if you can't dent the action you might want to have it annealed.

www.duanesguns.com

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Hi Duane,

Would it need to be rehardened after annealing (if it needs to be annealed...I haven't punched it yet.)? Thanks.

Good hunting,

Andy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Andy,
The ideal is to draw the receiver back to allow for the "easy" drilling, tapping, adjusting the feed rails etc. and then have it rehardened for strength. The problem with the super hard actions is they make all the above operations a PIA and they are easy to crack with the action wrench.

www.duanesguns.com

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Did some of the Eddystone's crack because too small barrels (shanks) were fitted?

Good hunting,

Andy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Most crack because the shank is slighty oversized (about a class 5 fit) and someone uses a 10ft cheater on the action wrench handle trying to remove the existing barrel instead of making a relief cut before removing the barrel.

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
10 ft cheater.... Eeker

Good hunting,

Andy