New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser questions
 Login/Join

<jsirm>
posted
Hello, I am considering converting a mauser action for a semi-dangerous game rifle. I am not thoroughly familiar with military mauser actions and the work required. I would like to know which Military 98 actions are most suitable for sporterization. Also, What books or websites are best to educate myself on the subject, and who are some gunsmiths who you would recomend to work on mausers? Thanks
Ian

one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably best to search here under 'mauser actions' I asked a lot of questions and got a lot of answers,

I'm curious about 'semi' dangerous game, do they charge and not bite, give small bites or just occasionaly kill someone?

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted

Semi-Dangerous game for GB is socer.

In AK they have some of the 100% dangerous game.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I would get a copy of Ludwig Olsen's book on Mauser Bolt Rifles. It covers military and commercial Mausers very well and is considered a standard reference. I'll give you my opinion: some military Mausers make good sporters but the most cost effective and expedient way to obtain a high-quality custom or semi-custom sporting rifle is to obtain a 1950's-1960's vintage FN commercial rifle, action or barreled action and go from there.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
<jsirm>
posted
Hello, thanks for the replys, what I meant by semi-dangerous, is the rifle style, not the actual danger encountered, this rifle will be chambered in an inbetween caliber, 9.3x62 or .375 Hawk, and will be somewhere inbetween a standard sporter and a traditional DGR. As this rifle might take a brown bear someday, but will be carried much, and used on deer as well. Anyways, How do I identify an early FN mauser, and who makes an aftermarket 3 position safety for one? thanks
Ian

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Many FN's are marked as such, like the factory FN sporters and others including Sears J.C. Higgins. Those that aren't, like ones used on Montgomery Wards, Colt, Jefferson Arms, Johnson Automatic, Marlins and various others can be ID'd by the proof marks (a standing lion and the letters PV). All are marked FN and dated below the wood lines. Precise Metalsmithing, David Gentry and Dakota offer nice M-70 type safeties, as well as some other gunsmiths.

[This message has been edited by fla3006 (edited 05-22-2002).]

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote