New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 on a small ring mauser?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just purchased a modified mauser. It is a K98AZ, a small ring mauser, apparently of late WW1 vintage. It has a redfield full bridge scope mount on the receiver with a screw head that is striped, so I can't identify the year marking which someone said should be there.

It has a heavy 270 barrel - straight taper to .68 dia, so its relatively heavy. As far as I can tell, it is close to having max headspace - using the not so good method of using a new case with shim material. It doesn't have the original bolt. The name on the barrel is Floyd E McCune. Anyone heard of him?

Is the 270 too high of a pressure round for an action like this? The action appears to be in good condition. I shot some reduced loads in it yesterday.

Phil Wiebe

Posts: 134 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: 24 October 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
small ring 98? shouldn't be an issue

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Phil: Didn't know there was another Wiebe here on AR.

I suppose if a large thread, small ring action were to come in for a 270 Win barrel, I probably try and talk the customer into something like a 6.5x55, 7x57 etc.

Having said that, I've seen a number of such conversions without problems.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
small ring 98? shouldn't be an issue

Small ring, large thread. I'd stick to something that operates a less pressure.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane - My thought when I first saw an article on your work in a magazine a few years ago, was, I'd like to have a rifle built by someone with a similar name, not to mention I liked what I saw, an opinion that remains from the material on this site.

I need advise - what is the best method to remove the stripped screw holding the scope mount? It's one on the front ring. I have a screw driver bit that's the right size, but the screw material is soft and giving way.

This is my first attempt to post a picture, trust that it'll work OK.

Is this a walnut stock, or birch or something else?

I think that the rifle is worth the $229 that I paid for it. The rifling is good with no pitting - that is if it turns out to be accurate.

Thanks all for your comment.

Phil W

Mauser 98 Kaz 270 bbl

Posts: 134 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: 24 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PRW

If I wanted to shoot the rifle as is, I would just load the 270 to the same pressure level as the 7x57 and 8x57.

The animals will never know the difference.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
I need advise - what is the best method to remove the stripped screw holding the scope mount? It's one on the front ring. I have a screw driver bit that's the right size, but the screw material is soft and giving way.

Have you tried using a center-punch to drive it counter-clockwise?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Phil,

When you say the screw is stripped, do you mean the slot of the screw is chewed up and it is hard for the screwdriver to get a good purchase?

If that is the case, it is possible the screw was installed with locktite and you can try heating the screw before you have another go with the screwdriver. You can use a soldering iron, or heat an old screwdriver, but I like to find a nail that has the head the same diameter as the screw, hold it with some vise grips and heat the head red with a torch and hold that to the stuck screw, then use your screwdriver. It doesn't have to be a nail, can be a piece of metal or an old bolt the same diameter, etc.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
hodgedon/imr lists
270 win at
51,000K cup

8x57 at 49,500 cup

with the same casehead - which means nearly identical bolt thrust

i don't recal, but my memory may be fading, horror stories of these blowing up as 8x57 ...

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PRW:
Duane - My thought when I first saw an article on your work in a magazine a few years ago, was, I'd like to have a rifle built by someone with a similar name, not to mention I liked what I saw, an opinion that remains from the material on this site.

This is my first attempt to post a picture, trust that it'll work OK.

Is this a walnut stock, or birch or something else?

I think that the rifle is worth the $229 that I paid for it. The rifling is good with no pitting - that is if it turns out to be accurate.

Thanks all for your comment.

Phil W

Mauser 98 Kaz 270 bbl

A Forester Jig will keep the drill under control....that's how I get them out. Sometimes, an ez out will do, sometimes, I just run a tap in...follows the old thread every time

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
hodgedon/imr lists
270 win at
51,000K cup

8x57 at 49,500 cup

with the same casehead - which means nearly

identical bolt thrust

Jeff...some years ago, Tom Burgess gave a metalsmithing class at Lassen JC. We are all pretty surprised when Tom mentioned a pressure "spike" in the vicinity of 70,000PSI on the 270 Win.

Why wouldn't the action let go? we asked. He replied that the spike was so rapid that the metal did not have time to react.

I'm not making this up...Jim Wisner, Tom De Lucca, James Tucker, John Vest...a host of others... were there.

In WW II, Tom had access to testing facilities that most of us would'nt even understand.

I can't prove it one way or the other, but I can many times look at a bolt face and say "Hmmm 270?" I've surprised a number of folks when I was right.

Don't read much into this...the 270 Win is far and away my favorite

i don't recal, but my memory may be fading, horror stories of these blowing up as 8x57 ...

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Duane,
Fair enough.

476AR,

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Tom and I discussed at length the pressure spikes found in Modern loadings. They were one of the primary reasons he advocated re-carburising Mauser actions. That said, the WWI era small ring 98's had design deficiancies. And yes, there were many in the original 8x57 that became takedown rifles.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most interesting..were these failures documented? (You learn something new every day!)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kar 98a small ring large thread actions are marginal. I have built many guns on them in 257 Roberts and Ack, 8mm, and 30-06. I do like and use them but know their shortcomings.

They are not time bombs. The main culprit is some are soft and none of them have a lot of meat in thr front receiver. Many stretch a bit loosening the barrel. The soft ones have lug setback issues and also tend to not retain scope bases. They are a weak action but give plenty of warning when to stop shooting them.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
Most interesting..were these failures documented? (You learn something new every day!)

Yes, in fact, Tom himself posted about the issues these receivers have. Receiver ring stretch was a real problem with these rifles during WWI. Throughout the years improvements were made but in the end it far easier to use the small ring small thread design.

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
posted Hide Post
zir: Thank you..it's probably in the archives somewhere...but...did Tom ever discuss the old practice of grinding off the sides of the ring to make it sorta look like a small ring from the top?

I remember doing a couple myself!

I "figgered" that the original metal on top would re-inforce the locking recess, but in later years, when you fill a case full of bull's eye, the 98's fail horizontally at the (extractor slot)

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Duane,

Yes, we did have discussions about "ovalising" receiver rings as Tom called it. Some receivers are suited to this treatment, others aren't. Most notably, the Peruvian 1909 being his preferred receiver to "ovalise". Of course, these actions had small ring threads and did not share the same "concern".

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, since my K98a is a WWI, small ring, large thread action, with a 270 - what is the practical application as far as how it should be used?

Shoot reduced 270 loads only?

Above it was mentioned that there were in service problems during the war when used with the 8x57 cartridge. Should I continue to use this rifle and watch for problems, or bring it back to the store (there is a 30 day return on it)?

The front ring is very thin at the top of the extractor cut. You will see from the picture I posted above that the barrel is very stiff, and does not taper until quite a ways out. Does this help with reducing the stress on the action?

Thanks for your comments and the information.

Phil W

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
Duane,

Yes, we did have discussions about "ovalising" receiver rings as Tom called it. Some receivers are suited to this treatment, others aren't. Most notably, the Peruvian 1909 being his preferred receiver to "ovalise". Of course, these actions had small ring threads and did not share the same "concern".

Recently there was an 09 Arg for sale here on AR that had been "ovalized". Seems like a bad idea on a large ring 98....

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
Recently there was an 09 Arg for sale here on AR that had been "ovalized". Seems like a bad idea on a large ring 98....

Hard to say without inspecting it. On the whole I'd tend to agree but if the receiver had the right construction it may have lent itself to such conversion. Certainly the best receivers to use for this would be large ring small thread types. But that does not mean others cannot safely be used. It really depends on the individual receiver and of course the degree to which the receiver is altered.

Aut vincere aut mori

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PRW:
OK, since my K98a is a WWI, small ring, large thread action, with a 270 - what is the practical application as far as how it should be used?

Shoot reduced 270 loads only? That would be my preference. Load it to something similar to a 7x57 load which ought to me more than sufficient.

Above it was mentioned that there were in service problems during the war when used with the 8x57 cartridge. Should I continue to use this rifle and watch for problems, or bring it back to the store (there is a 30 day return on it)? In field use the units were supplied with gages that were used to check headspace. Any that exhibited growth were culled from use. The real issue here is receiver ring stretch. Bear in mind that service rifles were subjected to a good deal more use than your typical hunting rifle. If you intend hunting with it a few times a year and popping off a few rounds here or there you might consider keeping it, but if you plan to target shoot as well in volume, I might consider passing.

The front ring is very thin at the top of the extractor cut. You will see from the picture I posted above that the barrel is very stiff, and does not taper until quite a ways out. Does this help with reducing the stress on the action? No, remember, the stress that is detrimental to these receivers is the one that is trying to push the barrel down range upon firing. This may have the cumulative effect of stretching the receiver ring.

Thanks for your comments and the information.

Phil W

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as a hunting rifle that shoots 20 rounds a year it may last a lifetime. It is not a good choice for a high volume gun.

Buy a set of headspace gauges from Brownell's or Midway and check it every so often. The gun may or may not pass a NoGo right now due to mismatched parts; don't rule it out for that reason. If it doesn't pass a Field gauge you have to make a decision as to try a new bolt or just give up on it.

Use the headspace gauges properly. As a minimum take the striker assembly out of the bolt. You should use a stripped bolt but I leave the extractor on and insure the gauge is on the bolt face under the extractor hook. Gently close the bolt using fingertip pressure. Stop when you feel resistance. You can force the bolt closed on an otherwise serviceable chamber, DON'T Do That!

If it passes a NoGo or Field, use it, and as stated earlier check it occassionally. If it starts to "grow" headspace, take it apart, save the barrel and bolt and discard the receiver. I have only had one 30-06 on a 1916 Kar 98A go unserviceable on me or friends. The 1917, 1918, and 1918/1920 double dated ones are generally considered "harder", so lug set back will not be as likely as the 1916 and earlier, but the weak receiver ring issue will still be there (inherant design flaw). Again these are not a ticking time bomb like a bad low number 03, but are a weak design that gives warning that it is wearing out.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Siam_Krag
posted Hide Post
What about the Polish Radoms made in the 1930's, do they also suffer from the receiver stretching?

Posts: 169 | Location: Santa Cruz, California | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, remember, the stress that is detrimental to these receivers is the one that is trying to push the barrel down range upon firing. This may have the cumulative effect of stretching the receiver ring.

No .. the rounds are trying to blow OUT in all directions, equally. that's how the receivers stretch. Pushing "down range" in a mono-directional force, and a mistatement.

broomstick'ed barrels, from obstructions, show this CLEARLY ...

that most receivers part in a vertical strip is do to the path of least resistence of the matel .. but in no way does the bottom of the receiver take less stress than the top

476AR,

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
No, remember, the stress that is detrimental to these receivers is the one that is trying to push the barrel down range upon firing. This may have the cumulative effect of stretching the receiver ring.

No .. the rounds are trying to blow OUT in all directions, equally. that's how the receivers stretch. Pushing "down range" in a mono-directional force, and a mistatement.

broomstick'ed barrels, from obstructions, show this CLEARLY ...

that most receivers part in a vertical strip is do to the path of least resistence of the matel .. but in no way does the bottom of the receiver take less stress than the top

Yes Jeff, the pressure pushes in all directions, I never said it was mono directional. But, the chamber wall is more than 1/4" thick and can easily contain the pressure upon firing. Unless the case head lets go, the barrel (and cartridge case) contains the pressure not the receiver ring. However, that same pressure IS acting acting against the barrel and boltface. The same pressure that is pushing the bullet down the bore is also pushing back on the bolt. It acts against the bolt face and the barrel thus stretching the receiver ring. Remember, the ring on these is as thin as 3/32". The failures in these actions resulted in the receiver ring seperating from the rest of the receiver just ahead of the "C" ring. The receiver was not blown out and would not be unless perhaps a case head let go and then the receiver itself was required to try and contain 50,000+ psi.

Aut vincere aut mori

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Mike check your Pms.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote