Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger M-77
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted
I have a old Ruger M-77 in 7mm RM. I was looking to rebarrel it this year, any suggestions on Cal. I have a 6mm Rem,30-06,338-06. Give me an idea on a short mag.Thanks

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
358 Norma mag. great cartridge. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well Rob, the rounds you mention won't work. The head size of the 7MM Rem. Mag. is wider, which would rquire you to get a new bolt. I don't think Ruger will sell you one.
Dan's suggestion isn't bad. You could go to a .300 Win. Mag. That's a good round. If you want to go to a wildcat, the .375 Taylor is a good one. I had a Ruger 77 in .338 Mag. that had the barrel damaged. (I didn,'t do it, I bought it that way for the action and stock.) it will duplicate a .375 H&H with less recoil. To make brass, either neck up .338 Win. Mag., or, and this is the method I prefer, neck down .458 Win. Mag. Trim the necks just enought to square them off. Load up with full power grade loads and enjoy.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
<jd_1>
posted
Well sounds like you have the small to medium bore covered. I would go with a 35 cal. or bigger magnum to top your collection off unless you have no intentions of leaving the Americas to hunt(if you do hunt). Then I might go for a 257 STW or something in it's class.

<jd_1>
posted
Sorry to post again but after re-reading your post what about a 257 short mag. That woudld close the gap between your 6mm and 30 cal.

<Big Stick>
posted
The Ruger won't accomodate full length H&H cases.

A great no fuss conversion,is the 257Wby. Simply install a new barrel and you are done..........

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I was thinking of maybe the 358 NM. However the 375 Taylor sounds interesting. I understand it as just a necked down 458 WM or a 338 WM necked up ? Sounds like just a rebarrel and away I go. Who makes the Dies or are they a custom order.

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I looked at Pac-Nor barrels they have a
375-338 is that the same as the 375 Taylor ?

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob1SG:
I was thinking of maybe the 358 NM. However the 375 Taylor sounds interesting. I understand it as just a necked down 458 WM or a 338 WM necked up ? Sounds like just a rebarrel and away I go. Who makes the Dies or are they a custom order.

I have both a .375 H&H and a .358 Norma mag -- no .375 Taylor. :-(

I'd really think more about the .358 Norma! Dies are not custom, but are not in the absolute cheapest (most common) category. Mine are RCBS.

You can make .358 Norma brass (and .375 Taylor, I've been told) from almost any belted magnum case. For the .358 Norma, I've used 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, .338 Win Mag, and .375 H&H Mag (the latter of course needs some trimming; some of the former ones make brass a whisker short but not enough to matter).

A nice advantage of the .358 Norma Mag is that you can use cheap pistol bullets for practice! I really like this option. A 125gr Hollow Point pistol bullet intended for 1200fps becomes an awesome varmint dispatcher at 3100fps. You can shoot these bullets even faster, but some might not make it to the target before coming apart.

On the other hand, 14 grains of Red Dot with a pistol bullet weighing between 125 and 160 grains recoils like a .22 rimfire but is much more fun to shoot (hey, I like to see the holes in my targets!).

jpb

[This message has been edited by jpb (edited 01-16-2002).]

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Phil R>
posted
Rob,
I have a .375/.338 on a Ruger 77 action that I like much.There is a .375/.338 discussion thread under "African Hunting" that you may find interesting.

------------------
Phil- Life Member NRA & SCI

<Mike Dettorre>
posted
If its a 7mm Rem Mag, its a LA. I would build a 375 Hawk. A super improved 375 Whelen that has enough shoulder to headspace properly.

------------------
MED

The sole purpose of a rifle is to please its owner

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Phil R, I did a search for that thread, couldn't find it. How about a title ?

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote