Find
Notify
Tools

Chrome Moly vs Stainless Steel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What are the advantages and disadvantages of
Chrome moly vs stainless steel. This would be for a 25-284 round.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stainless steel is more corrossion resistant and is also slightly more resistant to throat erosion.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The main advantages to CM barrels is they are normally stronger for a given weight/diameter, they give you more freedom in outside finishes, and they are normally a bit cheaper.

SS barrels claim a longer “life†and obviously, a bit better corrosion resistance from the elements.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless you plan on shooting it all the time and putting some real miles on the barrel, the wear resistance factor is negligible.

Same thing goes with the corrosion resistance. If you live in a dry climate and don't plan on really exposing the rifle to the elements continuously, then you may not need to go with SS.

But, if your rifle will look better cosmetically, such as with a nice synthetic stock and even a blue action, SS could be the right choice.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two remington ss barrels that were easily damaged with a bronze cleaning brush.I have two remington cm barrels that shoot amazingly well.I have never damaged a cm barrel by cleaning.I don,t know anything about steel but my remington stianless barrels did not look,feel,shoot,or clean like my douglas stainless barrel.Was it the same steel? Is chrome molly and stainless from one manufacture the same as any?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
I was on a SS kick for a spell, but I've sort of reverted back to CM. It gets the job done just fine and is generally cheaper.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stainless steel is not as porus as chrome molly so you would have less fouling problems with stainless steel.

Posts: 318 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 November 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Stainless has less finish choices... bright, blasted, painted...

stainless tends to gall more while being machines. the barrels, IMNSHO tend to copper foul more, though that might be just visual

one friend loves SS guns, but he's a good guy otherwise jumping

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stainless is said to clean easier and foul less. I like stainless because it doesn't rust too easily and a small ding can be taken care of with a file and emery cloth without rubbing away any bluing. Stainless is "class," in my opinion.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
well............I'm most of the way into a cheap bottle of South African Merlot......lol.

Anyway, from most stand points the barrel of a rifle being SS or CM is of little concern, keep them clean and don't get them hot will a barrel burner round and they will out last most owners. When a rifle is put to extream tests.......which most arent, its a differnt set of circumstances. This from a hunters perspective I can honestly say I have done some very extream hunting to the point it borders on poor judgemnt.........but I'm older and wiser....but not that much wiser ask anybody that know me....lol. I've seen rifles rust both inside and out in Alaska on role your own hunts and still shoot.......my experences its wood stock and triggers that give you problems...........as in they fired the bush pilot nobody comes and gets you and you live on Caribou meat for a week or two......... but camp dry will keep it working when thats all you got, talk about WD40 being a poor lubrican for guns......I'd a give my left nut Smiler....be suprised how good a shot a man is when he is hungry Smiler.......my buddies rifle was blued....mine was SS......they both worked and at his daddy's funeral last week we talked about living off Caribou meat and his dad picking us up at the airport.......I had lost 18 pounds and his dad said.............dang Billy......you look pretty good, look like Alaska did you some good Smiler.......SS, CM...really didnt matter.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That must be a good Merlot.

jumping

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluemule1:
What are the advantages and disadvantages of
Chrome moly vs stainless steel. This would be for a 25-284 round.
Hey Bluemule, I'd say it depends on whether you intend to keep it indoors in a controlled environment or if you plan to actually use it a lot outdoors.

If indoors, (constantly rusting) Blue steel can be made right Pretty. Looks real nice with fancy (Termite Food) Wood stocks - until you touch it without gloves on. Then you have finger prints at first that can be wiped off and if you miss them, they become "rust etched" into the Blue Steel.

If outdoors, nothing beats Stainless except Coated Stainless. The typical Brushed Finishes disappear much easier in the woods or fields than Shinny Blue. Just walk out in the woods with someone that has one and back off 50yds or so and you will easily see the difference. Fingerprints don't make a quack and won't hurt a thing until you can wipe it down at night.

Blood eats both Blue and Stainless.

I had to use Blue for a long time, fortunately that is no longer the situation. Just remember, you can't Pretty them to death.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From what I understand HC your fat ass couldn't make it to far in the woods anyhow. Trouble is, your condition (fat ass syndrome) prevents you from taking care of a firearm.

A man of your "stature" has a hard time hiding behind a stage name for long.

Aint speculating neigther................

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To make you feel better, that attack was personal.

And remember, Aint speculating neigther.......

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find that I buy stainless more offten then not now days.

I find I am finding rust forming on my blued rifles and the stainless ones not showing anything.

No unless one wants the looks of a blued rifle stainless sty is the way to go.

My stainless service guns look as good as when I brought them my blued ones looked like they have been worked the last 28 years.

Posts: 19581 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gringo Cazador:
well............I'm most of the way into a cheap bottle of South African Merlot......lol.

Anyway, from most stand points the barrel of a rifle being SS or CM is of little concern, keep them clean and don't get them hot will a barrel burner round and they will out last most owners. When a rifle is put to extream tests.......which most arent, its a differnt set of circumstances. This from a hunters perspective I can honestly say I have done some very extream hunting to the point it borders on poor judgemnt.........but I'm older and wiser....but not that much wiser ask anybody that know me....lol. I've seen rifles rust both inside and out in Alaska on role your own hunts and still shoot.......my experences its wood stock and triggers that give you problems...........as in they fired the bush pilot nobody comes and gets you and you live on Caribou meat for a week or two......... but camp dry will keep it working when thats all you got, talk about WD40 being a poor lubrican for guns......I'd a give my left nut Smiler....be suprised how good a shot a man is when he is hungry Smiler.......my buddies rifle was blued....mine was SS......they both worked and at his daddy's funeral last week we talked about living off Caribou meat and his dad picking us up at the airport.......I had lost 18 pounds and his dad said.............dang Billy......you look pretty good, look like Alaska did you some good Smiler.......SS, CM...really didnt matter.

Hey Billy, bring some of that Saturday! clap

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stainless does not have to be blued. Also small scratches and nicks can be polished out. For me stainless ends up being cheaper because it does not require blueing.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6643 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also think stainless may possess a higher resale value because it doesn't show wear overly much. But then, I will never again sell any of my guns after September 14, 1994.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
SS.... Not as strong as Cro-Moly. Cold weather really reduces it's strength I've been told.

Lots of pluses to SS. Especially, here in the Northwest. It's great for a hunting rifle (along with synthetic stocks), but aesthetically I prefer Cro-Moly and English walnut.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1633 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not topic related, but I cannot understand why one individual would openly attack another individual on this forum. What could possibly be gained?

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well its a fairly well known fact within the bench rest circles,that stainless will provide around 20% more accurate barrel life. In a hunting rifle,that percentage will be greater since accuracy isn't as crucial.

I still like moly and its not nearly as fragile as everybody would have you believe,in the current stainless trend we live in.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote