New
Find
Notify
Tools

slippery stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just replaced the factory stock (synthetic) on my pre-64 model 70 with an aftermarket laminated model. I have wanted to go back to wood for some time, but wanted to have something more stable than a run of the mill wooden stock, hence the laminated option. The stock itself was exactly what I was looking for, with nearly flawless wood to metal fit, and proportions that fit my build far better than the original. I opted not to have it checkered, since I don't care that much for the look. Anyway, the only negative thing that I can say about this stock is that it is so smooth that I am concerned about dropping it. I read somewhere that there is a new transparent spray-on product that can alleviate this problem. Do any of you out there have any suggestions?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have seen this, http://www.rustoleum.com/about...um-anti-slip-spray/, but haven't used it. Might be what you're looking for.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have used wrinkle paint but it is black.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have scatebard tape on my laminated Ruger

You may be able to see it in this picture

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gracedog:
I just replaced the factory stock (synthetic) on my pre-64 model 70 with an aftermarket laminated model. I have wanted to go back to wood for some time, but wanted to have something more stable than a run of the mill wooden stock, hence the laminated option. The stock itself was exactly what I was looking for, with nearly flawless wood to metal fit, and proportions that fit my build far better than the original. I opted not to have it checkered, since I don't care that much for the look. Anyway, the only negative thing that I can say about this stock is that it is so smooth that I am concerned about dropping it. I read somewhere that there is a new transparent spray-on product that can alleviate this problem. Do any of you out there have any suggestions?

When I painted my boat I used some grip grit from Home depot on the step surfaces. You just mix it in with the paint. It worked pretty well. I have never thought of trying it, but I expect it would work with some tung oil on a stock in the grip areas.

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
You should have gotten it checkered.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is what I did.

Get sand from a bridal or hobby store that matches the color of your stock. Clean and tape off the area you want to texture. Spray it with Spar Varnish (I used Helmsman from Minwax). Sprinkle the sand on while the varnish is wet, and pat it into the wet varnish with your hand. Let dry, and overcoat with vanish one or two times. It doesn't take much sand, you don't want to coat it, just add texture.

This has held up well for me and it looks like it is supposed to be there.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Wingwalk,,works for me.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1410 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I used Rustoleum Multi-color Textured in Autumn Brown for a brown laminated stock and taped off the stock to leave a checkering pattern. Just a light coat will do the trick and you can still see the grain of the wood through the Rustoleum. Works great.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1371 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the ideas. I also found out about a clear spray from "Slipdoctors" that may work. Thanks for the help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rub it down with a good floor wax or surf board wax. Protects stock and gives it a grippy feel. I also use it on metal to prevent rust.

Posts: 2833 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
Rub it down with a good floor wax or surf board wax. Protects stock and gives it a grippy feel. I also use it on metal to prevent rust.

Yes, non slip wax takes away that slick feeling.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
This is what I did.

Get sand from a bridal or hobby store that matches the color of your stock. Clean and tape off the area you want to texture. Spray it with Spar Varnish (I used Helmsman from Minwax). Sprinkle the sand on while the varnish is wet, and pat it into the wet varnish with your hand. Let dry, and overcoat with vanish one or two times. It doesn't take much sand, you don't want to coat it, just add texture.

This has held up well for me and it looks like it is supposed to be there.

Jeremy

Great idea!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brownells has a spray grit that also comes in clear to show your laminated stock:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsm...y-grit-prod1140.aspx

Posts: 203 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can also use a normal can of satin or flat clear and hold it just far enough away from the stock that you are dusting it and it will give it a very light texture. I have used this method, spray grit, pottery texture, and stippling. Each has it's place but I would probably just hit it with clear like I first mentioned if you want the stock to look the same but feel less slick.