New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interchangeable glassbedding
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If a stock has been glassbedded for one barreled action, will another barreled action of the same make and model fit ?

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi: It should fit if same, identical style
barreled action...if it is a whisker different
its easy to either sand off a minute amount or
add a bit. You didn't say if the barrel
channel is glass bedded...some like Mel Forbes
of Ultralight Arms likes to bed the entire
barrel channel to the forend..(dampens barrel
vibration).
Best Regards, Tom

Posts: 262 | Location: Wyoming, U.S.A. | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
this is an it depends..
if it's just the tangs bedded, it COULD work.

but honestly, in the main, no, it won't work due to the nature that the finish of bedding is to be a skin tight fit.. and if you notice that even chamber on sequential guns are slightly different, other than the ruger 77 RSm, no barrels are that consistant

in short, 99% probablity no

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In a word; NO

You are defeating the purpose of the whole operation.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I have a light fiberglass stock I use for the mtns. I have several MKX barreled actions that I switch in and out. Checking the fit it close but far from perfect. Accuracy is not as good as the barreled action is in it's normal stock. But for my needs acceptable. I view it as a touch up from the aluminum bedding block without glass and far better than the normal factory unbedded stock.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A common way for some guys to have their Stolle actions bedded is with the gunsmiths own action. I just had 2 stocks bedded without sending the gentleman that did it my actions, works great. I do not know if factory actions are repeatable enough to do this or not.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems to me it defeats the purpose.

Besides if you bed it for one action , then put in another and fire it you would change the bedding for the original action, thereby ruing it for both actions.

Bad idea.

I know that on some of my guns the inspectors stamps wouldn't match up in the bedding. Wink

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
fire it you would change the bedding for the original action, thereby ruing it for both actions.

If the purpose of the bedding is to support the action and barrel and handle the recoil. How will shooting another barreled action in a rifle damage the bedding.

In checking the stock I swap using inletting black. The action it was molded to has full contact behind the tang and 2" of barrel. Checking others one might make contact behind the tang and not the barrel and vice versa. Also had them make full contact.

I can see how it is not as good as molding to each action. But, I have trouble seeing how swapping will damage the bedding if it drops in.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All machining operations are performed within a set of acceptable tolerances, and therefore all barreled receivers are going to be a “slightly†different size within those tolerances.

Swapping barreled actions in a glass bedding stock is going to pretty much be the same as swapping them in a stock with an aluminum bedding block. They will have a “close†fit...NOT a “perfect†fit.

I would guess that the vast majority of hunting rifles are not bedded at all, so I doubt that your average hunter is going to ever see any negative results from swapping barreled actions in and out of a bedded stock.

If you’re one of these guys looking for ¼ inch groups then it probably isn’t such a good idea.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you’re one of these guys looking for ¼ inch groups then it probably isn’t such a good idea.

Years ago maybe. Can't even begin to imagine the amount of powder and bullets I went through trying to get every fraction of an inch. For my varmint rifles they stay bedded. For that rifle I take in the mountain deer and elk hunting. It was a 3/4" in it's normal stock it is a 7/8-1" in the swap out. For the ranges I shoot anymore 1/8-1/4" ain't going to make a difference. Plus it is now 1-2# lighter and easier on this old body.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:

Years ago maybe. Can't even begin to imagine the amount of powder and bullets I went through trying to get every fraction of an inch. For my varmint rifles they stay bedded. For that rifle I take in the mountain deer and elk hunting. It was a 3/4" in it's normal stock it is a 7/8-1" in the swap out. For the ranges I shoot anymore 1/8-1/4" ain't going to make a difference. Plus it is now 1-2# lighter and easier on this old body.

My point exactly. Swapping barreled actions in and out of a stock isn’t “precise†but if your shooting doesn’t require the upmost in precision then don’t worry about it.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
fire it you would change the bedding for the original action, thereby ruing it for both actions.

I can see how it is not as good as molding to each action. But, I have trouble seeing how swapping will damage the bedding if it drops in.

My thinking is either..

The second action is too big in a dimension or two and forcing it into the bedding of the first will damage the bedding..or

The second action is smaller in some dimnensions than the first, it drops right in, perhaps there isn't full contact with the lug and when firing the gun the recoil could cause the action to pound the bedding and damage it.

Of course if you know both actions are exactly the same dimensions, have at it.

JMHO.

Rob

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote