Find
Notify
Tools

Which action...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi,
I am looking to rebarrel an action to a 338 win mag. My choices for available actions are a Win M70 currently in .270, a Rem 700 BDL in 7mm Rem Mag or possibly a Montana 1999 action. Any suggestions on which to choose? Thanks!

one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
You didn't say that the M-70 was a CRF or PF and that would make a difference as the CRF is a lot easier to modify.

Of the given choices I'd pick on the Rem 700 as the donor.

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would go with the Model 70, it's the Rifleman's Rifle!

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ghostrider272:
Hi,
I am looking to rebarrel an action to a 338 win mag. My choices for available actions are a Win M70 currently in .270, a Rem 700 BDL in 7mm Rem Mag or possibly a Montana 1999 action. Any suggestions on which to choose? Thanks!

You'd have to answer a few of questions first:

Are the M70 and M700 both complete rifles or just actions?

If they're complete rifles, the M700 is a simple barrel swap. The M70 will need to the bolt face and rails opened to magnum configuration, and you'll need a new box and follower. In either case, I'd probably sell one of the rifles and buy what I wanted in a 338 WM rather than re-barrel a rifle.

Do you have the MRC action already? Is it in std mag configuration?

If it's already a magnum configuration, it should be just an easy barrel job.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Easy; rebarrel the 7 Rem Mag.

The 270 will do just about anything the 7 mag will do so therefore all you need is a bigger hammer. And...I'd bet you find a steal of a deal on a blued, slightly used 338 Win Mag Rem factory barrel somewhere that is blued and may well screw in without any hassle. Just a thought...

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for your replies so far. i forgot to add that the rem and win are both left handed rifles, complete. i was wondering if rebarreling one of them would be better than buying a whole new montana action and barrel in left hand. the only place i have seen a left handed 338 is savage, browning and custom remington.

not sure if the win is crf or push. the rem and the win rifles can be had for a good price that's why i am inquiring.

thanks!

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
order an MRC and barrel, then a win takeoff stock

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Ghostrider, here's a LH M70 in 300WM for $750. It would be a simple rebarrel to 338WM, if you really want to go that route. I'd probably keep it as a 300WM and go hunting.

LH Model 70

Here's a good looking M70 in 7Mag that would be an easy barrel swap.
LH 7 Mag

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
The best action for me is often what I already have. I'd rebarrel the Remington and keep the Win as a .270

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote