New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 30???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just walked away from two nice Remington Model 30s at a gun show.

The one I preferred is 30-06, not drilled or tapped for scope, but with a nice Lyman 48.

$350.

Am I a fool?

The second is scoped, and Rem. .30.

$375.

How rare are these?

I know there are Model 30 fanatics on this board.

flaco

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Flaco,

They are not exactly rare but neither is there an over abundance of them.

I certainly would have purchased either of them for their asking price as in my book, they are most definitely worth it.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had I been there I probably would have bought one or the other. Fair pricing on both. I was at a small local gun show today, nothing much tripped my trigger, wish they had been up here.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I would have purchased the 30 Remington. That ittle caliber is about the best close range deer caliber even made. I have a Remington Model 8 Special Grade and a Remington Model 14 in that caliber. They are fantastic on killing deer within 150 yards with little meat damage. The Model 8 and the Model 30 you mention can use pointed bullets too. I always thought they looked like little 404 Jefferys. The solids show below punched neat little hole through the shoulder plates of a few large feral boars last year.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I would've tried to talk the guy down to $300 or $325
on the 30-06 but if the bore was good, I'd have probably paid the man....

The 30Rem in performance is no different from a 30-30win and that rifle was drilled, so now it's just another old rifle that someone drilled holes in.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Agreed, the 30 Remington is nothing more than a rimless 30-30, but PERFECT for most deer hunting. I shoot Columbian black-tailed deer and it is PERFECT! I love the caliber and would love to find a Remington 30 in 30 Remington for that task!

Those solids I have above were womderful rounds!

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
Most of the very few model 30's I run across have been converted to some belted magnum caliber. If they were any where close to an original configuration, I probably would have bought both. If they were highly modified, I would have tried to get one down around $300 to build a .375 h&h out of.

Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan DeGroot:

The 30Rem in performance is no different from a 30-30win and that rifle was drilled, so now it's just another old rifle that someone drilled holes in.

AllanD

The few I've heard of, including my .35 Rem have only one hole in the rear bridge. Mine doesn't look like the two front holes are in line and I heard from another owner with the same. Bad Jig? Who knows? But Sharpes THE RIFLE IN AMERICA says they were available D&T'd from the factory by special order.

I would have paid for either if they were in honest condition.

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Guys,
he's not talking about the 30 REMINGTON round

he's talking about the Rem model 30 RIFLE

Flaco,
go back and buy them both, don't think about it, don't ask questions to him!! that's about 60% of what a HORRIBLE specimen will go for.

in fact, buy the one with the lyman 48 and sell it to me.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jeffe,

I agree, I would have bought them both. But, I believe flaco is talking about two Remington model 30’s...one in 06 and one in .30 Remington caliber.

At least that’s the way I read his post. The actions, to me are what is worth the money as you can chamber/re-barrel them to just about whatever caliber you want.

Last model 30 I personally saw for sale was $950.00 and it was pretty rough inside and out.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretty rough m30 for $950.

Come on , your not looking very hard . I see unmolesded ones quiet often at a decent price.

Seems like the swiss cheeze experiment ones, the owners are quiet proud of their junk.

I swear , The prices people are bidding on some of the auction sites has gone up the last year or 2.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree, I would have bought them both. But, I believe flaco is talking about two Remington model 30’s...one in 06 and one in .30 Remington caliber.

That is the one I am talking about; a Remington Model 30 [Express], in the 30 Remington caliber which shoots 150-190 grain slugs.

Remember that the actualy Model 30 only came in .30-06 Springfield. The Model 30 Express came in .30-06 Springfield, .25 Rem, .30 Rem, .32 Rem, .35 Rem, 7mm Mauser, .257 Rem-Roberts.

The Express was made from 1926-1940, while the standard Model was 1921-1925.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
Pretty rough m30 for $950.

Come on , your not looking very hard . I see unmolesded ones quiet often at a decent price.

Seems like the swiss cheeze experiment ones, the owners are quiet proud of their junk.

I swear , The prices people are bidding on some of the auction sites has gone up the last year or 2.

I wasn’t looking for any, just happened to be the last one I personally saw for sale at a show.

Look what guys are paying for pre 64 Winchesters, and in my opinion the Remington 30’s are every bit the rifle that a model 70 is/was.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I think the Model 30 has a lot of character. If someone finds one in the Remington calibers 25/30/32 and you are hoping to shoot the .30-06 Springfield class of calibers in it, remember you will have to open up the bolt face. The original Remington calibers were more like a 6.5 mannlicher in rim diameter.

Those little calibers are actually funny looking on the Model 30s big magazine. It is too bad Remington did not make this gun in 300 H&H. That would be cherry.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick , I have a couple so I kinda search for them to see whats out there.

I kept seeing a farely nice M30 express at a gun shows few years ago, and the guy wanted $485 as I recall. I thought the guy was crazy. I was thinkin $200 Big Grin Big Grin Shows what a cheap basturd I am Big Grin Big Grin

Too Much! beer
beer

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=7337151&aa= Remington MODEL 30 EXPRESS~.30 REM~LYMAN PEEP SIGHT~N.R.~

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Remington Model 30 Express in 30 Remington

Above is one that is in Auction currently, and over $550 now. The Model 30 Express rifle came with Redfield reciever sights (30SR), and others with a Marbles -Glass receiver sight (30SM). The Lyman here was added to the gun which was very common.

Remington Model 30 Express Special Grade (30S)

Many hole, many to many!

one of us
posted Hide Post
333, that guys been trying to sell that refinished m30 junk, that was attacked by a drill, for a long time.

Maybe those holes are sticking roses in as a table centerpiece

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 333_OKH:
Remington Model 30 Express in 30 Remington

Above is one that is in Auction currently, and over $550 now. The Model 30 Express rifle came with Redfield reciever sights (30SR), and others with a Marbles -Glass receiver sight (30SM). The Lyman here was added to the gun which was very common.

Remington Model 30 Express Special Grade (30S)

Many hole, many to many!

according to Sharpes THE RIFLE IN AMERICA (1938) the original M30 guns were D&T'd for the Lyman 48R and had a clumsy stock.

After a few year Whelen designed an NRA type stock, they changed the knob and it wa now the 30 Express. The different models were the 30SL with the Lyman 48, a 30SR with a Redfield 102 and a 30SX that was D&T'd for a receiver sight but came with open barrel sights.

He goes on to say that it could be "regularly supplied" D&T'd for Weaver telescopic sight and mounts or factory equipped with the Weaver sight.

The original calibers were the .25, .30, .32 & .35 Remington Rimless and the 30-06. Later on special calibers included the 8mm Mauser, the 7.65mm Mauser, the 7mm and .257 Roberts.

Early 30-06's had reworked military barrels with a oversized bore of .311 to fit the British Mark 1 bullet but after a couple of years they went to a 3.085 bore.

Rob

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
The original calibers were the .25, .30, .32 & .35 Remington Rimless and the 30-06. Later on special calibers included the 8mm Mauser, the 7.65mm Mauser, the 7mm and .257 Roberts.

The list of calibers and models I posted came from the historical section of Remington's web page

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From Roy Marcot’s book: Remington, America’s Oldest Gunmaker.

The model 30 Express was released in 1926 in 30-06, .25, .30, .32, and .35 Remington calibers.

In 1931 7mm mauser and .257 Roberts calibers were added.

The model was last offered in 1940 and it was replaced by the model 720.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
8mm Mauser, the 7.65mm Mauser

If they exist the Argentine would be neat rifle to have.[

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Remember that the actualy Model 30 only came in .30-06 Springfield. The Model 30 Express came in .30-06 Springfield, .25 Rem, .30 Rem, .32 Rem, .35 Rem, 7mm Mauser, .257 Rem-Roberts.

The Express was made from 1926-1940, while the standard Model was 1921-1925.

Not long ago at one of our local pawn shops there was a Rem Model 30 that was chambered in a 244 Remington, the barrel having Remington factory marks on it.....It stuck out in my mind, as I thought it was odd to have it chambered in that cartridge....

Anyone know if a barrel from a 721 would have been able to be threaded to that action maybe?

It was a long action and it also had a 26 inch barrel on it....

I could of had it for $300.00 cash.....

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth you can load 30 Rem with 30/30 dies. Just jont push the shoulder back and it works fine.
good Luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
A 721 has "V" threads and the Model 30 has square threads. It won't fit, plus the shank on the Model 30 is much larger than the 721. You usually have to order a 1 3/8" diameter shanked barrel.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 333_OKH:
Agreed, the 30 Remington is nothing more than a rimless 30-30, but PERFECT for most deer hunting. I shoot Columbian black-tailed deer and it is PERFECT! I love the caliber and would love to find a Remington 30 in 30 Remington for that task!

Those solids I have above were womderful rounds!

If I were looking for an old classic remington in a remington caliber I'd be far more inclined to go with as old a remington pump rifle as I could find in 35Rem, because 35Rem Ammo and brass is FAR easier to
keep a supply of.
30Rem ammo and brass is nearly collector item
territory....

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Allan, brass readily available from Graf & Sons

REM BRASS 30 REM UNPRM BULK PER 100
Item Number: RU30R · Availability: In stock
Quantity: 100 $28.99 500 $137.70 1000 $260.91 2000 $504.43

Ammo is a different story, but Buffalo has it

30 Remington Loaded Ammun ition 170 Grn. Core-Lokt
Item #: AMO30REM
Your Price: $31.00 / Box of 20

However, why lug a 30-06 rifle around chambered in a smaller 30 cal ctg? A Rem pump 14 or 141 would be sweet in 30 Rem.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The guys that came up with the new 6.8 SPC round used Remington 30 brass and from what they said in the articles I’ve read they had to search high and low to find enough to do their R&D and testing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, a little bit of a fool.

I was at least smart enough to get contact info, though.

It seemed a sad story.

The owner had learned to build rifles under the tutelage of a couple of guys name Abe and Van Horn, and had the Model 30s in expectation of using the actions to build big thumpers.

He thinks the big thumpers are on their way out.

I thought it sad, and also thought of jeffe.

Of course.

Anyway, the 30-06 with the Lyman 48 sold, but he still has the 30 Rem.

It's a Model 30S Deluxe with swivels and other goodies. A one piece original Redfield mount, and a vintage 3/4" scope.

He wants $375 for it.

If anyone's interested, PM me and I'll pass on contact info.

flaco

N.B. I was pleased to speak with the owner of these rifles. He had one custom rifle on the bench he'd built in the '70s, under the direction of Abe.

He offered me a custom called a "Gargantua"? (SP?), but I opined that I have flinch problems.

He then suggested the 7mm Rem BR.

I expect he knows what he's talking about.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Flaco, I'm interested. PM me or fla3006@yahoo.com

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So far, three requests for contact info-

All PMs returned.

I'll let you guys haggle it out.

I thought I'd add, though, that I got the impression that the Abe and Van Horn the owner mentioned were well known builders in their day, with rifles featured in the magazines.

I tried to direct him to AR, but he doesn't like the internet.

Can't argue with that, but I've certainly learned a lot here at AR.

flaco

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
30Rem ammo and brass is nearly collector item
territory....

I recently bought 1000 (thousand) unprimed new Remington brass cases. I paid $199 for the lot. Remington still makes runs of the brass, Old Western makes loaded ammo, as does a few others. Ammo is not a problem is you want it. If you think going to the store on a whim is what you need then no this is not the caliber for you nor is a lot of others.