THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Brockmans CZ 550 Laminate stocks. Good-Bad, look, feel, etc?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brockmans CZ 550 Laminate stocks. Good-Bad, look, feel, etc?
 Login/Join

<BMG>
posted
I am looking for a replacement stock for my CZ 550 that is in the process of becoming a .510/460 Wby Long and have struck out many places. Many makers dont/haven't made them and dont want to or the cost is way, way, too much. Also, I've heard the "we are not taking new orders at this time because we have a 10 month backlog, please check back later." Another problem is that I shoot left handed and almost all the stocks I see have a cheek rest on the left side.

I like laminate stocks and have one of my Garands in one from Boyds (SD) and it looks great. If someone has firsthand/secondhand knowlege of the laminate stocks from Brockmans, please let me know. Thanks.

BMG

one of us
posted Hide Post
My son just received the CZ550 working rifle in 416 Rigby from Jim and we're very pleased with Jim's work. The stock is a birch laminate, I think, and is well fit to the action and well designed for the heavy caliber. The finish on the stock is clear and has a "rough" feel to it that really helps you grip the rifle, especially in wet weather. We would recommend that you talk to Jim and see if he can accomodate you. Like most good gun makers, I'm sure he's busy but talk with him about a time frame. He has a picture of his CZ working rifle on his web site. I hope this helps.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hate to say it but mine came in last week and I was underimpressed. He had told me He had one that was great. Blond with fiddleback almost like curly maple. He later let me know it had a flaw and he had to make another. At that time I asked him was it pretty much estheticlly like the other one. Yes he said. But it had a different style. It really came back very plain greyish brown. Not much figure or stand out features at all. I like the plywood look on factory jobs better. Eye of the beholder may come into play. The finish is nice with sand or some other grit in it that feels good to the grip. Maybe he fugures a working rifle is supposed to look like a working rifle. Maybe if he hadn't talked up how nice it was going to look I might feel differently. Time frame may be an issue. Mine was promised in August,didn't come. promised in late September,didn't come. Promised by late Nov, didn't come. Promised before Christmas, didn't come. Came early this week. This seems typical, however, for many of the gunsmiths I have worked with. It handles very nice, weight, feel balance is good. It shoots well. D

[This message has been edited by D Hunter (edited 01-26-2002).]

[This message has been edited by D Hunter (edited 01-26-2002).]

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
<500 AHR>
posted
BMG,

Did you speak with Claude Gatewood? If you did what did he say? I know he has stocked big CZ 550s.

Todd E

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
BMG- For what its worth I'm a lefty also, but am very adept at working a right hand bolt. I took the basic CZ550 stock, put in a second crossbolt and inletted in a second recoil lug followed by steel-bedding the whole thing. My 500A2 barrel tappers from 1.2 at the breach to 1.0 inches at the muzzel and I was able to open the entire barrel channel to very closely fit these dimensions on the CZ stock. I mounted my scope very low with Warne QD rings and it shoots just fine! So far no cracks and most people who look at it(including a few who should know better) think its a custom stock by a "real famous gunsmith". You might consider saving yourself some bucks.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Jim Brockmans work is first class and I have seen a lot of his rifles...

I'm not sure what one can do to make a lamintated stock look good other than have a piece of xxxx grade English or Turkish lamintated and that too costly, I know I just made on and sold it, but I would not make another....

Laminate is to my eye uglier than Hillery Clinton, and is strictly for the working rifle, it works and thats the bottom line, but to compare one laminate to another is folley IMHO.....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41897 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah Ray I thought I was getting a nice decorative piece on the outside. Guess I thought wrong. I will use it as a working rifle for now and may make a nice piece of walnut for it someday. D

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DHunter,
Anyway you cut it, its nicer than plastic. I have a laminate stock on a working 416 Rem. and it fits me like a glove, I made it and followed English lines and added some niceties, but it's still laminated wood...

the only nice laminated stock I have ever seen was on the 9.3x64 that I built recently, and it was a piece of XXXXX Turkish wood that was plain on one side, so I had it laminated and put the plain in the middle and the pretty on the outside and it was simply beatifull and had the added benifit of being laminated ( I suppose )..I sold the gun recently to Mike Weaver in Durango, Colo. It was truly a beauty and you had to look hard to tell itwas laminated.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41897 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
You might consider A Acra-bond laminate from Mel Smart. They are not your average laminate. http://acrabondlaminates.com

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Hunting Max>
posted
Hi at all,

I have looked to the very interesting web pages of "Wenig" and "Acrabondlaminates". Because I am still looking for a stock for my .375 Weatherby Rifle I want to ask, who has experiences with stocks or blanks from this two companies??

Thganks in advance

------------------
Guns can save lives - maybe your�s.
Max

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have four Acrabond Laminate stock (Artistry in Wood, Mel Smart, 406-257-9003) and have been very pleased with them. The stock Ray Atkinson is talking about above, I believe was also done by Mel.

He is Kalispell, Montana. His stocks are extremely strong and can be made very beautiful with the right choice of woods.

Steve

------------------
Every man dies, but not every man really lives!!

Posts: 439 | Location: Kansas by way of Colorado and Montana | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote