New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stockmakers - Side panels
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Getting close to sending a blank to be duplicated, havent made my mind up if I'm going to do side panels or not. Am doing a 98 in 376 Styer. Have decided to use a piece of Black Walnut I got from Bill Soverns, not a bad piece of wood.

Not that I'm one to submit to peer presure, but whats the general take on stocks with side panels. Was thinking of doing a snab forend with panels. Seems like some like them some don't and I'm not sure either way. No doubt could have one turned with panels and if I didnt like them it could be changed.

also wondering if crossbolts and side panels go together, might be some conflict, but may just be my lack of experence with that type of stock.

Comments please

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've got one in progress in 257 Roberts 21" with schnabel tip. Far from done but, I like the looks of it so far.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ramrod, did you do side panels also, or just a schnable.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Billy,
side panels, other than looking neat, are for stock reinforcement.. look there they are positioned.

I would do pillars and bed the heck out of it... might even do a hidden wrist pin, but i do that part out of habbit...

besides, if you hate the panels, there's always the rasp!!
jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve always felt that a well proportioned and laid-out stock should flow naturally from forend to butt plate, or vis-a-versa. To me, panelled sides tend to break up that natural flow and make the stock appear to be two piece rather than one piece.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Billy, this from Customstox's web page. About as nice as they come. I really like the barrel wedge to complete the look of this style rifle.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Billy, Currently I'm doing both. If I mess it up it might be only the tip. LOL Or like Jeffe says if I change my mind panels can always come off.

Just building this one old school. Side panels, metal butt plate, grip cap etc. Don't have one and thought it would be different.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Harry,

I've looked at this stock on chics website several times, it's nice. I doubt I could get him to knock the side panels off it and let me see what it looks like Smiler

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
You're the computer guy. Use Photoshop! Big Grin

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Side panels are fine on a German style stock with a schable, out of place on anything else.
Among classic American stockers, Ludwig Wundhammer used them, I have one of his Krags, sorry I don't know how to photo it.

Tiggertate, the Customstox rifle you showed is OK but the little raised platform underneath the swivel base is a useless affectation.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
From what I've seen that is largely an American affectation at that. I agree that they serve little purpose but as ornamentation I sometimes like them. And yes, Krags are the only other rifle that I think look good with side panels.

one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vigillinus:

Tiggertate, the Customstox rifle you showed is OK but the little raised platform underneath the swivel base is a useless affectation.

Well, in all fairness......action side panels can certainly be similarly described. Both of those wood treatments are "dressing". However, the shape and workmanship of either treatment can be attractive......reguardless how unnecessary to strength or function.

Crisp nose-comb flutes, sharply defined ejection ports, flats around floorplates and tops of stocks, beaded cheek pieces, and ribbon and fleur checkering are all unnecessary and superfluous treatments. But properly done....they look damn nice.

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
quote:

So What? And FYI that rifle is a lot more than just OK. I have had it in my hands. Incredible work. If you dont have anything nice to say...dont say anything at all. shame

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
GAG pattern (Frieschutz Classic):

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest that looks real good.

After looking at Chics stocks on his site and your stock I think I'll go back to building race cars and jeeps Smiler

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not an expert on the subject, but from my experience sidepanels were usually seen on German stocks that were extremely trim and narrow. On most of these, the stock was hardly wider than the receiver ring, except through the sidepanels. Without them, I believe you could easily break the stock over your knee! I don't personally care for them, but to each his own.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill Soverns and Grandview, my eye for custom rifles was trained on the great makers of the first half of the 20th C, Owens, Griffin & Howe, Shelhamer, Rodgers, Wundhammer, Adolf, etc. The lines of their best work are simple and unadorned, without the fribbles and furbelows that many contemporary makers use to exhibit their virtuousity. I can certainly appreciate the superb workmanship involved in much current stuff but a lot of the time the tricky refinements - IMHO anyway - detract from the overall effect..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, My view is that side panels on the right rifle, (I won't say what that is), are fine.
To my eye, the one on Customstocks' is too shallow and the one on fla3006s' is to deep, sorry guys.
Some thing in between would ring my bell.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
quote:
.....my eye for custom rifles was trained on the great makers of the first half of the 20th C, Owens, Griffin & Howe, Shelhamer, Rodgers, Wundhammer, Adolf, etc. The lines of their best work are simple and unadorned, without the fribbles and furbelows that many contemporary makers use to exhibit their virtuousity.

Oh I certainly concur with your preference, vigillinus. In fact I mirror it. In that vein I think Michael Petrov's recent book is the most important compilation ever done on custom guns. I definitely look forward to his further publications on the subject.

GV

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Billy, I think side panels look really good. Love to see it when you get it done.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
taste is users preference..

new fangled is to one's point of view.. the early masterpieces (say, wheel lock) make the most engraved, gold inlayed, and pimped up gun look pedestrian...
I am just begining to like side panels, and understand why that they are there...

a light 7x57 could get away with the small ones on chic's stock.. and a 9.3x64 would need larger..

form follows function, at times, and then past that, personal taste, i think...

jeffe

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
From what I've seen that is largely an American affectation at that. I agree that they serve little purpose but as ornamentation I sometimes like them. And yes, Krags are the only other rifle that I think look good with side panels.

tiggertate,

I own two 1898 US Krags and I need to have someone explain to me how you could build a stock to fit these actions that would have enough wood to accommodate side panels. bewildered

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Speaking of action side panels........check out GAG's new offering for Springfields.

GV

GAG Wundhammer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Billy

Schnables, Yay thumb
Panels, Nay thumbdown
And that is all,
I have to say.

Elmo

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very good Elmo.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
quote:

tiggertate,

I own two 1898 US Krags and I need to have someone explain to me how you could build a stock to fit these actions that would have enough wood to accommodate side panels. bewildered

I guess they end up looking more like bosses on each end rather than full panels. A friend in South Texas has one treated that way. I'll try to remember to get a pic next time I see him.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
"Side panels" undt schnable. Ja?? Das ganz gut!!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess they end up looking more like bosses on each end rather than full panels. A friend in South Texas has one treated that way. I'll try to remember to get a pic next time I see him.

I would love to see it because I am having a real hard time trying to visualize what it would look like due to the small amount of wood fore and aft of the action cutout for the receiver. Any panels would have to literally be on the forearm area, at least on the right side of the stock.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Rick,
that is assuming the guy hasn't followed that old nra pub on reducing the mag/loading port.

jeffe

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Rick,
that is assuming the guy hasn't followed that old nra pub on reducing the mag/loading port.

jeffe

Jeffe,

I’m unfamiliar with that process...but obviously if guys have seen them they must exist. I’m just having a hard time figuring out what the hell it would like. Smiler I guess the pictures will answer that for me.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Rick, I'm at a loss to explain it accurately because I am recounting the gun by memory. A pic will do it when I get the chance.

Maybe it was all a dream....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rick, I'm at a loss to explain it accurately because I am recounting the gun by memory. A pic will do it when I get the chance.

Maybe it was all a dream....

Thanks, I would love to see it as I am a huge fan of Krag rifles in any configuration. Jeff Cooper had one with a fiberglass stock, of all things!

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
I am a huge fan of Krag rifles

Rick

Vigillinus is a very knowledgable Krag rifle collector. If anyone can answer a question on them He is the man.

One good authotity on early custom gunmakers refers to him as "The world's leading authority on custom Krag sporting rifles".

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idared:
I am a huge fan of Krag rifles

Rick

Vigillinus is a very knowledgable Krag rifle collector. If anyone can answer a question on them He is the man.

One good authotity on early custom gunmakers refers to him as "The world's leading authority on custom Krag sporting rifles".

Thanks,

Hopefully, he can post a picture or two. I love these old rifles and would love to see what some custom makers have done with them.