Find
Notify
Tools

Action for a .250 Savage?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I am interested in building a light-weight .250 Savage based rifle. I am looking for suggestions for a suitable action (besides the scarcer than hens teeth Mauser M98 Kurtz actions)?

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Remington Model 7.

One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Mod an XP-100 action. I believe they are lighter than the model 7 ?????

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remington 722, Mod 700 short.

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Another option is a 96 Mauser.
I did a .257 Roberts on a 96 and it is a slim trim nice little rifle and a .250 would be great in the same. All kinds of options available like cock on open, safeties and triggers abound.
Or go more conventional like a Win or Rem action as suggested. The XP 100 is a solid bottom single shot from what I remember though.
Or try a short action Remington/ Zastava action in the Mauser 98 style.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
mexican mauser, mini mauser, rem 7,

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about a Weatherby Varminter action - very light, quite different. --- John303.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Or a Yugo 24/47.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
or m48

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Mexican Mauser. There is a Type A Kurz 250 for sale in Victoria, $8500.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well,

You might look at a ----

Savage M-99

clap

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This rifle is built on a M38 Swede action. Weight as pictured is 7lbs. Chambering is 6.5x55, a barrel swap will get you to the .250. A good place to start, and I'm looking to sell it. If you might be interested, LMK

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Then there is the original Savage light weight bolt action 250-3000 The 1920, crappy bottom metal, stock prone to breaking and a bitch to mount a scope on. But has tang safety, stock can be reinforced and there are suitable ways to mount a scope. A Google of Savage 1920 will turn up several images and specs.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KIMBER M-84M would make a nice one.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Start wit a Savage or Stevens mod. 200 in .243. Get a barrel chambered to 250-3000 and deep throated with fast twist that fits the action. unscrew .243 barrel and spin on .250-3000 barrel and go do your thing. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
If you really want to do it right, find somebody competent, and have them shorten a Mauser Action to fit the cartridge. I will see if I can find a picture of the one Don Allen had done.

popcornNot saying one way is MORE RIGHT than the other but the Stevens as described will allow an OAL > 2.800" not the perscribed 2.515". That's a whole bunch and yields a cartridge of an entire different complextion with bullets up to 120 grains. You will also gain the pleasure out of the doing yourself. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Having owned and used a .250 Savage in the Savage Model 1920 bolt gun when living in Saskatchewan, I would not recommend one even to an enemy.

The best feature of the gun in my eyes is that the firing pin protrusion is VERY easily adjusted if you need to do that...and mine definitely needed it. Other than that, I would take a Remington Model 7 action over it every time, or even better a G-33/40 (lightened sort-of Mauser) action.

The Model 20 trigger is the pits; so is the bolt stop. Actually the trigger is lousy even if you work it over, because THE SEAR IS THE BOLT STOP!! It quickly becomes battered as you operate the bolt if you use the gun much. And the whole action will definitely need some smoothing of the operating internal parts if it is still original.

Oh, and the thing I liked least about it...if you DO happen to get a primer leak, it directs the hot gas and bits of brass directly into your face (and eyes if not wearing glasses)...been there; learned the hard way.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sako Forester action - lighter than the Mausers and about the same weight (40 oz.) as the Remington 722 but with more class.

Posts: 46 | Location: SE British Columbia | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AC,

I couldn't agree with your more. I tossed it into the ring since the OP wanted to know what suitable actions (suitable in this case being questionable). Their big draw to me is the safety, as a lefty that is a +. I have 3 still, 2 in 250 & a 300 and while they aren't Mausers or 50 year newer Rem 7s they were IMHO pretty good for the era. Fortunately for me, mine have relative decent triggers still.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Model 70 Winchester short actions are really nice. CDNN has the actions for 308 based cartridges. The last time I looked they still had them for $349. They are the FN Patrol rifle actions with box mags.

Posts: 2833 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I had a 1920 in .300 Savage. A joy to carry, but yes, the trigger was a mess.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Titanium action from these guys for a very light rifle?

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loud-n-boomer:
I am interested in building a light-weight .250 Savage based rifle. I am looking for suggestions for a suitable action (besides the scarcer than hens teeth Mauser M98 Kurtz actions)?

if I built one, Model 70 SA Featherweight...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
Having owned and used a .250 Savage in the Savage Model 1920 bolt gun when living in Saskatchewan, I would not recommend one even to an enemy.

The best feature of the gun in my eyes is that the firing pin protrusion is VERY easily adjusted if you need to do that...and mine definitely needed it. Other than that, I would take a Remington Model 7 action over it every time, or even better a G-33/40 (lightened sort-of Mauser) action.

The Model 20 trigger is the pits; so is the bolt stop. Actually the trigger is lousy even if you work it over, because THE SEAR IS THE BOLT STOP!! It quickly becomes battered as you operate the bolt if you use the gun much. And the whole action will definitely need some smoothing of the operating internal parts if it is still original.

Oh, and the thing I liked least about it...if you DO happen to get a primer leak, it directs the hot gas and bits of brass directly into your face (and eyes if not wearing glasses)...been there; learned the hard way.

Roll EyesA little preface here; of all the contributors to AR you fall into the category of few that I totally respect and heed. What you are saying about the Savage bolt design I agree with. shocker
Be it known ,however, that during the last 8 or so years. I've derived a lot of pleasure in playing with the Savages and Stevens even though they are what you say. fishing Perhaps I'm a little more simple than most. As a kid my toys were mostly hand-me-downs, yet I didn't know any better and I enjoyed them; well mostly.
Kinda like the avid collector who turns his nose up at a some what worn 1916 D dime. On the other hand the news boy who found it in his paper collection money thought he had found a treasure,and did . Nuff said and no offence taken beerroger

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would look for a Sako L579 used by Browning for their Safari 243 and 308 rifles. I made a Mannlicher on one in the mid 80's that was perfect for that size case and rifle

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
Roll EyesA little preface here; of all the contributors to AR you fall into the category of few that I totally respect and heed. What you are saying about the Savage bolt design I agree with. shocker
Be it known ,however, that during the last 8 or so years. I've derived a lot of pleasure in playing with the Savages and Stevens even though they are what you say. fishing Perhaps I'm a little more simple than most. As a kid my toys were mostly hand-me-downs, yet I didn't know any better and I enjoyed them; well mostly.
Kinda like the avid collector who turns his nose up at a some what worn 1916 D dime. On the other hand the news boy who found it in his paper collection money thought he had found a treasure,and did . Nuff said and no offence taken beerroger

Roger patriot First, let me tell you that there is no other contributor at AR who I respect more than you. You are a good, experienced, smart, practical, nice, and helpful guy, and one of 4 to 6 here I would trust with darned near anything I owned and whose advice I would absolutely take on your assurance it was so!

They ARE fun guns, very small, very light, and very handy to carry on walking, woods-loafer, type hunts. There I certainly agree with you.

But for a guy who may want to make a serious semi-custom which may end up costing him a bunch of his hard-earned bucks...especially if they are his only rifle in a particular chambering., I don't think they are really a preferable donor (or rifle).

If he can do much or most of the improvement work himself, and has something else as a primary rifle for that round, then fine. He'll have fun, and lots of opportunities to improvise and show his skills.

But, much fun as they are as a sort of advanced toy gun, I know that one of the reasons they didn't sell well and were discontinued is because of their serious flaws as a long term reliable, primary hunting rifle.

What with no internet or that kind of thing in those days, I wasn't able to read the comments from the day when they were new on the shelves until years after I got mine. Later I learned they got a lot of the same sort of review as mine above, clear back in the 1920s in outdoor magazines.

BTW, IIRC, they were one of the first post-war bolt action smokeless powder commercial sporters ever made In America by a long established manufacturing company, beginning in the year 1920. That alone is a good reason to own one each in both .250 and .300 Savage...just not as a primary core rifle for a particular cartridge like the .250 for frequent field use.

Best wishes, A.C.

wave

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote