Find
Notify
Tools

Madrona Stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of obwhan
posted
Has Any one made a Stock from Madrona well I did and it is hard stuff but it works well. I had to use a rasp and a lot of sand paper this wood just laughed at 100 grit and a belt sander. I am using my metal leathe to do the fore grip. seems to work great so far. The stock is for a Winchester model 12 that was special ordered in 1925 but they butchered a geart peice of walnut the cut off about 1/2" then glued and screwed it back on. I also found in the butt stock bolt hole a paper with what I think is the orginal onwner. He bought it through or C/O Seattle power and
light. I sent some Pic's to 333 OKH maybe I can get him to post for me.

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER: USNR (ADCS/AW/SW) I have wonderer at times what the TEN COMMAMDMENT'S would look like if Moses had run them through the US congress

Posts: 95 | Location: Whidbey Island Wa | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Pacific Madrone (Arbutus menziesii)

Well honestly this is my favorite wood and it grown locally but has little commercial value due to no real developed market. It makes fantasic floors and furniture as well as other products such has my knife handle below and the stock by obwhan that I passed on buying the blank [crap!].

Nice looking stock! If anyone has other pictures of this wood please post. it varies as much as walnut in color from blonde to pink and then all the way to deep mahogany.

P.S. the knife is my design, but made by an ABS Journeyman Smith named A. C. Richards(Chuck)out of Fotuna California. The knife has a 5 inch handle and a 9.5 inch blade starting at 3/16 inch thick at the guard and tapering to a needle point. The handle is stabilized burl madrone and the butt and guard are bronze not brass. Chuck reworked my desing and then won the California Cutting Competition...okay I will stop boasting now!

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Below is another stock made of madrone or madrona that was plain and straight but was selected for its strength in a 458 Lott. It sold on Guns America

From these pictures you see how much they can very. This stock was very plain wood even for madrone

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That turned out really nice. We have lots of Arbutus around here. Might have to find a nice chunk for fun.

Posts: 109 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I like madrone trees... "necked lady" tree in "east texas"...

nice to see stocks from it
jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of obwhan
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting the pic"s Dan. Obwhan

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER: USNR (ADCS/AW/SW) I have wonderer at times what the TEN COMMAMDMENT'S would look like if Moses had run them through the US congress

Posts: 95 | Location: Whidbey Island Wa | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote