New
Find
Notify
Tools

Substitute for AcraGlas
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Brownells has been out of AcraGlas for a while. I like to paint on a thin coat to seal buttstock and forend where they contact the action on a single shot. I have tried a 2-part, clear epoxy sold by J-B Weld but it doesn't harden & remains flexible. Any recommendations? I have found AcraGlas Gel to be absolutely unusable. I love Marine-Tex, but it's black.
Thanks,
Roger

Posts: 477 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Devcon 30 min set thinned with acetone for sealing. Mix with glass floc or wood dust for bedding. Wipe it on fiberglass cloth for reinforcing (like shotgun handguards). Minwax makes a great thin epoxy to reinforce rotted wood which I hear works well as a sealer. Another great thin sealer is CA glue. Get some cheap Super Glue and soak the grain. It dries rock hard. A cat couldn't scratch it!

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I use only AcraGlas Gel and it works for the application you describe, as well as usual glass bedding.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I use only AcraGlas Gel and it works for the application you describe, as well as usual glass bedding.

Thanks, Tom.
My problem with AcraGlas Gel is that the white, pasty component quickly goes bad in the container. It gets hard, develops lumps, and is a PITA to use. Also, it seems like Brownells changes the recipe for Gel frequently. Roger

Posts: 477 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put the resin in the microwave for a couple of seconds

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, do that. True, sometimes the white part does go grainy, but a few seconds in the microwave makes it normal consistency again. I have been using it for decades and have noticed no change in the formula. Microwave oven is your friend.
Oh, the white component should Never be pasty; it should be smooth and the same consistence as the gold part.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
marine-tex will take black dye - then wax it after sanding

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39707 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I simply use the same West System epoxy for bedding purposes that I use for general purposes in my shop. 20 years of that and everything I've used it on is holding up fine.

Posts: 332 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogersGunWorks:
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

Thanks, Tom.
My problem with AcraGlas Gel is that the white, pasty component quickly goes bad in the container. It gets hard, develops lumps, and is a PITA to use. Also, it seems like Brownells changes the recipe for Gel frequently. Roger

I use a heat gun to soften the white resin, it works great!

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use West System and epoxy from US Composites in Florida. I recall reading a post from Spearchucker a while back where he thought the epoxy from US Composites was the same a AcraGlas.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Marine Tex comes in Gray and Black, that's all I use, it doesn't show if applied with that in mind?? I don't use it on custom stocks btw, inletting and cross bolts seem to work, and I've been told end grain in the recoil lug is stronger than glass..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Marine Tex comes in Gray and Black, that's all I use, it doesn't show if applied with that in mind?? I don't use it on custom stocks btw, inletting and cross bolts seem to work, and I've been told end grain in the recoil lug is stronger than glass..

maybe end grain in the recoil is strong as stated, but what about the 100% contact wood (or glas bedding) to metal factor?

Posts: 1546 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For that application, go to Walmart and buy Gorilla Glue two part epoxy.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

gray (hard finish) and white (flexible) -

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39707 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Roger,
GunSavr gunstock finish in satin is clear & dries quite hard. That'll seal it right up. CB
quote:
Originally posted by RogersGunWorks:
Brownells has been out of AcraGlas for a while. I like to paint on a thin coat to seal buttstock and forend where they contact the action on a single shot. I have tried a 2-part, clear epoxy sold by J-B Weld but it doesn't harden & remains flexible. Any recommendations? I have found AcraGlas Gel to be absolutely unusable. I love Marine-Tex, but it's black.
Thanks,
Roger

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Due to low conversion rates and shipping $USD / $AUD I make my own brew. I find any epoxy will do the job. I use little graduated medicine cups for mixing.
to 7.5 Ml of mixed epoxy I add 1 heaped teaspoon of Carbosil and make up a stirrer from a bent piece of wire, it takes quite a bit to mix it in properly, I then tint as required and if needed add stainless steel powder. Sets up like the Rock of Gibralta. Caution is needed with the carbosil, it is similar to powdered silica and can cause asbestos like illness read Cancer. It is so light it will float in any breeze, once mixed it is harmless
I believe the West people sell the carbosil
best Vaughn Gunthorpe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vaughn Gunthorpe:
Due to low conversion rates and shipping $USD / $AUD I make my own brew. I find any epoxy will do the job. I use little graduated medicine cups for mixing.
to 7.5 Ml of mixed epoxy I add 1 heaped teaspoon of Carbosil and make up a stirrer from a bent piece of wire, it takes quite a bit to mix it in properly, I then tint as required and if needed add stainless steel powder. Sets up like the Rock of Gibralta. Caution is needed with the carbosil, it is similar to powdered silica and can cause asbestos like illness read Cancer. It is so light it will float in any breeze, once mixed it is harmless
I believe the West people sell the carbosil
best Vaughn Gunthorpe

This stuff: https://www.aeb-group.com/en/carbosil-15533
Presumably not?

Posts: 504 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used thin c a glue, no problems. to seal wood.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.