Find
Notify
Tools

Husqavarna Mauser 96 9.3x62
 Login/Join

<bigdog>
posted
Hi everyone,

Looking for some input on a Muaser M96, Good Bad or Ugly? I have found one in 9.3x62 & 9.3x57. All bores look good and rifles are sporterized.

I can pick them up for $300-350.00.

What's your opinion?

<Jordan>
posted
Are you sure it is a 96? Husqvarna chambered their commercial mauser in that caliber, but I think they are quite rare, but I have never heard of anyone chambering a 96 in that chambering because I don't think the 96 is strong enough to take it. I am not sure that any knowledgeable 'smith would chamber a 96 for that cartridge?

My .02 worth.

Jordan

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Col. Gus Planchon (Tuscon) had some at the Tulsa show. I forget what he was asking for his.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Husqvarna routinely used a commercial version of the 96 Mauser for sporting rifles in the 30's and 40's. The 9.3 x 62 was a rather common offering. Overall they are a pretty good rifle. IMHO the cock on closing and slow lock time makes the 96 versions not as good as the later 98 Mauser versions.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This a very good site about Husqvarna rifles:

http://hem.bredband.net/b102212/hvastory.html

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jordan:
Are you sure it is a 96? Husqvarna chambered their commercial mauser in that caliber, but I think they are quite rare, but I have never heard of anyone chambering a 96 in that chambering because I don't think the 96 is strong enough to take it. I am not sure that any knowledgeable 'smith would chamber a 96 for that cartridge?

My .02 worth.

Jordan

Yes,

Husqvarna did chamber the 9,3x62 in M96 actions. I don�t think there will be any danger with properly loaded ammo. The factory nitroproofed them with a 30% overload, compared to standard ammo.

Best regards,

Fritz

------------------
...the mark of the hunter is the ability to get close.

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
<bigdog>
posted
Thanks guys for the imput.

I like the looks of the rifle but was not sure about a M96 in 9.3x62. This will be a working rifle for elk hunting. I am going to look at the rifle tomarrow and check it more closely.

I really would like to add a 9.3 to my gun safe just not sure about the M96 with normal hand loads.

Wachtel, the sight was very informative, but it says nothing about the M96 only 46 are they the same? I know these are commercial actions.

Thanks

BD

<Kimmo E>
posted
Yes the model 46 and m96 has the same actions.