New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-30 A.I. safe in 94 Win.
 Login/Join

<jd_1>
posted
Hey guys, anyone know if this would be a safe modification? Also would the 40 degree shoulder affect proper feeding. Would my best bet be to trade it for a marlin? Thanks...JD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Marlin 336 rechambered to the 30-30 A I. Bought it and the dies for a song because the primers were flowing back into the firing pin hole even with light loads.

The firing pin had to be bushed. After I did that I've had no trouble.

Feeds good, accuracy is about 1.5 inch groups at 100 yds with a Lyman aperture rear sight. I'm getting 2450 fps with Rem 170 gr core lokt bullets and 2650 fps with 150 gr Sierras.

Brass life is good. Case necks are a little thin and weak for crimping so I use a Lee factory crimp die.

I have no experience with the Win 94 and Ackley Imp chambers.

Good Luck
Craftsman

Posts: 1536 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is probably safer than the standard 30-30 inasmuch as without the sloping case you get less set back....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41907 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have chambered 94s in 30/30 improved and they are fine. Of course pressures in a cartridge like this are what you make them.
By the way, and this may seem heretical, I don't believe Ackley's contention that the straight walled case reduces bolt thrust. Any one who has shot a 94 with a little headspace knows that evidence of this headspace shows up in the form of protruding primers. Now the primer wouldn't back out if the case was not adhering to the chamber walls. If the case will stick to the chamber at low pressures then it will certainly stick at higher pressures. If one looks at the 303 British it has plenty of taper yet a hot load in the somewhat stretchy lee Enfield rifle will stretch the brass to the point of separation. Now if the forward portion of the case was not gripping the chamber walls the case wouldn't stretch. So I think this is just one of those theories that makes some sense at first thought but doesn't really stand up. None the less the 30/30 Imp. is a neat looking case that really does perform quite well. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3546 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote