Find
Notify
Tools

300RUM to 404Jeffrey
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of steve_robinson
posted
I've got a 300 RUM SenderoSF and was wondering if it would be a good candidate for conversion to a 404 Jeffery. Anyone have thoughts on this, good or bad?
Steve

Steve(NOT Shakari)Robinson
NRA Life Member
SCI Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 226 | Location: Arlington, WA | Registered: 26 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
It should be an easy conversion. I converted a push feed Model 70 in .300 WinMag to .404 Jeffrey. The problem I had was feeding and that's been solved. I didn't even have to open the bolt face. The only problem I could forsee with your conversion is slight feeding problems but, that might not be at all. I know several of the board members have converted the .375 RUM to .404 without any problems. By the way, inexpensive .404 cases can be made by running .375 RUM brass in a .404 die and fireforming. Just be sure that you have good firm contact from the shoulder. Adjust your dies progressively down until you can just chamber a case. My CH-4D dies ($156 vis $250+ for Redding and RCBS)will set the shoulder too far back if you merley run the die down to the shellholder.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steve_robinson
posted Hide Post
Masterifleman, thanks for the info, it was just a thought. I think I'll leave it stock. A crf action would be preferred tho.

Steve(NOT Shakari)Robinson
NRA Life Member
SCI Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 226 | Location: Arlington, WA | Registered: 26 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
One of the AR members in my neck of the woods had a M70 RUM converted to .404 Jeff a few years back. Works well and he took it to Moz to hunt buff.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
correct me if I am wrong but is'nt the .300 RUM case derived from the .404 Jeffrey

Posts: 52 | Location: TEXAS yall' | Registered: 07 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Drop JudgeG a note. He had the same thing done to a Model 70 (much better choice) and it worked pretty well. He killed an elephant with it and it performed flawlessly. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
eazy project

quote:
Originally posted by flynbrian:
correct me if I am wrong but is'nt the .300 RUM case derived from the .404 Jeffrey

not TECHNECALLY.. the rum is .550 base, and the 404 is .545 . you CAN make 404 cases from rum cases, as the rum cases tend to be a couple thou short of spec

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39669 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote