New
Find
Notify
Tools

Phenolitic Resin Stocks
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Earlier I spoke with a gentleman who had learned with Fred Wells and was selling a 510 Wells. It had a stock which was "filled with a phenolitic
resin for strength and to add weight. Anyone have experience with these?
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Phenolitic or phenolic resin is a generic term that can cover a lot of ground. Micarta and Bakelite are examples of phenolic resins. In fact, I think that AcraGlas is a phenolic resin. It probably is the smiths fancy way of telling you the stock has been bedded.

Posts: 1243 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
technically, a wood/resin stock is a phenolitic... so yeah, it could be done,
but it would be VERY heavy

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes I think both were achieved with the resin. The rifle was over 12 lbs empty. It appearred to have been impregnated with the resin not simply bedded. From what I have read about the .510 it needs all the help available from recoil.
I was actually curious as to how the process was done and where it might be done.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phenol is used in all kinds of products from plywood and epoxies all the way to antiseptics, and can also be quite toxic and carcinogenic at certain levels. It’s a derivative of good old banna oil...BENZINE.

I would take appropriate breathing precautions if you plan on cutting or sanding on such a stock. It can also be extremely irritating to the skin.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rick. I doubt I would do anything with this one. It was complete except for checkering which Charlie said he would do it once I chose a pattern.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Martinez:
Earlier I spoke with a gentleman who had learned with Fred Wells and was selling a 510 Wells. It had a stock which was "filled with a phenolitic
resin for strength and to add weight. Anyone have experience with these?
Frank

http://www.stabilizedwood.com/info.shtml

Have only seen one picture with a rifle in rather plain black walnut done with a phenolic
resin impregnated stock.

I don't think the idea panned out due to stock
weights. BIG magnums are best? The wood,
after processed is rather inlexible and will
take in moisture via capillary action.

Perhaps it's not a good idea at all?!

Another school of thought is that some stockmakers use heated acraglass put on a
warmed stock and allowed to "soak in" for a while them wiped off. This is their method of sealing against moisture before putting on a regular oil based finish. The theory is that oil won't properly seal against moisture, but the epoxy will.

This theory has something to do with little vapor holes made by the oil's carrier while drying, whereas epoxy cures by chemical action with no vapor holes?

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Thanks Don. This is just what I was looking for.
Frank