THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Need help identifying a Husqvarna rifle, and some questions

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help identifying a Husqvarna rifle, and some questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I found a Husqvarna rifle in 7mm Remington Magnum at the gun shop yesterday. It has a 24" barrel, hooded front sight, open rear sight with elevator and has a roll mark on the top of the barrel reading "Husqvarna Vaffenfabrik 7mm Remington Magnum." Just ahead of the breach on the left side is stamped the serial number and "Nitro." There is no thumbcut, and the bolt looks to be a standard Mauser 98 pattern; trigger has sliding side safety.

The stock is a monte carlo pattern with the letters "r" and "s" stamped on either side of the action on the left and right sides, respectively. It appears to be made from beech or a similar "hard wood," I don't think it is walnut.

The scope rings are a design I haven't seen before, they consist of two rings, the bottom of which has a single stud which appear to be fitted into the scope mounting holes tapped on the bridges; the Husqvarna crown crest is visible on the front bridge with the rings installed.

The bottom metal is alloy, and is much wider and more rounded at the front screw than standard Mauser 98 bottom metal.

What kind of Husqvarna is this? I've seen the 1600 series in 30-06 and 6.5x66 and 7x57 but never in a belted magnum. Will the gun take standard Mauser replacement triggers and safeties? I'd like to replace the factory trigger with a Timney and the safety with an FN wing model if I buy the gun.

Posts: 709 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
99% sure that it is a 1600 series! I don´t know exactly what belted magnums they was made in but at least 308 Norma Magnum and 358 Norma Magnum besides your 7 mm RM.

It will take a m-98 trigger but the safety is hard to get to cooperate with the Husqvarna original safety.........

It should not be a big job to install a m-98 shroud if that is what you plan to do.

TC 1 have made a nice looking rifle out of a 1600! Have a look here: https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/897102188

The bitter taste of poor quality stays in the mouth far longer than the sweet taste of the low price!

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bushnell used to make a stud mounted set of rings. No different bases needed for different rifles, just a pqair of studs that screwed into scope mounting holes. The rings then clamped to the studs. There was a provision for adjusting height.

Bruce

Posts: 217 | Location: SW WA | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote