New
Find
Notify
Tools

Husquvarna Vapenfabriks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am curious about the value of this action for a project. the add states that it is an improved version of the 98 mauser action. The rifle is chambered in .270 Win. and looks servicable with no pits, some blueing loss and other handling marks. I have only seen pictures. Is this a good action for a 257 Bob or 7 x 57? would it be better left in the -06 family? Thanks DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its good for all those calibers. Im guessing its a 1600

Whats the serial number?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't see a model or serial number. All I can see in the pictures is the caliber and "Imperial" on the barrel.It has a different safety, that is not on the bolt its down on the side above the trigger. The bolt stop and ejector housing also looks different. Its to late here to call the owner. I'll have to wait until in the morning.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Appears to be a 1600 series Husqvarna. It´s a small ring model with the ejector set up like the Win M-70 with Mauser eject, a slot cut under the lug instead of tru it. Another thing to remember is that the extractor doesn´t pull harder into the case-rim if the extraction gets hard. It can pop over the rim just like a m-96 does. There was both aluminium and steel floorplates on the 1600, most had aluminium. The trigger is a Husqvarna design and there is few aftermarket triggers that fits if the safety should be used.

The bitter taste of poor quality stays in the mouth far longer than the sweet taste of the low price!

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I'm in the last phases of a of having a a 1640 built now. I used a Timney M98 trigger and Dakota M98 safety on it. I lucked up and found a donor with steel bottom metal. I would suggest you look for one with it. The aluminum bottom metal looks a little strange and after market metal is hard to find and very expensive these day's.

As far as the value of the action goes, I paid $325 for the donor. The seller was very honest and forwarned me the barrel was shot out. I pulled the barrel (worthless) and then sold the stock on Ebay for $80 leaving with a grand total of $245 in the action. I'm not sure if that is any kind of benchmark as I've only purchased one. I wouldn't worry about it too much either way. If you spend a little too much on the action or if you get the deal of a lifetime it's really unimportant. By the time you buy all the parts and pay for all the work it's a very small part of the equation.

Here's mine. A little more work has been done since the picture was taken. As soon as Bill Soverens checkers it I'm calling it finished.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That´s a nice looking rifle TC1! Post more pics. if you have any!

A nice thing to do if you make a new stock on a HVA 1600 is to skip the bolt release tab. It´s tricky to operate and doesn´t look that good in my opinion. You can operate the bolt-stop/ejector inside the action with your little-finger or a stick or similar.

The 1600 actions are lightweight and often very smooth to operate.

The bitter taste of poor quality stays in the mouth far longer than the sweet taste of the low price!

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone, I think I am going to hold out for a commercial 98. There were a couple of Western Field and JC Pennys that popped up on the same site last fall. DW

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stefan:
That´s a nice looking rifle TC1! Post more pics. if you have any!

A nice thing to do if you make a new stock on a HVA 1600 is to skip the bolt release tab. It´s tricky to operate and doesn´t look that good in my opinion. You can operate the bolt-stop/ejector inside the action with your little-finger or a stick or similar.

The 1600 actions are lightweight and often very smooth to operate.

Hey Stefan, here is one from the other side. BTW, I took your advice about the bolt release. You told me about it a year or so ago. Thanks for the tip. It looks a lot better this way.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good looking rifle Terry! I had forgot about telling you about the boltstop Big Grin

A American built rifle with a Swedish action and English style stock thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks more like a Brno M21 stock to me. Either way, very nicely done.