THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Intergral Barrel sling fixture on Custom 98 .
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
On a high end walnut M98 with a plain barrel( no sights) would having an integral sling fixture look strange, I dont mean a band, but just a small integral section that would be on the underside of a No:1 profile 25"tube. I dont see the need for sights on a 7x57 or 270win, and want the rig as slim and trim as possible. Tell me what you think.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
bewildered

HUH??
A high mauser would have sights... and if you look at some of the 80s/90s m70, you'll see just how ugly that little protubrence would be.

you do understand that this is probably a 500 "option" right? and anyone with ANY sense would have either a band or a screwed in "nub" ..

still waiting for the shortened mauser order..

of highest quality, of course

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I want a barrel mounted sling swivel on my 98 also. would you show pictures/explain/tell where-to-find the screw/nub. thanks capt david troll

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Woodjack thats a good question.

troll

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
My 7x57 built for me by Clayton Nelson has just such a swivel base. It's not a plain barrel as it has a very neat front ramp machined on that the sight blade retracts into and the rear folding leaf is on a very neat matching pedestal. Very nice setup. All in all a very nice package. It's on a 1909 action with custom bases for Talley rings. One of my all time favorite rifles.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodjack,
If you are talking about some kind of sling swivel attachement at the bottom of the barrel they are common. Integral in regards to metalwork generally means that it is made as part of the barrel. You start with a large diameter blank and turn it down so the item is integral with the blank. It would cost you an arm and a leg to get one done. The following one started as a band and I cut the top off of it and made it a semi band so the top was open.

I could post a close up and post it here if you like.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The small under lug swivel base used to be in the brownells catalog
I agree with Chic- a well fitted band "slimmed" down will serve your project well.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Chic-----

Nice work!

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yea , Chics swivel looks good with no sights, like the cut in half idea.
Heck, Old sxs shotguns have sling swivels like that with no rifle sights and the look good. Why not a plain barrel stalking rifle.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captdavid:
I want a barrel mounted sling swivel on my 98 also. would you show pictures/explain/tell where-to-find the screw/nub. thanks capt david troll

sure enough.. assuming you can put 2 threads into your barrel.. walk into wallyworld/kmart/big5 and buy yourself a set of uncle mike's swivel studs, IIRC the browning one has a machine screw in it... DnT your barrel, cut the machine screw swivel down, and then fit the swivel to the barrel contour (this is a hand filing job)

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've seen a few Rifles by Steve Heilmann with the treatment that Woodjack is talking about. In his brochure (which is drool material) He has a few photos of this as well. I like the way it looks.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Intergral Barrel sling fixture on Custom 98

Woodjack:
If you send me a PM with your e-mail address I will send you several jpegs of a barrel sling stud that I made. I can also send a computer file with a picture of the Burgess/Echols p-17 discussed on this forum a few years ago. That had a very similar swivel mount, positioned differently (further forward on the barrel).

In answer to your question; yes, with a short forearm a barrel mounted sling works just fine. It can be light, trim and brazed or even silver soldered on and will hold quite nicely. The pics I have are of a rifle carried every season for 15 years.

My wife has a new digital camera, but I don't have a place to host picutres yet. The best I can do is send you jpegs.

Roger

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote