New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Remington 721 in 300 Savage and I use RCBS dies for reloading. I've checked the die to make sure it is set properly and I've checked the OAL of the cartridge. Sometimes these slip right in and will reject. Other times the bolt closes very hard and I have trouble opening the bolt and no reject. I have a factory round that works fine most of the time then the bolt doesn't want to close and it won't reject. What is going on?

Posts: 48 | Location: Western Wa. | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It almost sounds to me like you are using cases that have been shot in different guns that have varying chamber sizes. Even after sizing sometimes the case will spring back a bit and some will be fatter than others. At least that has been my experience.

one of us
posted Hide Post
More than likely your headspace is to blame. Often happens with older dies and shellholders. Chuck the shellholder in a drill press and remove 0.002 at a time (from the face that bears against the die. Also wrap a patch on a brush and clean the chamber. Also it's important to fully lube the cases, some of the older brass may not size the same. Take a case that's not fitting,lube well try it again. Sure you don't have a 722. I had pretty much the same problem with my Roberts. Took .003" off the shellholder and problem was solved.

Posts: 237 | Location: Montana | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also check that the ejector plunger is operating. Sometimes a little shaved brass can sieze them up causing ejection problems

Posts: 237 | Location: Montana | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I should have said this is a Remington 722 not 721 and I reloaded for it about 25 years ago and it worked fine but I haven't shot it since then.

Posts: 48 | Location: Western Wa. | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckF:
I have a factory round that works fine most of the time then the bolt doesn't want to close and it won't reject.

that right their tells me it's not a problem with your reloads/ammo.
Detail strip thr rifle, clean and lube properly and try again. I'm thinking gunk/dried grease in the action is the cause of your problem.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
two words
action blaster

be sure to wear gloves and goggles, as it's "hot" when it's on your skin.

as other guys have said, your ejector plunger is probably dirty as all get out.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote