Find
Notify
Tools

358 Win to 350 Rem mag
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted
How much would I have to open the feed rails to accommodate the 350 mag? Is it worth the effort? It actually works well as a 358, but I am board and curious. Lou

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
What kind of rifle is it?

I love the 358 and am looking to build another one - I'd leave it, especially if it works well. If you're bored (I know the feeling), score a used action and start a new project. JMO...

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I forgot that little detail. It's a Sako AII action. I know I will have to open the bolt face and the feed rails, but I am not sure if it's worth the risk. If it can be done as a matter of routine, then I may consider it. Nothing wrong with the 358 it's one of my favorite rounds. I am always looking to screw with something, just because. Lou

<eldeguello>
posted
I would not think the slight increase in MV you get would be worth the effort. But if it will relieve your boredom, why not? I'm sure that SAKO action can be made to feed the .350 R. mag. pretty well. You COULD get a couple of .350 rounds and try feeding them from the magazine to see how much metal needs to be removed from the action rails.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Lou,
man, as a 358 lover, let me give you my STRONG advice.
1: the MOST you will pick up is 250 fps
2: it should cost you 200-300 bucks to have it done, the high end is if he has to reblue and/or buy the reamer
3: while not scarce, 350 rem isn't all over the place
4: ODDS ON, it will not feed as well as it does right now.

Now, if you found another one to make a matched pair out of...

jeffe

Posts: 39660 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How heavy is the Sako now and in particular the barrel? When I think of the 358 Win it's with light barrels and the rifles carry so well.

A friend had a couple of custom 358 Wins for sale. Both of them had heavy barrels. They seemed out of context for me.

To think about it his rifles would be more interesting in a more powerful cartridge as the weight would be an advantage.

In general if it is not broken then don't fix it.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr. Lou: I would suggest building a .35-284 Wildcat as an alternative. You wouldn't have to alter the bolt face, the beltless case would require just a little milling of the feed rails, and the ballistic performance would be virtually identical since the two cases are within a grain or so of the same capacity. I know that the .284 case will work in the L579 because Browning used to build a .284 Safari on that action (I had one until a collector offered me more money than it was worth.)

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not convert a Sako to the 350. Even with 284 based cartridges the removal of metal at the bottom of the locking lug raceways can cause problems. This is not speculation, I've seen it often even on factory built rifles in 284. Also, the small diameter bolt of the Sako short action would not lend itself well to opening to the magnum boltface. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3767 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the advice. It will stay a 358 Winnie. I will find something else to do. Lou

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
As a 35 fan, I'd say get a 358 STA built If you really want a faster 35, then go fast.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Paul, my next magnum will either be a 358 Norma or the STA.