THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you stock gurus think of this blank?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm hoping that this work, the image part of it that is.

What do you think of the top one in these pics in terms of layout?

It is graded as a #1 claro, which it may be, but the grain at the wrist bothers me a bit. I am not an expert, and have asked for a pic of the other side, but would be very interested to hear if anyone has any thoughts on this one.

Thanks!

Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
okay that didn't work.

any tips on how to post pictures?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You need to upload the photo on a photo site like http://www.hunt101.com and then you can link the photo here. The site is free.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
How about a link? They're easy!

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, how about this link:

http://www.hunt101.com/img/331748.jpg

I hope it works. Please be brutally honest in your opinon.

This is being described as a #1 Claro, would you agree with that, more or less?

I'm getting pics of the other side too.

Thanks!

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

My first impressions is the butt is too big. Either is hasn't been cut for lop or the comb is too high for my taste. I'd recommend you get some detailed photos of the inletting. That's where you'll spend most of your time.

FWIW, I like the lines of this stock, maybe it can be a good price comparison for you.

Semi-inlet claro

Best regards,

Dan

Posts: 179 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Here it is:

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd say if you like it take it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and until someone else starts to buy stuff for you then it should be purely your choice. I like the looks of both as they seem unique to me.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your correct the grain flow is such that it is begging to come in half at the grip....It's not a stock that I would look at twice.

What you want is the grain flow beginning at the toe of the stock and flowing UP through the grip and straight down the forend, if the grain flows up a tad in the forend thats OK...The fiddle back is good if you like it,and I do..

When you get a simi finished stock the one thing you want is lots more wood than you need..you can take wood off but you cannot put it back....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
blackbart, #1 is utility grade, not the high end stuff. It fits the bill. How much are they asking for it? Don't worry about the outside dimensions or even the inside. In a 95% inlet, they have removed 95% of the easy wood, all of the hard stuff is still there. You can reshape this anyway you want. It is better to have it oversize than undersize. You can't put the wood back where it is gone.

Chic Worthing

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm no expert, just trying to learn as I go.

I have to ask what the gun will be chambered for. If it's a light recoiling cartridge then you should be OK but if it's going to have any significant recoil that wrist grain bother's me too.

Rob

Posts: 1691 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The wrist can be reinforced inside.
Is it worth the effort & cost ??
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the feedback guys!

DanM - I like the overall shape of this stock actually, though haven;t handled it. It is over 14 inches in LOP as it sits so I think that may be why it looks a tad butt-heavy.

Ray - thanks for the comments, you've confirmed my fears on this one. I've still got a learn wit this wood stuff, but I was pretty sure that this one was not going to be a good choice.

Customstox - The fellow is asking $160 for this, which I didn't think was too bad definitely not a steal though. Though I have done a lot of stock work with synthetics over the years, I've not played around with wood stocks much, so didn't want to spend too much on this in the event that I make a mess of it. Seeing you work, and that of all the other around here has really given me a bug to try this out.

By the way, the rifle this will go in is a p-64 Model 70 FWT in 30-06 that has some stock issues. The bbld action is very nice and she shoots, so I wanted to put it in a nice classically shaped piece of walnut.

This fellow has a few inlets that are quite dry and come from Chico Ca area, so that piqued my interest quite a bit as I know (okay have read) that this is one of the better areas in the US for walnut. He seemed like a real nice, honest guy, but was trying to convince me that this one would make a real good soild stock. Now I don't know. Am supposed to get some pics of an English inlet he has for $300, and will definitely post pics for you guys to take a peek at.

By the way, I was visiting the Biesen site the other day and noticing that they now offer inleted blank at pretty reasonable prices. I'm pretty sure that these guys are reputable Smiler. Maybe I should just give them a call

Thanks again!

Bob

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
My thoughts...

you said it's for a 30-06.. the grain looks fine for that.. put a pin down the wrist.. ..

I think it'll finish up a handsome stock.. not a HIGH end stock, but you aren't paying that...

160? that's probably at the high-end of the price range for that stock.. but not hugely high end.

fwiw, i think the other side of that stock will show grain flowing through the grip, as the "overall" grain goes tip to butt....

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39691 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blackbart2,
Just from the photo that I see, the price is out of line. It is difficult to see the actual grain flow through the wrist. The darker lines are called water marks and often follow the grain flow. A close up view would be necessary to tell. If they follow the sweep you see behind the wrist it would be excellent. The contour of the stock at wrist can make the grain look like that if it is not cut quarter sawn so the growth rings planes are perpendicular to the side of the stock. It will still be a strong stock, just hard to tell from that photo.

Chic Worthing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
okay, here is the english on the top and a bastogne

Again, I'v easke to get some pics of the other side. The engish looks nice, but that "patch" on the forend doesn't look so hot, does it. He wants $300 for the english and $200 for the bastogne.

Thoughts? Is this close to the right ballpark in terms of value?

Thanks!!

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I think you have them "upsaid down".. looks like english on the bottom from this pic..

remember you've got a turned stock for these prices... but i STILL think he is at the top end ..

from THESE pics (considering $150 for the turning) that looks like a $50-75 blank, and the english (while straight as a string) is about a $100-150...

Ask him for pictures BEFORE the blank are turned.. and you need pictures of BOTH sides...

why both sides? take the pic above.. if I had gotten the stock on the bottom (it will be a nice stock) and turned it over and it only had figure on the forend (like the one on top) I would not be please.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39691 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Correction on my part. As Jeffe said, you get a turned blank, for some reason I was not thinking of that when I made my assessment of the Claro blank. I am not very partial to Claro at any price but I would agree with Jeffe on his original value of the Claro blank.

It does look like the two blanks are switched, although the upper one does not look like bastogne to me ( also looks like English). I have seen Bastogne that looked like English but it is rare. It was marblecake and even some feathered crotch, cut by the Jimmersons from Chico who know their trees. Jeffe, is the going price for a 95% inlet $150? I am out of the loop on that.

Chic Worthing

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I have been in contact with 3 places over the last couple of months. From my talks to them I would call $150 on the high side. The quote from all three was $100 and I would call two of their work more than 95%.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Well the fellow insists that the top is English and the bottom Bastogne. I dunno, but I think I will be passing on this gents stuff. Just not getting a good feel with all of this. Hard to get pictures and details from him.

Regarding the price of turning stocks, the more reputable places I have contacted are getting 100-150 with 150 being the very high end. ON biesen's web site for instance, I believe the quote $125 for a 98% inlet. I don't know how they quantify that last 3%, but as Chic put it, I can defintely imagine that the last 5% is the hardest.

Thanks for the comments, it has been extremely informative and helpful.

Bob