THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plastic bearing material (need advise)...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This is not firearm related, but I figure this is where the experts hang out, so I am asking. I need some bushings made for a vintage jeep clutch linkage. Bascially, I have a torque tube. A metal stud goes into each end of the torque tube and the torque tube pivots on the studs. I want to put some plastic bushings inside the ends of the torque tube so the metal studs ride in the plastic bushings. (I'll have to machine a new, larger diameter torque tube.)

I was thinking Delrin AF (which has a teflon fibers impregnated into the Delrin). Is this the right choice or should I make the bushings out of something else?

Thanks,

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Delrin AD is an excellent bearing material if the loads are low. I take it your tube will pivot on large ball studs to allow it to move with the engine torque. UHMWPE or Nylon 6/6 is probably better for the impact loads and harsh environment.
The ultra high molecular weigh polyethylene is used for the bearing surfaces for human replacement knee and hip joints. Very tough and very inert.
I would probably use the nylon 6/6 since it is easier to find.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
try mcmaster.com

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentlemen. I appreciate the expertise.

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I Second Delrin AD, UHMWPE and Nylon 6/6
All good choices. Nylon being my choice with delrin being number two

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I Junked that whole old jeep brake/clutch system off my '69 and but a '73 or later set up on it. Same with the steering

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, Acetal, Nylon, or UHMWPE. You can get any of it in bar stock form from plastic supply houses like Cadillac Plastics.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 831 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
If this os a parade type of vehicle that only sees occasional, sunny use I suspect anything would work just fine. Personally, for this application I'd lean towards something like a sintered bronze bushing. My concern with a plastic bushing is you are going to be vulnerable to abrasion induced wear eventually. If you are bombing around in the sand with this you might only get one season of use, but as I said if this is a parade vehicle it would probably outlive you so just have that as something else to think about.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
Jordan,
Call Cope plastics Inc, http://www.copeplastics.com/docs/locations.htm
They will be able to tell you exactly what you need. I order from them and they are extremely helpful.

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Double rifles make Africa safe enough for bolt guns!

Posts: 495 | Location: Gillette,Wyoming | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jordan call me I have some Delrin you can have. but i think what you need is Nylatron it is one of the most waer resistint plastics and I can give you some of it also #260-782-0735 ask for eric

Posts: 67 | Location: Possum Hollow, IN | Registered: 09 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat VESPEL. Might be a little over the top though.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1852 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i would stick with uhmw or delrin.
i spent about 10 years in a plastics machine shop and uhmw would be my first choice.
uhmw is easy to machine as long as you pull the shaving.
delrin is easy to machine too and holds size better than just about any other plastic.
i wouldn't use nylatron because it will absorb moisture.

Posts: 107 | Location: alvin texas | Registered: 09 June 2008Reply With Quote