Find
Notify
Tools

The "Bounce Test"
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted
I have read alot about bouncing the butt of your rifle on a carpeted floor with the safety off after adjusting the trigger. Most agree this is a good test, but then the disagreement comes to play. Should the rifle not fire at all, or, if the trigger is 4# or so, it will fire no matter what?

How do you bounce test your rifles and what do you expect/demand as far as whether or not they fire?

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3103 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
It should not fire at all, no matter how hard you bounce it. If the inertia in a trigger that weighs an ounce or so is enough to cause a discharge when you bounce the butt off of the floor, no matter how hard the bounce, the trigger is improperly adjusted.

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 309 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I DO bounce mine. If the hammer drops I go back to work. Remember though I'm not a gunsmith. I also put on the safety and pull the trigger to see if the safety still works. I then take off the safety and it better not drop the hammer. And I repeat these tests several times.

I set all my triggers to 2.5 - 2.75 lbs, except for dangerous game rifles which I set for 4.5 lbs.

I don't know if these tests would be okay for bench rest rifles with thier very light trigger pulls.

Of course I do these tests with the gun unloaded Big Grin

Roi

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The capability of withstand the bounching to the flor, or a verry rapid slamming of the bolt, is primarily a matter of trigger design. A well designed and well balanced trigger can be adjusted to 1.5 pound and still capable of withstanding both bouncing and slamming.
For safety reasons a trigger should stand a drop from at least 4 fot high and a slamming as fast as you can on a empty magasine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't get my 11/2 oz. triggers to release bouncing a gun.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like to put the safety on then pull the trigger as if firing then do the bounce test. then take the safety off to check if the pin will fall. If it has a half safety , I will go through this process on the half safe (middle position on a three position safety) mode also. Try all posibilities. Then try it off safe, also.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Basically, if a person is intent on carrying a rifle with a round in the chamber into the field for the purpose of taking game, then that trigger should be able to withstand rough handling i.e., heavy slamming and rapid cycling of the bolt, and to some degree, an idiot dropping, or, stumbling and falling with his loaded rifle. A target rifle used in a controlled and well regulated environment need only withstand the closing of the bolt.

I am a firm believer that a hunting rifle need only have a round in the chamber once the target is spotted and identified. It takes very little effort to cycle a round from the magazine to the chamber prior to taking a shot. However, a dangerous game situation requires a live one up the pipe, but in that setting, the trigger can be set with enough tension to withstand an accidental fall or slip.

You should perform the same tests with the safety engaged, i.e. pulling the trigger, jarring the action etc., then after removing the safety, provided the bolt stayed cocked, immediately repeat the test with the safety off and see if it still holds. It should.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am a firm believer that a hunting rifle need only have a round in the chamber once the target is spotted and identified. It takes very little effort to cycle a round from the magazine to the chamber prior to taking a shot. However, a dangerous game situation requires a live one up the pipe, but in that setting, the trigger can be set with enough tension to withstand an accidental fall or slip

thumb

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by malm:
I am a firm believer that a hunting rifle need only have a round in the chamber once the target is spotted and identified. It takes very little effort to cycle a round from the magazine to the chamber prior to taking a shot.

That is rather presumptuous isn't it? None of my centerfires "cycle a round from the magazine"

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
malm, you walk around the Maine woods without a round in the chamber you won't get too meny shots in the course of a thousand years or so.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
None of my centerfires "cycle a round from the magazine"

Confused You only use single shots? To me having a round in a encore is a different issue.

I normally leave the chamber empty if I'm walking. I do a drop test. I also wack the crap out of the back of the bolt (end of the firing pin) with a plastic mallet as well.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I think the drop test is an acid test.. blunt tool, but it works

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
I've got a 2 ounce Shilen trigger on my Dakota solid bottom bench rest actioned varmint rifle. Very few of these actions made. When the trigger is set a 1.5 oz and the rifle is in battery I can bounce the rifle 6" off the ground when dropping it on the buttpad. The trigger will not release. I was very surprised that such a light trigger would not fire when subjected to such abuse. must be a very well designed trigger.

gunmaker

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1852 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brent:

That is rather presumptuous isn't it? None of my centerfires "cycle a round from the magazine"

Brent

Presumptuous? The "cycle a round from the magazine" comment is directed to those who have guns that can. If yours won't, then that particular comment wouldn't apply in your situation.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Malm,
A single shot with a round in the chamber is okay but a magazine rifle is not?

Whatever...
Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Malm,

If the single shot is an encore I don't have a problem with it. The hammer and I believe block give more insurance. If it is a single shot bolt I see it like a normal bolt action. I used to carry a round in the chamber. Until I was elk hunting with a buddy in the heavy woods. Walked through brush. Somewhere along the line my safety was pushed off next heavy brush the rifle went off hanging in the sling from my shoulder. Thanks goodness it was pointed straight up. Since then no round in the chamber. Unless it would be for self protection it isn't worth it to me. If I miss the chance for a shot. There will be another.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Ramrod,
I can see your point. I have a similar "rule". If I have complete control of the muzzle (two handed port arms) I have a round in the chamber and safety on. If I don't have complete control (slung) no round in the chamber and fireing pin down.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brent:
Malm,

Whatever...
Brent

Brent, what page are you on??? I didn't say anything about a single shot. It is obvious that if you can't cycle a round from a magazine, then the comment about cycling a round wasn't meant for you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. got to thinking about this one. Would you need to have a round in the chamber to see if it goes off or not?

hammering

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Malm, I gotcha... though some guys may think round in the chamber is round in the chamber, and in some cases, relying on the safety (double rifles for the most part)

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote