THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    1903 Springfield re-worked into a 20 gauge, can this be done?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1903 Springfield re-worked into a 20 gauge, can this be done?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted
I have somewhat of an odd question, then again I am a odd duck of sorts so what the hell! Are there any limitations on a turnbolt action that would impede it from being rebarreled into a shotgun cartridge. Here is why I ask, I live in an area that is limited to shotgun use. I would really fancy the idea of a single shot bolt action shotgun on an old Springfield which was previously demilled drill rifle. Being the fact I would never feel comfortable rebarreling to any high pressure rifle cartridge I thought that it would be neat to make this into a 20 gauge slug gun. If it is at all possible I would restock on my own. The reason why I even thought of this is because I saw many of the Remo Mausers that were converted to bolt action shotguns.....

Posts: 448 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alvinmack:
I have somewhat of an odd question, then again I am a odd duck of sorts so what the hell! Are there any limitations on a turnbolt action that would impede it from being rebarreled into a shotgun cartridge. Here is why I ask, I live in an area that is limited to shotgun use. I would really fancy the idea of a single shot bolt action shotgun on an old Springfield which was previously demilled drill rifle. Being the fact I would never feel comfortable rebarreling to any high pressure rifle cartridge I thought that it would be neat to make this into a 20 gauge slug gun. If it is at all possible I would restock on my own. The reason why I even thought of this is because I saw many of the Remo Mausers that were converted to bolt action shotguns.....

It has been done on mausers why not on a 03/03a3
I think you answerd your own question? Wink
Time is $$$$$$$$

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
The barrel and receiver modification would be easy. Making it go "boom" would be easy. Extraction would be a different story. Don't know off hand how you would handle that. You sure you don't want something in, say... .410. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
edited out- I should make a habit of reading the entire post before I respond.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Those cold, dark winters in MN can really affect one's mental processes! But to humor your current disability, undoubtedly caused by cabin fever:

I believe that the Mauser shotguns do away with the front locking lugs entirely and just use the rear "safety" lug and bolt handle for breeching. I've never examined one of the Mausers and don't know how they handle extraction, but I'm assuming that the regular extractor hook is simply shortened to match the rim size of the shotshell.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In"Bolt Action Rifles" by de Hass there's a pretty detailed explanation of what was done turn the 98 into a shotgun gun action. Sounds like a lot of work.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
yes, it can be done, I would do it as a single, like ed hubel's 20gr FH
jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have no idea as to cost to convert to shotgun, but did not Browning mfg. the A Bolt in a shotgun form at one time?? Perhaps not a good option, but would think less cost and no bugs to work out?? Just a thought.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike

Come and get that damn Springfield I blued for you.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiteman:
Have no idea as to cost to convert to shotgun, but did not Browning mfg. the A Bolt in a shotgun form at one time?? Perhaps not a good option, but would think less cost and no bugs to work out?? Just a thought.

Marlin and Mossberg also made bolt action shotguns.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Wow! Those cold, dark winters in MN can really affect one's mental processes! But to humor your current disability, undoubtedly caused by cabin fever:

I resemble that remark! homer

quote:
I believe that the Mauser shotguns do away with the front locking lugs entirely and just use the rear "safety" lug and bolt handle for breeching. I've never examined one of the Mausers and don't know how they handle extraction, but I'm assuming that the regular extractor hook is simply shortened to match the rim size of the shotshell.

So the same could be done with a 1903 since it also had the same safety lug that makes contact with the ejection port side of the rear bridge?

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Mike

Come and get that damn Springfield I blued for you.

Duly noted! Thanks Jim

Posts: 448 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiteman:

Yes, Browning did make their A-bolt in 12 Guage Rifled barrel Shotgun. I have one and they are a very nice gun. Here is a photo. They look almost the same as the rifle except that the magazine box sits below the stock line so that you can get 2 shells down.