Find
Notify
Tools

WSM in a MKX action?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
I was wondering if anyone had used the MKX action with the 308/243 length mag box for a WSM case? During coffee this morning I got to thinking about a 257-300WSM in a MKX action I have laying around. Yes I know a 257Wby would be easier I'm sure. But then it wouldn't be different. Wink

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I've got the reamer, Paul .. at least can drive to crosby and get it...

a PITA to get to feed...

Heck, I've even got a barrel that could be reused.. was on a springfield, and long...

there ya go, cheap project..

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i need your action to build a .220 swift on..... pm me if you want to get rid of it....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
need your action to build a .220 swift on..... pm me if you want to get rid of it

While I aprreciate your interest in the action since I puchased it in 1977 and have hung on to it this long I guess I'll keep it. Heck you can't buy them for $87 anymore. Smiler

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course any WSM sucks regardless of the action but it wouldn't suck any more in a MKX than it would in anything else. Although it's not obvious, I'm not a WSM fan. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3783 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
Of course any WSM sucks regardless of the action but it wouldn't suck any more in a MKX than it would in anything else. Although it's not obvious, I'm not a WSM fan. Regards, Bill

Bill,
I think the FACTS are that most people don't appreciate marketing or jamison suing people. The cartridges, however, do EXACTLY as advertised.. and is the ballastics of the WSM "suck" then nearly every other classic round.. 300HH, 7remmag, 270 etc etc etc all "suck"

what DOES suck about them is getting them to feed

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
The WSMs do a lot of things as well as achieving a certain velocity level. They reduce magazine capacity. They increase bolt thrust. While they may do EXACTLY as advertised, they also do it with some pretty impressive pressures. I've seen quite a few 300's whichwould blow the primer right out with factory loads. The combination of high pressures and a larger base is not a good combination.
Anyway, I don't mean to offend but I do poke fun at the WSM's from time to time. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3783 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Bill,
If i posted pictures of JUST THE PRIMER of factory 270 wins and factory 300 WSM, you couldn't tell the difference.. they operate at the same pressure.

Oh, dont' get me wrong, they are certainly a gimmick, but one that WORKS ... I am not the biggest fan of them, however, to slam them for anything other than being a gimmick isnt quite far.

I mean, seriously, what does the 30-06 do that the 8x57 doesn? and what does the 300 HH do that the 30-06 doesnt? or the 300 win that then 300HH doen't? and what does the wsm do that the 300 win doesn't?

let's face FACTS
the 375 HH is 62,800PSI spec
the 300 WSM is 65,000psi SPEC ..

3.3% difference in pressure .. that's LESS variation than i get Lot to lot in powder.

Decreased round capacity? that's stretching.. the cases are .009 larger in radius ... the FACT that winchester had a funky spring in some of the latest m70s, that only allowed 2+1 or a tight 3+1 on ALL magnums, including the 7rem, might have lead to this.

Sure, they aren't an exciting new difference, and aren't worth selling your 300 hh/win/webby/norma/etc for, but to a new hunter, the AMMO WAS AND IS AVAILABLE AT WALMART...

300 HH aint..

And, an unfortunate fact, walmart is today the largest retailer of guns and ammo in the US.

hell's bells, man, the 308 was a performance DECREASE from the 30-06, and it still sells like mad

Opinions vary, and I hold mine dear, but like the debate between belts, no belt, rims, rimless, rebated rims, shoulder, and case mouths .. they all work, and work well, its jsut what you like.

me, personally, I can't stand liver .. though I've been known to grill it for my friends if they ask for that rather than steak.

is what it is, and it aint worth getting excited about...

Bill, though (grinning) I bet you don't have any use for the 375 ruger vs 375 hh, either?

476AR,

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Count me in as one who sees little need for the short mags also. I recently was discussing the guild show with someone and they mentioned they didn't remember seeing one rifle chambered in a short mag. I had to say I couldn't either. They obviously aren't very popular with folks using custom builders although there could have been one I didn't see.

I remember Dennis Olson's answers about them when I asked him a question once. I mentioned I had heard they could be a pain sometimes to get to feed properly. His answer, "Always"!! I then asked if he barreled many rifles for them. He replied, "Not any more"!! Wink

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well I have at least 4 coffee since I asked this question. After thinking about it I've decided at least in my case it didn't make much sense. The MKX action and mag box are plenty long enough for the normal magnums. While the one I was talking about had the spacer in the back I have a normal magnum action laying right next to it. Why go to the trouble of trying to make a wsm case work and feed? A 257Wby, 264wmag or even a 257-7mag makes a lot more since.

Thanks for your thoughts. Didn't mean to open the old WSM bag of worms.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,
The primers look quite a bit different when one of them is laying in the magazine because the primer pocket is now ten thou oversized. I don't care what the claimed pressure is; when the primers blow with factory ammunition in a factory rifle, there's a problem. This is a problem I've not seen in rifles chambered for a 270 Winchester in over 30 years of gunsmithing but one which is all too common in the WSM's. I have had to freebore WSM,s to enable the owners to shoot that ammo they could buy at Wal-Mart (worked good BTW).
Actually, I think the 375 Ruger is a reasonably good cartridge and from a practical stndpoint, prefer it to the H&H. After all, it is essentially the 30 Newton necked up and I like the Newton( My theory is that, had Winchester chambered the Newton cartridges, we would never have seen the H&H in a US made factory rifle and a whole raft of cartridges would never have seen the light of day but that's a whole 'nother subject!). The 375 Ruger fits a Mauser or a Ruger or a pre-64 M70. The H&H does not.
I always was a fan of the 375 Chatfield-Taylor and the Ruger is similar but without the belt (we've all known belts were superfluous for years but the average shooter didn't believe it until the ad agencies told him). By the way, I'm presently working on a 375 Ruger in a Mauser and it's a good fit and should make a good rifle. I could make it in a WSM but then it would suck!!! WinkRegards, Bill.