THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Advantages/Disadvantages of Various Bedding Compounds...

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advantages/Disadvantages of Various Bedding Compounds...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of RenegadeRN
posted
Uh...think I made a mistake last time and asked this question the wrong way....

What are the advantages or disadvantages of using the various bedding compounds in wood, composite, or kevlar/plastic type stocks? Is it stock material dependent or caliber dependent or recoil dependent? I have a Rem 700 in .308 in an HS stock AND a .35 Whelen in a laminate stock that need bedding. I have a fiberglass type bedding kit and was wondering what the general consensus was about using other than fiberglass bedding kits in this application? I've noted, after researching, glass bedding typically has been used for wood type stocks and metal filled epoxy bedding for kevlar/laminate type stocks? So hence the question of advantages and disadvantages.

Renegade

'I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisable, with liberty and justice for all.'

Posts: 171 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
R'RN.

I bought a HS stock for my Rem 700s/a (.243win) a few years back and once when cleaning it found that there wasn't actually a lot of contact between the action and the chasis inside the stock. So after a bit of searchin' a good friend gave me half a pack of Devcon Alluminium Putty (2 pack)and with a sharp intake of breath l endevoured to bed the old gass pipe, long story short form here on in.... it turned a 3/4 gun into a 1/4 gun. The other thung I did was to buy a torque wrench to set the action screws up to a set limit of 55ft/lbs. As for wood stocks l'm sure that some other kind gentleman on here will come along to help you with this part of your question.

All the best.

Dave.

Posts: 386 | Location: Displaced Yorkshireman | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
There is a lot of buzz about the metalized epoxies being a better bedding compound (devcon plastic steel). Rifles have been done with fiberglass resins for years. What you are looking for in your choice (no matter what stock) is a stiff bedding compound that is not prone to cracking under stress. I use plastic steel mostly because I like the color when it is finished and finishes really nice. For those that like the brown color, fiberglass is probably a better way to go.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brownells sells bedding compound dye so you can get the brown,or black color to match your stock.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
marine tex grey is an excellent bedding compound.. doesn't really die well. think PUTTY when working with it

steelbed is fun, works pretty good, doesn't die well, not quite as think as marinetex

acragel - dies very well, not as think as above
acraglass dies very well, runs like hot honey
devon (various metal products) expensive, great
jbweld/megastick - not the best, but better than winchester's hotglue ... improved a personal 300win from 2" to submoa in 1 hour ... hey, i was 27 when i did that,
jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RenegadeRN
posted Hide Post
I asked this question because I DO have a glass jel kit I received when I purchased an intructional DVD on how to bed rifles. There appears to be enuff materials in the kit to do a couple rifles. My 308 with the HS Precision stock has the aluminum block in it and was wondering if it would be better all around for me to purchase and bed the 308 with a plasticized/metalized bedding kit vice the glass jel kit? Or would it matter?

'I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisable, with liberty and justice for all.'

Posts: 171 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Dave, I hope you mean inch pounds on that torque!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote