THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

why not WIN or other factories chambering 33-06?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi
according to many hunters 33 06 is one of the best compromise ,but factories ignoring tis fine caliber. please give me your opinion.
best regards
Danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Danny,

I think that both the 338/06 and 35 Whelen are calibres that shooters will choose to either rebarrel or rebore a 30/06 but would not buy a new rifle in either caliber. In that case they would choose 338 Winchester.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Danny, I don't agree with Mike, but I don't think the public would buy them in large enough numbers for the major manufacturers to make them profitable. Several years ago there were rumors that this was to be the next "new" round coming out and it never happened. Doubt that it will now with all the short magnum mania.

Chic

[This message has been edited by Customstox (edited 01-17-2002).]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
Sorry to get off topic but has anyone heard about Winchester doing the 338WSM and a 375WSM any time soon? I shoot a 338-06 and I've been thinking about building a 375-06. I would have greater powder capacity and more room to seat the bullet out in a Mauser action with the WSM case. A factory cartridge makes the reamer available and the dies cheap as well as better component avialability.

Thanks,

-Catter

------------------
Shoot the largest caliber you can shoot well, and practice , practice, practice.

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chic,

I imagine another problem for the 338/06 and 35 Whel is that preices for ammo and rifles probaly need to be higher than say the 270 or 30/06 but I don't those prices would eb prices that the market would pay.

Undoubtedly calibers such as 375 H&H remain fully viable because of generally higher prices for rifles and components.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Weatherby sells .338-06 ammo for about $42.00 per box of 20. However, they always produce high quality ammo. I believe their ammo is loaded by Norma?

It is possible that Federal will be loading ammo for it in the near future, because lots of people are replacing .30-06 barrels with .338-06 barrel nowadays. Dies for the .338-06 are in high demand right now.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote