New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brownells Sako Sale
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was just wandering around the Brownells site and saw that they had a couple different Sako 75 actions for sale @ about $410 a piece. My question is this, I was looking to build a new rifle for F-Class competition and was pretty much set on a blueprinted Rem700, so would I be better off with the Sako or the 700?

The price for the Sako would be less than getting ahold of a Remington and having it blue printed, but is it worth saving a few bucks?

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<sure-shot>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by DanD:
I was just wandering around the Brownells site and saw that they had a couple different Sako 75 actions for sale @ about $410 a piece. My question is this, I was looking to build a new rifle for F-Class competition and was pretty much set on a blueprinted Rem700, so would I be better off with the Sako or the 700?

The price for the Sako would be less than getting ahold of a Remington and having it blue printed, but is it worth saving a few bucks?

Chester's Hunting & Fishing has Rem 700ADL actions for $340 delivered. I called them just yesterday. Remember the Rem 700 is the small block chevy of bolt guns. Smith's love em cause they are easy to make shooters out of em. The Sako 75 is excellent also though and probably better quality, just more in price I thought. Chester's phone # is 516-696-3800. sure-shot

<allen day>
posted
I just worked with a Sako Model 75 action a few days ago. My advice to you is stick with the Model 700. The Sako has a gimicky, complicated striker assembly that requires a special tool to disassemble (said tool is furnished by Sako) and it's a real pain in the neck to get back together. As far as I'm concerned, the Model 75's striker assembly/bolt lock system is way over-engineered (read poorly engineered), and it's THE serious design deficiency of that action. The rest of it's quite nice.

To me, the simplicity of the Mauser 98, Model 700, Model 70, and M-77 Mark II actions simply can't be beat.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats what I thought, KISS is the only rule in actions. "Keep It Simple, Stupid"

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote