Notify
Tools

Some people shouldn't be allowed to work on guns
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
Namely me!

I bought a stainless, fluted 243 barrel and decided to put it on an old Savage 110CL that I bought 25 years as a 243 but converted to 22/250 15 years ago.

I got the old barrel off with no problems and installed the new Sharp Shooeter Supply (SSS) stainless recoil lug and nut. I got the barrel in the action, lined up the lug and put a fired case in the bolthead and screwed the barrel in until it felt solid and tightened up the barrel nut.

I then opened the bolt and pulled the fired case out and then decided to drop it on the magazine carrier and feed it in again. I closed the bolt and then opened it up and there's no case. I looked in the chamber and could see the cartridge head so I shut the bolt again, opened it and it still wouldn't extract the case. Using a cleaning rod, the case pushed out with no problem.

I pulled the bolt out, examined the extractor and decided that it looked worn. So I changed it out with one off of a spare bolthead that I had on hand. I clip another case in the bolt head and the extractor held it firmly. I reinstalled the bolt, dropped another case on the follower, fed it into the chamber and closed the bolt again. I opened the bolt and the case was still in the chamber. Now I'm swearing at it as there is obviously something wrong with this barrel.

I loosen the barrel nut, re-check the headspace by feeling the barrel contact solidly and re-tighten the nut. Open the bolt and there's no cartridges case again!

Obviously there is a difference in the old 110 bolthead and the newer barrels so since I was going to order a new stock for this gun anyway, I decide that I'll have to send it in to SSS to get this thing assembled correctly. I tape the bottom metal, action bolts and magazine release to the barreled action to get it ready to ship and decide that I better include a couple of fired cases that my dies are adjusted to to give SSS a reference point.

I took another fired case from the plastic box and shut the lid and then noticed that the cartridge box said "22.250" on it.

Yes, I had just spent an hour trying to headspace a 243 barrel using fired 22.250 cases!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin it happens!! I'm just curious though, is that the right way to headspace the barrel? (not meaning with a 22/250 but meaning by tightening it in against a fired case?)

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Frank,

Wanna open a shop togther!...LoL

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornThere are pluses and minuses when using a fired case that has not been resized. Kinda depends on the expertise and anylitical ability of the doer and the limit bouncing boobs affect you. Take down those calanders, Frank. fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why don't you take it to a real gunsmith with proper gages?

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:

and if he had a 22-250 headspace gage and a 243 headspace gage, what difference would there have been?

using the wrong tool on an oversight is the moral of the story here..

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39696 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing, I got a kick out of it even if you didn't.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:

and if he had a 22-250 headspace gage and a 243 headspace gage, what difference would there have been?

Ahh...gosh...thanks for showing me the error of my ways, Jeff!...how terribly stupid of me! All this time I thought he was using once fired, resized brass as a gage

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So you feel better.

Posts: 663 | Location: Seabeck WA | Registered: 06 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Like you, he needs a vacation! fishing

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ahh...gosh...thanks for showing me the error of my ways, Jeff!...how terribly stupid of me! All this time I thought he was using once fired, resized brass as a gage

well, shucks, Duane, he was... but if he had used a proper 22-250 gage, he STILL couldnt have headspaced it, could he?

nope.. the guy shared a screwup, to warn us all about being in a hurry and not paying attention.

476AR,

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Smalser:

i gotta know the backstory here

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:i gotta know the backstory here

A decade+ ago I brought a Bedoin relic back from the Empty Quarter in Oman after a tour there, literally trading for it off a camel's back after a couple hours of tea and talking rifles.

I had taken my youngest boy on a desert adventure in the wild west of the Yemen border area, and we stopped in a border village for supplies. There was an impromptu market or souk in the shade of the only 2-story building, which turned out to be the local bank, with Bedu and merchants from miles around conducting trade. After bargaining for a few guns, we settled on this one because we didn't have a silver-mounted Mark III yet.

So there we were, the only anglos within a hundred+ miles, in a buffer zone we weren't spose to be in, standing next to a bank, border patrol, soldiers and Yemeni tribal smugglers all around town, everyone packing of course, and after closing the deal my new Bedu friend loads a round in the chamber, points the rifle skyward and fires off a round as I'm frantically trying to stop him. The local custom being, of course, to test fire the rifles at the end of the deal to show good faith.

Fortunately nobody even blinked. Smiles, thanks and handshakes all around, I tossed the rifle into the truck and we hastily drove away. Three hours away. Wink

The bore was worn and fouled, but I had confidence I could bring the barrel back to life with a few hours of JB bore paste and elbow grease.

You can see by the keyholing I was slightly mistaken on that count, too. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

well, shucks, Duane, he was... but if he had used a proper 22-250 gage, he STILL couldnt have headspaced it, could he?

nope.. the guy shared a screwup, to warn us all about being in a hurry and not paying attention.

Well, ahh shucks Jeffe, I think what Duane was saying was the guy did make a mistake and if he had sent it to a gunsmith it would have saved a lot of time.

I do think he (Fjold) is quite noble in allowing the rest of us to chuckle at his error. It ain't like we have not made a couple of dumb errors of our own and the guy wanted to see if he could do it himself. Like the time I was ready to send a new band saw blade back because they had welded it with the teeth pointing the wrong way.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well, ahh shucks Jeffe, I think what Duane was saying was the guy did make a mistake and if he had sent it to a gunsmith it would have saved a lot of time.

I do think he (Fjold) is quite noble in allowing the rest of us to chuckle at his error. It ain't like we have not made a couple of dumb errors of our own and the guy wanted to see if he could do it himself. Like the time I was ready to send a new band saw blade back because they had welded it with the teeth pointing the wrong way.

Provided it was sent to a gunsmith who knew what direction the teeth of his saw blade was supposed to be pointing. Big Grin

It doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to install and headspace a Savage 110 barrel. Just a little clear thinking and the right gear (gauges). I doubt Frank will ever do that again.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I know it hurts the professional gunsmith's feelings but I set my Savage barrels off of my dies and then check them with a no-go gauge to make sure the headspace isn't excessive.

This is a very common way of doing it with Savage barrels and eliminates excessive working of the brass. I don't shoot factory ammunition in my guns so I typically have chambers cut to minimum body dimensions and tighter necks so everything has to be set to match that, not a generic go-gage.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Like the time I was ready to send a new band saw blade back because they had welded it with the teeth pointing the wrong way.

Now that's funny....well almost. I just about had myself convinced mine was just left handed. That's when the "WAIT A MINUTE" light goes off.

Thanks for sharing Frank.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Curious, What did you trade for this beauty?

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank, thanks for letting me know that there are others like me. clap

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try the old Speer RN .313 bullet or a cast bullet even larger.
But I have to ask. Did it have any rust in the bore?

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Like the time I was ready to send a new bandsaw blade back because they had welded it with the teeth pointing the wrong way."

Reminds me of when I opened up the letter stamp box and being in a fowl mood yelled out to the whole shop "Who blankety blank put all the letters back in the box upside down".

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
Did it have any rust in the bore?

No....no rust. I have a new barrel and can undo and redo the silverwork, but the barrel has a deep Brit demil stamp on it I don't like.

quote:
Originally posted by JD Miller:
Curious, What did you trade for this beauty?

Oh, slightly less than a hundred bucks in rials as I recall.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
holycowSwapping barrels on Savage rifles does not require GUNSMITH Talent.MHO claproger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
holycowSwapping barrels on Savage rifles does not require GUNSMITH Talent.MHO claproger

I agree with you Rogeer, however, some people should not attempt it and I don't ncesessarily include Fjold in this.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This day has been truely lousy but I feel better now. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I take special care,...now..., to keep all 22-250 ammo/brass completely separate ftrom .243 ammo/brass when out shooting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Early Savages had a very different bolt head with an external c-clip extractor.

If that bolt face recess is deeper in that old bolt head, you may have been "headspacing" using the bolt nose against the back of the barrel.

Measure the bolt face recess depth. Measure the amount the headspace guage extends from the uninstalled barrel. The second measurement should be greater than the first.

Bruce

Posts: 217 | Location: SW WA | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote